News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Is there linksland...
« on: November 26, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
...anywhere that has good weather?

Garland Bayley

Re: Is there linksland...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
Are you kidding? All links courses have fabulous weather!

Or, are you asking about boring SoCal weather?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes, Tasmania?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »
I never have been there, but I'd sure like to see if some of that stuff along the coast of Chile qualifies.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
I will report back as to the weather conditions at Humewood GC in Port Elizabeth South Africa after our visit this Dec. It is said to be a true links and the climate on the Cape of Africa is meant to be very Mediterranean like. I suspect Durban CC may qualify as well.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
I never have been there, but I'd sure like to see if some of that stuff along the coast of Chile qualifies.

Having spent several days on a ferry in Chilean Patagonia, I can confidently state that it does not have reliably good weather.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/963346714/in/set-72157601122343851/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/969589257/in/set-72157601122343851/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:34:36 PM by Guy Nicholson »

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
I agree w/ Barnbougle Dunes down in Tasmania.  Back in my 20's I spent 5 month down in Australia and the weather was great.  November, December and January are their summer months.  Unfortunately, I didn't tee it up while there.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »
Atlantic Coast of France
The road to the West of Marseille
Fortaventura
The Algarve
Newcastle Co.Down ;)

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
what wrong with scottish weather

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »
I just came back from England where I played links golf for four days straight before heading inland.  It was in the 40's with 15-35 mile an hour winds.  The courses had plenty of players.  I thought the weather was perfect.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »
El Saler

Scott Coan

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 06:47:19 AM »
Paraparaumu Beach not only has good weather, it has great links weather.  Can play it 52 weeks a year.  Never too hot or cold but almost always has a great  breeze if not a howling northerly.  And when the winds not from the N/NW its from the dead south so you virtually get to play 2 completely different courses.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »
Any links course in Scotland can be played 52 weeks a year.  I've played in shirtsleeves in Dornoch on New Year's Day.  Of course I've also played in snow in May, but that's just a mere bagatelle.... ;)

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Most links courses I have played have always had good weather...

A strong wind! Often with some wet stuff falling from the sky for added fun?

Occasionally there is very bad weather...

No wind!!!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David Botimer

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »
...anywhere that has good weather?

Matt,

You might have asked a question with an oxymoronic leaning.  True linksland is shaped by the forces of weather and sea.  It is certainly capable of temporary tranquility, but that is not the nature of the weather that creates true linksland.  Are The Links at Spanish Bay or Grand Cypress New Course links courses? Uhh, NO!!  Do they look linksy?  Of course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back