News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Ringway pictures
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »
Ringway is a course only two or three miles from my house. The club opened in 1909 with a 12-hole course. Harry Colt was called in in 1912 for an 18-hole course. Further land became available after the First World War and Colt returned to enlarge the existing course. There were minor alterations which need not concern us now, but James Braid made a visit shortly before his death in 1950. He walked the course, made mental notes and wrote to the club shortly after with his suggestions. He died before these alterations were made, but they were implemented by James Braid Jnr, who was a member of Ringway. There is a particularly good interactive aerial view of Ringway at http://www.ringwaygolfclub.co.uk/course.php which you may care to follow while looking at the pictures. It is a very compact site, with not a square foot of unused ground. Consequently there are many parallel holes with corridors of trees planted for separation and safety. Although its overall length is 6482 yards with a par of 71, there is a higher proportion of par 4s over 400 yards in length than at many of the other local clubs such as Wilmslow or Prestbury. The clubhouse was burned down in 1987. Workmen lit a bonfire and went to the pub for lunch. The wind changed direction and when the workmen returned they no longer had a job! The new clubhouse is most comfortable and the membership and professional staff are warmly friendly to visitors. It is literally five minutes from Manchester Airport, so if your plane gets in earlier than expected this could be your first round of the day.

1. 327 yards par 4. A short two-shotter curving gently past two trees (the club emblem) which were there when the course was built. What you cannot see is that your tee shot is played across the front of the clubhouse, rather like Hoylake. The bunkers are serious here.

2. 528 yards par 5. As you can see, the trees can be intimidating. More to the point, the fairway curves to the right as it climbs but the fairway leans to the left. The enormously lengthy green is almost a reverse Biarritz, with a rising apron at the front, a long, higher middle section and a lower portion at the back where this flag was cut. This was on the day of a local professionals' competition and they had selected some wicked pin positions. Additionally, there was a heavy dew and the ground was saturated. Even for them the cpourse played very long.

3. 168 yards par 3. Visually the plainest hole on the course, but the bunkers can be tricky if you finish under the steep faces.

4. 289 yards par 4. Again, visually not much to speak of from the tee. Surely it can be driven. But the green is small and the bunkering plentiful. There is an opening at the front of the green, but failure to find it could lead to dropping shots. There is the additional peril that the green is squeezed into a corner of the property and out of bounds is very close at hand on the right.

5. 423 yards par 4. A lovely hole with a slightly angled drive to a running fairway with visible bunkers. The green is sunk in a hollow, and fun to approach with a running shot.

6. 413 yards par 4. Largely on the flat, with further serious bunkers. Nice to see a player carrying.

7. 450 yards par 4. A very strong hole. The drive is made downhill to a fairway running slightly left to right. The second shot (normally a wooden club shot for longer handicap players) is made slightly obliquely to the right over and between bunkers which can devour the slightest mishit. There is a fall off below the green to the left.

8. 130 yards par 3. A most attractive short hole, played slightly uphill over bumpy ground. The two-level putting surface is surrounded by a number of man-sized bunkers.

9. 476 yards par 5. Drive narrowed by trees and bunkers as fairway curves to the left, climbing slightly through further bunkers to a green with a little step up at the front.

10. 532 yards par 5. An appealing drive, and there is always a temptation to bite off too much of the curve. Big hitters need to be on the left if they intend to get home in two. The mound to the right of the green is far from friendly.

11. 362 yards par 4. This hole is a combination of two earlier holes, and is a very sharp dog-leg to the left, with an approach to the green over a little stream.

12. 403 yards par 4. Another two-shotter on which the approach is governed by bunkers.

13. 179 yards par 3. A very attractive short hole, just sufficiently uphill to add a club or two to the length. Nice to see them hand-raking the bunkers.

14. 451 yards par 4. The drive is very similar to that on the 10th. Again, the green is well bunkered.

15. 415 yards par 4. A strong hole with perhaps the best approach shot on the course.

16. 177 yards par 3. Seemingly innocuous from the tee, but there is venom around the green for those who err.

17. 406 yards par 4. A Braid hole with a drive on the flat to the marker cross, then quite steeply downhill to the green on which Tom Williamsen putts.

18. 353 yards par 4. Also a Braid hole, basically straight up the hill towards the church of St Ambrose. But OOB is a threat on the right, and look at where the hole has been cut for the professionals!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:40:56 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Andy Hughes

Re: Ringway pictures 1-9
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »
Mark, not to interrupt, but thanks so much for the tours. You and Sean and a few others never cease to amaze me with the sheer volume of interesting, quality golf in a country that seems, but clearly isn't, too small to have such riches.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Paul_Turner

Re: Ringway pictures 1-9
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
Mark

Thanks, these newest photos show off the terrain, mounding, bunkers and greens very well.  It looks well preserved to me, or at least, if new shaping has been added it has been done with skill and sympathy for a very old course. 

The 4-9 sequence looks to have much variety and some appealing quirk too!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Andrew Mitchell

Re: Ringway pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
Mark

Thanks for these.  Ringway looks interestingwith a good pedigree.  Given its proximity to Manchester Airport is aircraft noise an issue?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
Noise is not a problem. The course is north of the east-west runway. You are aware of general rumble, but a lot of that is traffic on the M56.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
Mark -

As always, your pictures are a pleasure to see. Ringway looks be another wonderful course that was unknown to me.

It is hard to believe it is not listed in the book "1000 Best Courses in Britain and Ireland." Could there really be 1000 courses in B&I better than this one?

DT 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:40 PM »
David, Thank you for your kind words. I am sort of coming to the conclusion that the UK's top 50 probably pick themselves. For the next 100 there are maybe 200 candidates, and it would cruel to have to compile a top 300 list as so many rightful candidates would be omitted. That said, there are around 3,000 courses in the British Isles spread over 2,500+ clubs and I can think of quite a few which have something to woo me - be it charm, beauty, perhaps a single interesting hole. I know very few courses which I would refuse to play simply because they offer nothing at all of interest. We are very lucky at the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Best wishes, Mark.

TEPaul

Re: Ringway pictures New
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
Hmmm, judging from the look of some of those bunkers, greens and a few mounds behind greens (which we sometimes call "pulling up strings") I wonder if Harry Colt mentored the young William Flynn when Colt was over here.

Forget about Macdonald/Whigam's contribution to Merion East, or H.H. Barker's ;)----I wonder if the real "Missing Face" of Merion East is Harry S. Colt.   ???

From an interesting letter from Colt to Hugh Wilson around 1920 I'm just about positive that Hugh Wilson visited Colt in England in the spring of 1912 (from Colt's letter it almost appears Wilson stayed at Colt's house---eg "I think you would approve of my new place from what you felt about my old place"). I wonder if Wilson said to Colt: "Harry, when you come over to the States in 1913 I want you to take this talented young man we have at Merion, William Flynn, under your wing and teach him what you know about greens and bunkering and such because I plan on using him in the future to design and construct for me and my committee."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:46:32 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back