News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

A nice little clubhouse
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »
Royal North Devon Clubhouse

View of  unpretentious Clubhouse from 18th fairway.  Number one is on the right.

RND is the oldest club in England, still playing on its original site. It was originally designed by Old Tom and completely changed by Fowler.

Their most famous member was John Henry Taylor, five time Open Champion and member of the first triumvirate with Vardon and Braid.  After his playing career John Henry retired to his roots where he stayed until he died.

They still have his locker.

The rest of the men’s locker room.

RND had three British Ams.

RND has a pretty nice little museum.

I’ll post some pictures of the course soon.  RND has an overseas membership that is very inexpensive, has a welcoming membership, and is just a great place to go for a few days.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Melvyn Morrow

Re: A nice little clubhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »

Tommy

I thought that the RND Club House was looking a little tired last year when we visited late last summer. Also whilst it has an overseas membership it IMO lacks some spark. I am not refereeing to the course but to the Club House and to a rather lacklustre Management which seems to have lost it motivation. Pity a great club with many overseas members but of late quite a few have decided not renewed their membership. Would I join or go further north, I would say venture further North, but then that’s only my opinion.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »
Melvin, The chairs in the museum are very worn and some of the tables in the grill room need replacing.  I don't like having to go the kitchen to order food.  I do like what they did to the porch.  It is a nice place to eat. But I agree that the clubhouse is a "little tired."  I don't quite understand it.

The head pro Ian Parker is a terrific pro.  I think he may have the best junior program in England.  At the recent junior skills competition RND had 5 kids in the finals.  He has gone to the schools to "sell" golf.  As a result there are a bunch of kids.

I like the place and the location.  Saunton, St. Enodoc, and Burnham and Berrow are close.  The B&B where I stay is 30 pounds a night.  This time when I went, the owners were not home.  They were in Cyprus. They just had the cleaning lady let me in until they returned the next day.  While it is worn I enjoy going there. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:12:58 PM »

Tommy

Yes, I agree, and I was not referring to the golf side of the management team.

They have so much to be proud of yet the club itself seems to miss out. I am very pro the clubs in the UK in all their forms, they are the heart beat of our golf, but there are some guys who need to wake up - IMHO.

Melvyn

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 06:12:23 AM »
I love the history on offer at RND - it's quirky and loads of fun.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 07:29:39 AM »
Kevin

I believe your comment just backs up my previous statement. The History of the club has been under research for well over a year and yet there is very little on offer, proving my point about the clubs management abilities.

Nick Pearce (who makes some rather good miniature golf clubs and cards) is undertaking the research on behalf of the club, but all the information is at hand.

The Gosset Family is now based I believe in Australia. They started the process around 1853. My understanding of the early history is as follows.

The Rev Isaac Gosset in the early 1850’s was introduced to golf at St Andrews by his brother-in-law General Moncrieff. The Reverend being based at Northam Priory Westward Ho was visited by his cousin a Captain William Gosset (Royal Engineers) in 1854. William was a Member of Prestwick Golf Club while based at Aye.

It was William who suggested that Northam Burrows, the linksland at Bideford Bay would be an ideal site for golf. A quote from Isaac’s son Geroge ‘from that date onwards, golf was played on the Burrows’.

We jump forward to 1858 when records show that the Gossets of Northam purchased golf clubs and balls from Old Tom Morris at Prestwick. According to D Campbell/P Crabtree in their new book on Old Tom confirm that the sum of 5 pounds 9 shillings and 6 pence was paid to Old Tom which included wooden clubs at 3s 6d, irons 4s 6d and gutta balls at 1s each. The connection was through Captain William and a close friendship was formed with the Reverend and Old Tom. This developed in Isaac inviting Old Tom to stay in 1860. He stayed for over 4 weeks in which time he completely redesigned the basic course and introduced & taught the friends of the Reverend the game of golf. Old Tom’s second visit was in 1864 to again re-design and modify the course ready for the formation of the club and registration. His second visit was likened to that of a celebrity. The following quote is from the Rev I Gosset

‘on August 8th (1864),Tom Morris arrived to assist in laying out the links. He played in foursomes daily and attracted some of the county magnates as spectators. He found walking up Bone Hill at the end of a day’s golf a bit tiring. He put in eight days of play’.   

It is also worth noting that the Reverend also kept a record of Old Tom’s play every day and worked out his average for each hole. This must be one of the earliest records of working out Par. The history goes on, but because of the inability of the club to post their full history I thought that those who are interested might like to understand how golf started in the west of England.     

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Neat photos, Tommy.

The first name to jump out at me, from the list of Presidents, is 1886... some guy called Horace Hutchinson, I believe!
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back