News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Resurrecting Merion
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »
All you Merion worshippers who frequent this website will enjoy this piece by Joe Logan in the latest issue of Golf World:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/columnists/2009/08/golf_walkercup_merion_logan_0831

It reads more like something out of the Merion GC public relations dept.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Resurrecting Merion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »
What should it read like?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »
Quite obviously, no course gets more discussion on this website than Merion. 

What often gets overlooked is that the Merion membership has done an exceptional job of preserving the course and should, IMO, be applauded for agreeing to host so many USGA events. Not all memberships would be as magnanimous.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
The article is also important inasmuch as it confirms the conventional wisdom as it relates to firm and fast conditions and tree removal.
Its not as though this group needs reminding but the more that message is spread, the better for the game

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
Couple of Merion pictures from 1938  available from the Perry Maxwell Collection auction...

http://www.greenjacketauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=6385&getauctionid=70

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
I loved Logan's article.  Merion doesn't need a PR department - I can't think of a club that does things better. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
I loved Logan's article.  Merion doesn't need a PR department - I can't think of a club that does things better.  

Dan,

I guess the question is better for whom?

Iredale and Merion president Rick Ill blame the condition of the course in '89 on cuts in the maintenance budget, which they attribute to a shift in the club's priorities during much of the 1980s and early 1990s. "We had a series of presidents and leaders on the board, guys who didn't have a serious interest in competitive or championship golf," says Iredale.

Let's keep this in perspective. This was not Yale Golf Course in 1989. The course has always played in US Open conditions, and I can't remember Merion ever slipping below a Top 10-12 US rating. The 1989 Amateur being in August (with Chris Patton sweating like a dog!) is never going to have June US Open conditions unless you spend a ton of money. It was a Members course back in that era and guest fees were much lower and rarely did you have to worry about a tee time on The East. Now with a budget of $2.5 million (saw it published here once) and guest fees to match it, Merion has become a destination for every Peg Hunter across the world.

Is that better? I for one miss some aspects of the quieter era and while I am once again surprised to see from Craig another architect (Perry Maxwell) who did work on the course, I continue to say that if they touch those greens FOR a US Open, then Merion has gone too far.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:19:49 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
Mike,

Those photos do not indicate that Maxwell worked there.  Those were just photos that Maxwell supposedly owned of the course.  He more than likely visited the course on one or more of his many trips into Philadelphia to work at other courses around town.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
Thanks. I have read too many of these Merion threads, and that sounded strange.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
I too would like JP to elaborate on his statement that it sounded like "It was out of the Merion PR department"; I second the question what should it have sounded like?

JP were you the one who gave Merion a 3; if I recall you played after they punched the greens; I remember a statement comparing Merion to the "local muni".

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
I loved Logan's article.  Merion doesn't need a PR department - I can't think of a club that does things better.  

Dan,

I guess the question is better for whom?

It was a Members course back in that era and guest fees were much lower and rarely did you have to worry about a tee time on The East. Now with a budget of $2.5 million (saw it published here once) and guest fees to match it, Merion has become a destination for every Peg Hunter across the world.

Is that better? I for one miss some aspects of the quieter era and while I am once again surprised to see from Craig another architect (Perry Maxwell) who did work on the course, I continue to say that if they touch those greens FOR a US Open, then Merion has gone too far.

Mike,
I bet a lot of Pine Valley and Shinnecock members share the same sentiment
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
I went to Merion today to buy my Walker Cup tickets. The course looked terrific. If today's weather- no humidity and 70s- holds up through next weekend then the course will be presented in ideal condition. As it turned out, today was a Media Day for the press and I saw Joe Logan and congratulated him on this article.

I remember JPBlain's post about his unfortunate choice of day in playing Merion during aerification. He should return now.His host owes him one.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ChipOat

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 01:10:03 AM »
Re: The pictures from Maxwell

The one on the left of the 4th green would appear to be from a tournament round of some kind.  The 1934 Open was the closest event to 1938 although events like the Lesley Cup could draw a modest gallery, as well.

Any ideas when that picture was taken?

corey miller

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »

"I remember JPBlain's post about his unfortunate choice of day in playing Merion during aerification. He should return now.His host owes him one.'

If JP posted on a public website that Merion was comparable to a local muni and a Doak "3"... I am not sure his host owes him anything though perhaps JP owes his host an apology.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back