News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Rest of World Aerial
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
We have a current US series, UK series, European series. Let' s cast the net a little wider. Which club is this? I rather fancy that there has been some re-routing towards the north of the course.

RJ_Daley

Re: Rest of World Aerial
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
Mark, Is that course in Florence Italy?

I've been meaning to bring up a point about this ever increasing quality of aerial photo tech, and how Google is now doing "Street Views" in every urban area of US. 

I assume they drive a car with one of those 360 cameras down every street in the area being mapped-photographed. 

Can you imagine if we used that mounted on a golf cart, down every centerline of FW on courses.  You'd literally get a complete view of the course, the extent of elevation changes, the whole enchillada.  It would almost put an end to the old caveat that you can't judge a course by just looking at pictures.... not quite, but it would be an exponential advance in rating and reviewing and previewing golf courses. 

With all the course being walked and GPS'd now for all these 'skycaddie' gismos.  Can a true eye level 360 view like Google's "Street View" be far behind? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
RJ, No it's not. There won't be any US/Canada, Continental Europe or UK courses under this heading. Funnily enough, prompted by your suggestion I looked up Ugolino on Google Eart and it looks like parched earth, whereas this course looks lush and green.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
I should have known it wasn't Firenze immediately, due to color or roofs.  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »
Here's Ugolino for comparison:

Bother, that means that I can't use it for a future European aerial - but I'm hardly short of options....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
Oldest club outside the British Isles?

Marc Haring

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
Royal Calcutta I guess then Mark?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
Spot on, Marc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back