News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: WSJ on Old Macdonald
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
Now Bradley, Please stop interjecting facts into the argument. All they'll do is cloud the issue and gunk up that hefty PR machine.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt Varney

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
Does anyone not fully expect that a new course like Old MacDonald with the full financial support of Mike Keiser working with Tom Doak and Jim Urbina this will be a showplace for course design.  I mean really I could understand someone knocking the first project like Bandon Dunes in Coastal Oregon years ago (DMK Who? Coastal Oregon? Destination?)  Bandon Dunes is on the short list of must play golf courses in your life before you die for golfers.

Its called Marketing and Public Relations and some do it much better than the masses.  I don't think this guy at WSJ who wrote the article is going out on a limb he is just making a very big statement first from a reputable source and it just makes the pressure that much more intense to create a killer golf course that can rival NGLA along with the other fine courses at Bandon. 

I hope they pull it off and people stay one more day to play!

Brad Klein

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »
Sorry, Adam, I forget the old adage of the die hard flame thrower -- never let the facts get in the way of a good argument. Or in this case, a loud one.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
I have watched before and after 3 times now at Bandon. This development has yet to disappoint. I have no doubt OMac will be a joy to play and a wonderul addition to this gem in the world of golf.  I do not think one can hype anything at Bandon. It lives up to the comments unlike so many others in the world.

Brad Klein

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »
I will tell you this about Old Macdonald. George Bahto, Carl Olson and myself have been around that site many times on many occasions and walked, talked it to death with Doak and Urbina. It's becoming an amazing place, and I have never seen people more concerned to make a potentially problematic golf course idea work well and be fun to play, interesting for good players, and architecturally compelling. We'll see -- the public will see - whether it works. But so far, it's evolving in an interesting and lovely way.

George_Bahto

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
John Paul spend a fair amount of time with us and I think what he wrote was an understatement about how he feels about the course.

Echoing Brad: Tom, Jim and crew are on full battle gear to make this project as good as it can be.

Aside from the dynamic green surrounds and the greens themselves you will find some of very interesting fairways. I’m hoping they’ll let me post a couple of pictures.

A word: when you’re getting ready to come to Old Macdonald you might want to practice you putter approaches, you’ll need the shot - and most of you can “hang” your wedge game around the greens., you’ll be looking for trouble
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »
Brad:

That's nice to know but my only comment was to wait for the full opening before people start projecting on where the course will possibly be rated or compared with other classic oriented courses.

In regards to the grow-in comment I stand corrected -- I was simply repeating what I had heard from others.

Brad, I never said anyone specifically at Bandon was planning the story -- my using the word "hype" pertained to others not the central folks at the facility. But let's be a bit more forthcoming -- the "invite" you spoke about was a nice way to get the writer's curiosity going on what is happening with the new layout.

The end result (the WSJ story) nicely helps build the fanfare to when the course is eventually opened.

Matt V:

For what it's worth -- I also hope the final product will be a good one -- equal or even greater than what was done with the others. My only concern from the get go - labeled a "die hard flame thrower" -- is to point out it's best to wait until the finished product for a full and accurate assessment.

Nothing more - nothing less.

Of course, a position lending itself to waiting until all holes are opened  is then deemed "a loud one." How funny indeed.

I only offered a wait'n see approach because I've heard plenty of hype on a full range of courses prior to their opening. In plenty of cases -- the hype was more hopeful than what the final product delivered.

Each course is a separate entity into itself. Such a collaboration on this project will be quite interesting to see how the end result works.

Matt Varney

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Matt,

I totally understand where your coming from and I value your opinion.  Your not a flame thrower you are just stating the position lets take a wait and see approach to what the finished product ends up being when they are all done.

After all the success they have had at Bandon, I have no doubt this 4th course will be off the charts killer, fun to play and totally different from anything they have done at Bandon.  I am the type of guy to make a big investment or place a big bet when I feel very strongly about something paying off huge returns in the short term future.  I would write a check right now to have a piece of the action on the thousands and thousands of rounds that will be played on this new course.  The golf writers and purists from Golf Week, Golf Digest, LINKS, Golf magazines will love this new course and it will receive rave reviews.

