News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Another lost Mackenzie discovered - this one in Scotland
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »
I can report on a discovery made by Alan Jackson of the British Golf Collectors Society that he has kindly relayed to me. It is of a Mackenzie course at Strichen House in Strichen, Aberdeenshire. Strichen is around 15km south of Fraserburgh. Alan is researching lost courses in the UK.

Mention was made to Alan by an old member of Fraserburgh GC that one of the Fraserburgh professionals had laid out a 6-hole course at nearby Strichen in 1914. The course and club did not last long, most likely due to the effect of the Great War. However, the club was resuscitated after the war and Dr MacKenzie laid out a new course, of which 8 holes were open by July 1926, with plans to extend the course to 18 holes.  In the end, this club was no more successful than the first and did not last long.

The local newspaper in nearby Fraserburgh, the Fraserburgh Herald of 13th July 1926 reported:

STRICHEN HOUSE GOLF CLUB

"A commencement with play on the new golf course at Strichen House was made, when in spite of the unfavourable weather conditions, there was a large company of those interested in the game. Mr W C Sleigh, in the absence of the President, read a telegram from Colonel Adamson, wishing the members of the Golf Club every possible success and a happy commencement. Mr R Alexander, the secretary, was instructed to convey the thanks of the company to Colonel Adamson, and to wish him a speedy recovery to complete health. Mr David Ewing, who has been the forester on the Strichen estate for the past 50 years, was called upon by Mr Sleigh to pay the first ball, and the members thereafter had a round. At present the course, which is being laid out to plans by Dr Mackenzie, Leeds, extends to eight holes, but when completed, it will run to a full 18. The work has been proceeding for some weeks past, and it is said that when finished the course will be one of the finest inland courses in the North of Scotland. Some would even leave out from the description the words “inland” and “North”."

I would assume that the Colonel Adamson referred to was the then owner of Strichen House.

This is all Alan has been able to find out about the course, although Strichen House, which was built in 1821, was left to ruin in the 1950's. It was designed in 1821 by the architect John Smith for Thomas Fraser of Strichen who later became Lord Lovat. It was sold to the Bairds of Gartsherrie in 1855 and was later used as a shooting lodge, a hotel, spa with 9 hole golf course and an army billet before being gutted in 1954.

Closeby to Strichen House is a megalithic stone circle. Here's a 1920's Ordnance map of Strichen, presumably prior to the golf course, plus some photos of Strichen House, one as it was and one as today's ruin.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Another lost Mackenzie discovered - this one in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
It's really humbling, isn't it Neil, how much disappears in the wash of history?

Do you think 75-100 years from now someone will engage in a similar quest? One would think not, given databases and so much technology-assisted cataloging of events, assets, transactions, etc.

But databases get overwritten, institutions fail, people of one generation lose interest...

It seems that like many architects today, Mac was a beneficiary of globalization. But what's interesting is it seems he was more of a "glocalist:" global, but within the context of localities at any given time.

There seem to be geographic clusters of designs, each of a specific time. Contrast that with todays globalists whose next design could be on the other side of the earth from the prior one, which itself was far from the prior design, etc.

Not sure this means anything, it probably doesn't, but there it is.

Mark
PS sorry not to contribute to the email stream, hopefully camo inquiries will turn up something. Not to mention writing up a course profile or two...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
Marco

I know you have this "World Atlas of Wine" obsession about golfing terroir, but I think we will find that these secondary and tertiary golfing clusters relate less to the land than to the money that resides there.

Ricardo

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »
M Parodi

On le convient. Ce n'est pas un question du terroir.  Suivez l'argent.
 Toujours suivez l'argent...

L'attente - fait un signalez ironiquement?

Embrouillant,
Marceau

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
Neil:

That sure in interesting particularly with the two photos of Strichen House, and Mark it sure is humbling or at least it sure gives one plenty of pause---eg the time and tide of history!

I really wish the later photo of the ruin was from the front as is the first photo. It looks like the entire roof of the house collapsed.

Mark, it's very interesting what you said about Mackenzie and his history of a number of local projects and generally whereever he went. Something tells me Mackenzie was basically a "networker" par excellence and just from what I can glean about the guy's personality it seems like even if he may not have been that well known going into some region he sure did have an air about him that he knew better than anyone what he was doing! Macdonald obviously carried the same kind of air or aura wherever he went, I think.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
Cue ............more "mean Aberdonian" jokes  .

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »
Mark, and the artist formerly known as Rich
I believe Mark's reference to geographic clusters in this instance was not so much in regard to golfing land (as would be the case with the Melbourne sandbelt, Pinehust pine barrens etc), but rather to geographic spheres of influence or opportunity. It would appear that Mackenzie (and no doubt other architects such as Braid or Colt) picked up work in nearby localities once he had a larger project in a location like Aberdeen, where he designed the Hazlehead Municipal course for the Town Council, and it was built by the BGCCCo. Mackenzie was asked to speak in December of 1924 at an Aberdeen Rotary Club luncheon and he talked about the difficulties encountered when building the Hazlehead course. He gave a tribute to the Aberdonian workmen whom he said had done far better work than any workmen he had to deal with before (Applause). Here Mackenzie would have met and mingled with the local businessmen and landholders and opportunities like the course at Strichen may have come from such a gathering. But I think you could pretty well plot Mackenzie's courses on a map of the UK, and definitely see clusters - around Leeds of course, around Manchester, around Lytham, and Aberdeenshire are some that come to mind. One day I'll get around to doing exactly that and I think the results will be interesting.

Mark
Hope to hear from you more often as things stabilise in the banking world (hopefully).

TE
Sorry, the only photos of the ruined Strichen House I could find were all from this side, it must be more photogenic for some reason. See above re networking. I have found one or two other references to Mackenzie giving talks at business clubs so he wasn't afraid of shameless self promotion!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
I think I was saying the same thing, Neil--it was money/moneyed people who built many of the golf courses in the early 20th century, and they were looking for propinquity to their estates rather than any particular terroir.  Every year or so you see an advert for some old pile with 100s or even 1000s of acres in Aberdeenshire which includes a private golf course.  I know that Archie Simpson earned his beer money by designing courses for the great and good at their estates along the river Dee.  Fascinating times, then.

TAForkaR

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
".....and they were looking for propinquity to their estates....."

They were looking for propinquity were they??

PROPINQUITY???

I'll be damned and go to hell---I guess that pretty much settles it then---we will never be able to live up to those "Propinquity Seekers" back then, not EVER!

Propinquity is unquestionably the neatest, most mysterious and over-all the most alluring word and concept ever conceived of! Or at least it sounds like it is. What colors do you think it came in?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 03:48:49 AM »
Tom

You are obviously too old to have watched "Dobie Gillis," and thus do not remember the motto of Zelda Gilroy, "Propinquity!"

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 04:04:55 AM »
My dear M. Parodi
I admire your perspicacity in the use of propinquity.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back