News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: London Golf Trip = Recommendations Please
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:27 AM »
Michael

Yes, I thought skipping a few holes would help keep you in good graces with your wife.  Next time, we shall see the whole course and nothing but the whole course!  You can always count me in for a game a Addington so long as diaries work. 

Is silver birch that bad?  I like the thick forest look actually as long as it isn't right up against the playing corridors.  That's why I am so in love with Bandon Trails, those forest holes are just fantastic.

This post about Swinley Forest has me wanting to play there everyday honestly: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32651.0.html

Doesn't the heather bloom twice in England?  Spring and Fall?  (sorry, I have only golfed in Scotland and Ireland so I don't know the blooming seasons in England)

It really sounds like Sunningdale should be the cornerstone of the trip.  Both courses are that good.

We will have a car/van, so driving to course won't be that big of a deal.

Would you guys play the new courses at Sunningdale and Walton Heath in lieu of picking up an afternoon round at Birkshire or Woking?

Chip

I reckon its a bit crazy to go in search of another course when you are in the parking lot of a great club.  If you are going to visit Sunningdale and Walton Heath and you don't mind 36, you may as well stay for the day.  I never understood this need to rush around trying to see it all, but Americans are well known for these sorts of itineraries.  You know, 10 capitals in 10 days type thing.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 06:10:33 AM »
Chip you can't miss with what you've got lined up.  Yes make Sunningdale the anchor and then enjoy.  My personal preference would  be for Woking over the Walton Heath courses but WH is a GREAT day out.
Probably a little early for a good bloom of heather but the gorse should be nice and bright.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but I'll be in London for three days while my wife is at the London Book Fair. It would appear St. George's Hill is readily accessible by rail, but what others could one get out to and back in a regular day? I'll have time to play three days at the end of April...

It dpeneds a little where you wil be staying but a a modicum of planning you could play any of the above including Royal St Georges using train and short Taxi ride.  IM if yoou'd like a little help.

Michael looking froward to playing The Addington with you (Robert?). 

Roll on next spring - winter started early this year.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm very fond of the links, so I would guess a trip to Royal St. George's would be at least one of my days. I spent some time last night looking at possibilities by rail and it looks like you could get to St. George's or Rye (I was digging through my British links and Confidential Guide books last night.

My wife will be jammed for three days, leaving me to my own devices. That means as much golf as I can squeeze in. The book fair is in Earl's Court, so I suspect we'll be in that vicinity. It has been a decade since I've been in London and I'm quite excited about the possibility of some heathlands golf, with a day or so of links thrown in.

Tony -- The Addington looks like a must. I'll surely send you a note before putting my plans together. I'm in the research phase now -- likely nail things down in Feb. or March as the trip is April 20-22.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
I've played all of the courses on your list except Swinley Forest. You'll enjoy all of those on your list. However, a  day at Sunningdale is about as good as it gets anywhere and dollar for dollar (or pound for pound) its a better deal than Wentworth.  Walton Heath is also a great 36 hole day and has a different feel from  the other courses on the list as it is much less forrested.  WH has a more open, almost linksey feel, as compared to the others.  New Zealand is just a chip shot from St. George's Hill and is worth playing. I think New Zealand is underappreciated. Playing there is like stepping back 100 years in time. It is short by today's standards but the heather is as plentiful and tough as any of the Surrey and Berkshire heathland courses. I think NZ compares favorably to Woking and Worplesdon.  Hankley Common and Hindhead are two good alternates if you want to drive a little further.

Here is a link to some of my photos of courses on your list.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557716049LvLCaA

PS - My picture here is on the 9th hole at St George's Hill with the clubhouse in the background. I'm not that small. The flag  tall so it can seen from the bottom of the hill appraoching the green.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:29:27 PM by Stewart Abramson »

C. Sturges

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »
The Addington and Rye are great courses and very unlike anything in the states.  Great blind shots! and hazards that you will want to get in to have the opportunity to try and get out.  They also both have great par three's.  I also really enjoyed Royal Ashdown Forest.  Have a great time, I am very jealus :)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »
Chip, Anyone else,

Attached are a selection of 30 photographs I have taken at the various Heathland courses in the Surrey Sandbelt... Might help you choose

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30749571@N05/

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
I would take a day at The Berkshire over Swinley.  I'd also skip Wentworth.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
So from your recommendations, how does this sound. 

Arrive Thursday from the U.S. and then down to Addington for an afternoon round.  Then Harry Colt day on Friday and then two full days over the weekend at Sunningdale and Walton Heath.

Thursday afternoon - Addington

Friday morning - Swinley Forset
Friday afternoon - St. Georges Hill

Saturday morning - Sunningdale Old
Saturday afternoon- Sunningdale New

Sunday morning - Walton Heath
Sunday afternoon - Walton Heath

I have to admit the Yank in me wants to play Woking and Bershire for the afternoon rounds, but I am going to try the slow and easy route that everyone keeps talking about  ;D >:(

Chris Kane

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:30 AM »
Sunningdale only take visitors from Monday-Thursday. 
Personally I wouldn't dare contact Swinley Forest insisting on playing on Friday morning - give them the entire range of days you'll be in London, and take whatever they'll give you.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 02:16:18 AM »
That looks an excellent plan.  Be flexible, though, access is not as easy at weekends as during the week anywhere and as Chris says, if you want to play Swinley you'll need to be flexible as to when they offer you (if you can get on at all). 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »
Chris & Mark-

Thanks for the specifics.  We will just offer up dates, ask very very nicely, and hope for the best.  One of our guys is a member at St. George's Hill so we can be most flexible with that one.

Chip

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »
Do any of the privates, Sunningdale or Walton Heath for example, allow weekend play? When I was planning my trip the only private of note that allowed weekend play, in the afternoons mind you, was Royal Ashdown Forest.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Birkert

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
At Sunningdale, there are no visitors allowed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Furthermore, visitors on those days have to play with an equal number of Members before 1pm (a fourball must comprise of 2 Members and 2 guests). After 1pm a fourball may be made up of 1 Member and 3 guests.

Hope that makes sense.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
I think Walton Heath allows weekend play. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back