If you look at the timing - you have 4 courses that are all going to come online at the same time competing for the title of "Best New" something Resort or Private.  Take a look at this list and you tell me how stiff the competition is among these courses:

Ballyhack
Old MacDonald
The Prairie Club
The Dormie Club

Mike Keiser will not get runover by the competition he will have the best people on the ground that money can buy along with a superintendent working with this team that will have perfect conditioning.  Think about the setting in Bandon and what they already have this just adds some more spice and speculation will start after 2010 on what they are going to do for #5.

If you are looking for a good long term investment buy some property around the Bandon area its like buying property 50 years ago around Pebble Beach and Carmel, California.  They have created a place that is connected to the soul of golf that anyone can play just book a tee time and come on out to Oregon.  Regardless of the economic slump golfers will be playing golf everyday at Bandon for decades and decades to come in the future.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
Matt W,

Thanks for the detailed response explaining your earlier post, I think I misunderstood your tone. As I said, I agree that you cannot rate a course on less than 18 holes. Although I am not 100% sold on the movie trailer bit . . .  although I did see the trailer for Quantum of Solace and then proceeded to attend the worst Bond movie ever.

What are some of the courses that you have visited that were highly touted due to big name involvement, great financing and marketing, etc. that turned out to be huge disappointments?

Were most of these real estate/golf course communities or stand alone golf "experiences" like Bandon?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »
There's a massive difference in a 150 second movie trailer and having 56% of a course built and playable. One must wonder why other projects like Trump's & Craneview escape the wrath of over speculated hype criticism, but, a design based on a century old permeire designer who changed the norm as it relates to GCA gets slammed by the constantly saluting. Isn't there?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Botimer

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade but might it be a tad tooooooo early for anyone -- least of all a major publication like WSJ -- to make pronouncements prior to everything being ready to assess.

The Bandon PR machine should be given a major thumbs up in being able to generate the "buzz" long before the latest installment is completed.

I'm not suggesting the hype is not worth it -- but I'd like to hope that reasonable people will hold their comments until the dust is settled for total consumption.

Matt,

Exactly WHAT PR machine are you referring to?  If there was ever a resort that did minimal advertising, Bandon is it.  I just leafed through the GolfWeek publication of top resort and residential courses for 2009, and although the publication remains a fan......Pacific Dunes #1, Bandon Dunes #10, and Bandon Trails #10 of resort courses in the U.S., I couldn't find a single advertisement for the resort.  In the meantime, Whistling Straits had at least 2 full page ads including the inside of back cover.

Maybe that's why their greens fees, although steep are still considerably below either Whistling Straits or Pebble Beach...

tlavin

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:10 AM »
This is an early and very soft p.r. rollout. The unbelievable success of the rest of the resort is the only reason that there is any traction to these stories.  If past is prologue, then Old MacDonald will be another home run for Mike Keiser and the Bandon Team.  I'm sure that very few on this site have any reason to expect anything short of inspired excellence.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »
Terry L:

You are right -- the track record there has been superlative to date. Is waiting for a completed course too much to ask for before definitive comments are made on its overall standing?

David B:

I believe if you read Brad Klein's statement on how the visiting reporter from WSJ was "invited" to see the new course being built you will see one such element in getting word of mouth started.

Please keep in mind a simple "invite" is not akin to a mega marketing effort one sees with a broad range of other courses attempting to build "buzz" as they move along final completion.

No doubt the writer made the final call to describe what he saw and frankly that soft promotion was far less than other more intense pre-opening efforts I have experienced. His presence there was "unplanned" but the folks there did take advantage of it to show what they are doing. That's fine. I did salute the folks at Bandon for making sure that people in the media are aware of what they are doing. I've received post cards previously highlighting what they are doing and it's clearly far less than the other situations I have witnessed.

In regards to fees -- let's keep this in mind. No doubt Bandon is cheaper than Pebble and Whistling Straits but one needs to keep in mind what they are charging now to play at Bandon.

Rob:

Hype can be a very vexing issue to deal with. At times it may be right on the money -- at other times it can really cause a major sense of disappointment because the expectation bar can be risen to such a high level and the final product can be much less so.

Your attendance at the latest Bond movie proves my point. Sometimes the marketing gurus at the film studios will throw all the key elements of their thin bare movie into a 90-second trailer and get potential movie goers to fork over their $$ to see it.

