News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Isaacs

Re: Pac 12 Championships at LACC: Max Homa (Cal) Shoots 61 (-9)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
Little understated, I think.

"A game I am not familiar with"

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
For those in LA the event continues tomorrow and Wednesday.  It's free to spectators and a great opportunity to walk the course, there are no ropes.  I took photos but my memory card filled up after about 6 holes on the back 9.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
From the results, what jumps out more than anything is the fact that a really solid host team, USC, is playing well below expectations.  Having once played there quite a bit  back in the late 70's and early 80's, LACC is the kind of course that becomes psychologically more difficult the better  you understand its challenges.  Cal is a stacked team, but its best player, Micheal Kim, is  at +4.  This is interesting because he is tied with Anthony Paolucci who was his more successful rival and the can"t miss San Diego propect, while Micheal Kim only was given a chance to make the Cal team.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:29 AM »
So this isn't being played at altitude? 290 and 270 yard par 3s!
Cave Nil Vino

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
was not aware that they had lengthened 7 and 11 that much, but those yardages would be consistent with how they played back in the "good old days"  I do know that Cal has a couple of players who can get around 190mph ball speed when they let it go.  also, Paolucci of USC, and Wilson of Stanford have 120+ clubhead speed.  Would be surprised if less than 20 players have that kind of speed--it really is scary how far the college players now hit the ball.

David Ober

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
was not aware that they had lengthened 7 and 11 that much, but those yardages would be consistent with how they played back in the "good old days"  I do know that Cal has a couple of players who can get around 190mph ball speed when they let it go.  also, Paolucci of USC, and Wilson of Stanford have 120+ clubhead speed.  Would be surprised if less than 20 players have that kind of speed--it really is scary how far the college players now hit the ball.

Yes it is. I play with the college guys in big tournaments sometimes, and they outdrive me by 35 to 80 yards every single hole. Sometimes 100 yards. It's just a different game.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

William_G

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
http://www.golfstatresults.com//public/leaderboards/player/static/pdetail60278_4222.html#

#7 is super long
#11 does play downhill LOL

the greens are just huge and can be diabolical at LACC
It's all about the golf!

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »

They added a (couple?) tees on 7 that make it play like a short par 4. I would imagine that for most that hole at 290 yards does not feel like a par 3.

Both those holes sound frighteningly terrific from those yardages. We don't see enough of them!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »
I didn't get to the front 9 on Monday but when I was out there today #7 was not playing at 290...I would guess 250 (long irons or hybrids).

The hole I found most interesting was #6.  There was a three group backup on the tee and I didn't see a single player go to the left and into the fairway.  Each player cut the corner and went for the green or right side of the green.  The first group I watched all were either short of the front bunker or in the front bunker and made a mess of the hole.  In the second group, 2 of the 3 pushed their tee shots right into the trees.  They both ended up ok.  The third group more of the same.

Walking the course was great.  Getting back to the motorcycle and realizing I left my lights on wasn't so great...

William_G

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
I didn't get to the front 9 on Monday but when I was out there today #7 was not playing at 290...I would guess 250 (long irons or hybrids).

The hole I found most interesting was #6.  There was a three group backup on the tee and I didn't see a single player go to the left and into the fairway.  Each player cut the corner and went for the green or right side of the green.  The first group I watched all were either short of the front bunker or in the front bunker and made a mess of the hole.  In the second group, 2 of the 3 pushed their tee shots right into the trees.  They both ended up ok.  The third group more of the same.

Walking the course was great.  Getting back to the motorcycle and realizing I left my lights on wasn't so great...

on #6, for these players there is no reason not to cut the corner blind, classic hole, (reminiscient of #12 @ CP albeit not the same)
It's all about the golf!

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
The Cal golf team wins its 10th tournament of the season:

http://blog.sfgate.com/ongolf/

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
I played LACC North for the first time about a month ago. It blew me away. Deserves to be among the elite courses in the US.

I can't fathom someone shooting 61.

Bob

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
The 61 seems to be the score that jumps out, but aside from a couple great scores in the first round, the golf course thoroughly beat up a lot of top level college golfers.  Its great to hear that the lure of a potential eagle on the 6th made a buch of players fail to take the best route for scoring a birdie--this is architecture working at its best.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:32:18 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
The 61 seems to be the score that jumps out, but aside from a couple great scores in the first round, the golf course thoroughly beat up a lot of top level college golfers.  Its great to hear that the lure of a potential eagle on the 6th made a buch of players fail to take the best route for scori g a birdie--this is architecture working at its best.

Robert -

You have piqued my curiosity. Do you know where I might find scoring spreads for the Pac 12 tourney?

Bob

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
The 61 seems to be the score that jumps out, but aside from a couple great scores in the first round, the golf course thoroughly beat up a lot of top level college golfers.  Its great to hear that the lure of a potential eagle on the 6th made a buch of players fail to take the best route for scori g a birdie--this is architecture working at its best.

Robert -

You have piqued my curiosity. Do you know where I might find scoring spreads for the Pac 12 tourney?

Bob
The first post has a good link.  61 low 85 high.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
From the results, what jumps out more than anything is the fact that a really solid host team, USC, is playing well below expectations.  Having once played there quite a bit  back in the late 70's and early 80's, LACC is the kind of course that becomes psychologically more difficult the better  you understand its challenges.  Cal is a stacked team, but its best player, Micheal Kim, is  at +4.  This is interesting because he is tied with Anthony Paolucci who was his more successful rival and the can"t miss San Diego propect, while Micheal Kim only was given a chance to make the Cal team.

An interesting comment and I agree wholeheartedly.  LACC becomes more difficult every time I am there.  However as a member at Riviera I found it more playable over time.  I think I prefer the latter, but I hadn't really thought too much about this before.
Calling Gil Hanse, new tees for the Walker Cup in 2016, without addressing the ball, they will be hitting it farther by then.
Congrats to Cal, coached by a former hoopster.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back