News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Pete Dye---Hall-of-Famer
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
Thought it might be appropriate to remind all who care that Pete Dye will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame tomorrow evening--only the fifth architect to be so honored.  (Mackenzie, McDonald, Ross and Trent Jones have preceded him, as has Old Tom, who is in as much (or probably more) for his playing prowess than his prolificness as a course designer.

Greg Norman is presenting Pete, and the ceremony is on The Golf Channel at 9 PM.  If anyone cares to make a comment or offer congrats, it would be my pleasure to get a printed version of this thread to The Dyes once it runs its course.

Ron Farris

Re: Pete Dye---Hall-of-Famer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »
Congratulations to Pete.  He was incredibly inspirational in spurring my interest in golf course architecture, or as he say - golf course building!  My time at Long Cove and Austin CC with Pete will forever be charished.  I regret not being able to be at his induction.  Pete you have changed the lives of a great number of people and your influence upon golf will last forever.    Bless You, Ron Farris.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
Joel,

Thanks for this opportunity.

I've been fortunate to learn golf architecture working with Rod Whitman, up here in Canada, over the past seven years and more. Rod, as many of you know, worked with Mr. Dye for a number of years during the 1980s. It continues to amaze me how often "Pete Dye" comes up when Rod and I are walking a site, talking about golf course design and construction. It's usually Rod referencing something he recalls Mr. Dye doing years ago, which simply by coincidence happens to be applicable to the situation at hand. I think this speaks to the remarkable influence Pete Dye has had on Rod, and many others who also apprenticed with him and have moved on to become successful golf course designers and builders in their own right.

Pete Dye is very deserving of his induction in the World Golf Hall of Fame; and, on a personal note, I consider myself very fortunate to occasionally gain some "Dye knowledge", filtered through Rod Whitman.
jeffmingay.com

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:18:51 PM »
congrats Pete!  a long overdue honor to one of the best and most important and influential architects in the game's history...I've had the pleasure of playing so many of his courses:  all the Kohler courses, Ocean, The Golf Club, Crooked Stick, etc....and look forward to many more
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Emmy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:52:23 PM »
Joel et al,

Thanks for the post about Mr. Dye and his upcoming honor.

Are any of our fellow Golf Club Atlas members planning to attend the World Golf Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony? If so, I'll see you there.

Emmy

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Well Done Mr. Dye.

Your original River-Valley course in Kohler help spark my interest in golf course architecture.

Your humor never ceases to cause a chuckle.

Thank You!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »
Congratulations Mr. Dye--

For as long as I can remember, your golf courses have caught my interest.  Your creative and bold designs have had a greater impact on my views on golf course architecture than any other architect I know of.  Your joint effort with Tim Liddy at Wintonbury Hills has had an enormous impact on the public golf scene in the greater Hartford area.  Thanks for your enormous contributions to the game of golf; I wish you and Mrs. Dye many more years of good health and prosperity.

--Tim Gavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »
Mr. Dye,

Thank you for creating so many magical golfing grounds. It is a pleasure to watch tour players tackle your toughest tests and to occasionally test my own mettle on your most cunning creations. As an avid golf course architecture enthusiast, I am particularly grateful to you for inspiring and assisting talented artists such as Bill Coore, Tom Doak, John Harbottle III, and Rod Whitman to follow in your foot steps.

You brought golf course design out of the dark ages and brought about a bold new age, blending the best applications of modern construction techniques with principles garnered through study of the finest classic courses.

Congratulations on your induction into the World Golf Hall of Fame!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »

What took so long?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »

He has to be the greatest par 3 architect ever.

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 11:07:08 AM »
First coined the term "Hit it Alice."

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
The 14th at Kiawah has to be one of the best golf holes I have ever played!

No one has mixed high profile jobs (Kiawah, Kohler) with community development (Purdue) quite like Mr. Dye.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back