In regard to your question -- I'd have to say Old Head in Ireland was a bit of a let down. Not a huge disappointment mind you -- but I was hoping that a place with such an ideal location -- I mean it's utterly drop dead gorgeous -- would have been able to deliver an 18-hole layout that would be world class.

Mind you -- the course does have stellar holes -- I've opined that one-third of what you play there is world class golf. The other six are somewhat in the middle between the superb and the mediocre.

What are some of the courses that you have visited that were highly touted due to big name involvement, great financing and marketing, etc. that turned out to be huge disappointments?

Old Head is a stand alone place from what I can remember.

I'd still recommend people to play Old Head if they travel to Ireland - no doubt the fees aren't modest but the place is not to be confused with standout links like Lahinch, Ballybunion / Old, Dunluce at Portrush or County Down.

On the States side - the one that comes quickly to mind is The Preserve in the Carmel area of CA. Designed by TF the property is also superb but the actual golf is simply much less so -- TF has done better from the other courses I have played. I'd still suggest people play there if the time and option is present but all the build up I heard prior to going there was a good bit less when finally played. In the case of The Preserve I believe there is limited housing and much, if not all of it, is a good bit removed from the course itself.

I'd also mention what C&C did w Saguaro at We-Ko-Pa. The course is good but it's not really cutting new ground for this talented duo. It's case of been there / done that given the range of other courses from their hands that I have played. It's still worth a play for those coming to the immediate area but I frankly believe you can enjoy even better options that get far less attention (see Vista Verde, Los Caballeros, Outlaw at DM, etc, etc). I believe housing / resort elements are involved with each.

Matt V:

The competition for "best new" is never an easy thing to predict. Years ago Friar's Head was thought of as a can't miss and it was beaten out in the Digest poll, I believe, by Jim Engh's Black Rock in ID. Dallas National was also eligible that same year and finished, again if memory serves, behind both of them.

You are certainly right -- the vision Mike Keiser started at Bandon has certainly elevated that OR location with a desire to reach core golfers. Pebble Beach used to have that distinction -- Bandon has since taken that particular slice of the golf market and run with it big time.

I have no idea on who will be competing for the best new tag -- that's hard to put one's hands around because of when courses open and whether or not the finished products are actually as good as the acclaim leading up to a visit has been.

I think a wait and see approach works well ... no doubt the market differentiation approach Bandon is following will clearly be the driving force for core golfers who want an experience that takes design concepts and the manner by which the game was played from the distant past and brings them to life in a modern way.

Adam:

Please stop with how Old Macdonald and its roots to the past is being "slammed." That is so wrong to the point of being laughable.

My only point was for the entire work to be completed before people start making concrete assessments on where it will stands in relation to the other more established clubs or even those that have been opened at Bandon to date.

Another error on your part -- I've commented on what Trump (and others) has done at a few of his places -- his club in Westchester comes to mind quite quickly. The layout simply cannot handle what the property provided and as a result you get a place where only the supremely talented player can handle and only if high execution is front and center most of the time.

On the flip side -- Trump did well with his 36-hole complex in NJ. It's important to point out that sometimes people apply "tags" to people and presume that such "tags" will always be connected no matter what courses can forward.

I look at each course INDIVIDUALLY. What came before has no meaning to
what is being built / designed now. The same things applies to my reviews of other architects -- I like a number of TF designs, there are others that I feel are simply mailed in versions of earlier works. Ditto w Rees Jones, ditto w Jack Nicklaus, et al.

The persecution defense is really odd and certainly misplaced.

I just personally feel waiting for a complete course is the appropriate thing to do. It provides a final point for review -- not a moving target whether it be 20% completed or 56% completed. If you feel differently so be it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Matt Ward,

I understand where you're coming from.

In the ultimate, the golf course will determine it's merits.

I've always been of the mind that the "guiding force" plays a large role in determining the outcome.

Like picking a physician/surgeon, credentialling should be given significant weight.  And, I think the credentialling at this project is most impressive.

With Brad Klein, George Bahto, Karl Olson, Jim Urbina, Tom Doak and the "Meastro", Mike Keiser focused on producing a unique tribute to "The Evangelist of Golf", and Mike Keiser's record of producing outstanding golf courses at that site, I can't imagine an inferior or less than stellar product.

Unlike reproduction, which is a genetic slot machine, I think you have to give a good deal of credence to the lineage of the talent that's been assembled and the product they'll likely produce.

While it's possible, it's doubtful that the remaining 8 holes will be vastly inferior to the existing 10 holes.

Some say that OM may be the best of the bunch.

Only time will tell, but, I"m betting on the early line.

George Bahto,

Does this mean that Neil Regan has a huge advantage over the rest of us ?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
Is it unusual to have 10 holes ready to play and the remaining eight over a year away?  Or will the other eight be ready much sooner and the opening is being put off to allow the course to mature?  It seems that Mike and Don built Wolf Point in this way, but I think they were constrained somewhat with funds and staff.  Perhaps having a longer schedule allows for more time designing on the site, greater attention to detail, and better continuity/consistency (e.g. fewer shapers doing the work).  I'd think that it would also add cost.

As Terry Lavin notes, there is every reason to have the highest expectations.  Having a principal with deep pockets as well as great knowledge and experience is huge.  The design team is beyond reproach.  Still, I have to wonder whether the emerging economic realities will have a considerable impact on the resort's operating model.     

tlavin

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
Is it unusual to have 10 holes ready to play and the remaining eight over a year away?  Or will the other eight be ready much sooner and the opening is being put off to allow the course to mature?  It seems that Mike and Don built Wolf Point in this way, but I think they were constrained somewhat with funds and staff.  Perhaps having a longer schedule allows for more time designing on the site, greater attention to detail, and better continuity/consistency (e.g. fewer shapers doing the work).  I'd think that it would also add cost.

As Terry Lavin notes, there is every reason to have the highest expectations.  Having a principal with deep pockets as well as great knowledge and experience is huge.  The design team is beyond reproach.  Still, I have to wonder whether the emerging economic realities will have a considerable impact on the resort's operating model.     

I'm quite certain that "emerging economic realities" will continue to have a big impact on Bandon's business model.  Unlike many other mega-resorts, however, Bandon has the considerable advantage of getting in for a paltry sum for the land and the further benefit of being on a sandy site which surely cuts down on construction costs.  As a result, it stands in pretty good shape, I would reckon, to weather the tumult that lay ahead.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:29:53 PM by Terry Lavin »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
The reason Bandon will continue to do well is that it is primarily a mens retreat.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
Lou:

It's very unusual to do the construction in two parts like we do in Bandon -- it's just so dry and windy in the summer there that we can't get holes finished and seeded, so we build what we can one winter and then come back and finish the next.  Getting to play-test a few holes while you are building the others is a rare experience, but a good one.

For certain, being in no hurry to finish is a great advantage ... and it doesn't really add much to costs in this case, since they can "preview" the first ten holes and make a bit of money to defray costs whenever they want.  That wouldn't be the case for a stand-alone course, but it works great for an additional course.

The reason not to open until 2010 is that next year, the holes we've already built will be much more mature than the holes we are just starting now.  It would be difficult to get them to match up in terms of conditioning, green speeds, etc. when the newer holes are so young.  And the newer holes won't handle the traffic as well for another 18 months.

George_Bahto

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »
Patrick: : "George Bahto, Does this mean that Neil Regan has a huge advantage over the rest of us ?"

Oh my YES
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jay Flemma

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
John Paul spend a fair amount of time with us and I think what he wrote was an understatement about how he feels about the course.

A word: when you’re getting ready to come to Old Macdonald you might want to practice you putter approaches, you’ll need the shot - and most of you can “hang” your wedge game around the greens., you’ll be looking for trouble

Sounds like my kind of place.  JPN is a great writer and an even better guy.  We've played together a few times and - as a tall and lanky fellow, think Ran's build, only even taller and slimmer - he can really hit it.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »
Unlike many other mega-resorts, however, Bandon has the considerable advantage of getting in for a paltry sum for the land and the further benefit of being on a sandy site which surely cuts down on construction costs.  As a result, it stands in pretty good shape, I would reckon, to weather the tumult that lay ahead.

Does this mean Bandon could lower greens fees -- maybe by a lot -- and still make money?  Could it survive, even with a lot less traffic?  Has the economic crisis taken a toll yet there, in terms of bookings or rounds played?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back