News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Who Else Is Going Broke ?
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

In the Sports Illistrated article Tom Naccarato mentioned he is on this site two hours a day. So I have a couple questions about the history of the discussion group.

1- How many lives have been ruined?

2- What date did the discussion group start?

3- How many divorces have resulted?

4- How many bankruptcies?

5- Has there ever been any fist fights at the get togethers?

6- Why isn't there a EUROPE / US event every two years?

TX Golf

Re: Who Else Is Going Broke ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:08 PM »
I have been a member for a few months now and I am thinking my GPA this semester isn't going to be up to par!!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
Anthony

There has been an annual GCA Europe/US Ryder Cup format event for 6 years now.  It's called the Budapest Cup and next year's venue is at Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St. George's.

Rich

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
Most start out excited at joining this site, then get attacked for having some opinion that doesn't jive with someone's, they defend themsleves, the yelling and screaming goes on and on, and it goes downhill from there.

Only the thick skinned tough ones  survive  ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Mosely

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »
It doesn't have to be that way and it shouldn't.

It's simple.  Don't say anything to someone you wouldn't say if you were sitting across from them at dinner.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
I have been a member for a few months now and I am thinking my GPA this semester isn't going to be up to par!!!

Robert...I'm staying at the Hotel Lumen at SMU all week next week.  If you'd like any further help destroying your GPA just let me know.

John Burzynski

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »
I find that it is best to ignore half of the crap here, pick and choose the nuggets and just don't read the rest.    That is the way of all forums.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »

Robert,

Educations are over rated. I know . I gots one. Keep posting my brother !!!

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
Anthony

There has been an annual GCA Europe/US Ryder Cup format event for 6 years now.  It's called the Budapest Cup and next year's venue is at Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St. George's.

Rich

Who qualifies? Will Melvyn be there?

Rich this informatin may result in foreclosure of my house.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »
Most start out excited at joining this site, then get attacked for having some opinion that doesn't jive with someone's, they defend themsleves, the yelling and screaming goes on and on, and it goes downhill from there.

Only the thick skinned tough ones  survive  ;D

If Huck can do it I sure can.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
I just have little better to do.

;D

As for these events, what I am waiting for is something to get the Europeans over here, so us more travel-challenged can experience the great fun that is the Buda Cup. 

We do have at least two long-running US events... but to date, there really has not been an event that alternates between US and UK sites, and attracts participants from each.  Yes some US people do tend to travel to Buda...I want the Euros to come here.

But again, the rule remains if you plan it, they will come... and I ain't gonna plan it.. so I have zero reason to bitch.

So, never mind....

TH

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:11 AM »
I just have little better to do.

;D

As for these events, what I am waiting for is something to get the Europeans over here, so us more travel-challenged can experience the great fun that is the Buda Cup. 

We do have at least two long-running US events... but to date, there really has not been an event that alternates between US and UK sites, and attracts participants from each.  Yes some US people do tend to travel to Buda...I want the Euros to come here.

But again, the rule remains if you plan it, they will come... and I ain't gonna plan it.. so I have zero reason to bitch.

So, never mind....

TH

AwsHuckster

Its a bit more difficult for the Euros to visit the States:

1. There are far fewer Euros to have a go.  How many Yanks (living in YankeeLand) are on the site?  How many attend Buda?  If you proportionalize the numbers that means only a small handful of Euros will make it for a US event.

2. The venues used in the US are not usually the type worth crossing an ocean to play.  The Euros would most likely have to rely on the kindness of Yanks to get on a few of the courses which would make it reasonable to build a golf holiday around.  This is certainly possible because I think GCAersare plenty generous enough, but it would probably mean that the event needs to be held near a place that has several courses worth crossing a pond to see.

3. I think the Yanks like going to the UK because they tend to get to play some gems and some top nothchers without a lot of fuss over access or much travel once in the country.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:57:26 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:13:21 AM »
Anthony

Rich

Who qualifies? Will Melvyn be there?

Rich this informatin may result in foreclosure of my house.

Anthony

Anthony

First come/first served qualifies.  There has always been some space at BUDAs for a combination of reasons.  Even at the ones which were nominally full had spaces open up near the time as people cancelled due to time and other pressures, and others found it difficult to play the 5 rounds in 3-days schedule.  Check out Mark Chaplin's relatively recent post on BUDA VII for details.

Rich

PS--agree with Sean re: getting furriners over to the US en masse.  I would say it might be possible if the venue were on the East Coast and concentrated at one venue (Southhampton sounds nice....).  Getting a non-US team in the US would be facilitated, however, by the fact that there are many GCAers living in the States who are immigrants with dual loyalties (Huntley, Wharton-Palmer, Turner, Kiser come immediately to mind) and others, whilst citizens, have overseas memberships at UK and/or Irish clubs (e.g. Freeman, Sweeney, Vander Borght, etc.) and could play for either side.  In BUDAs we often have people switch sides to make up numbers--in BUDA VI I played for the US in the first 4 matches and the Euros in the Singles.  Let's just say it's less intense than the real Ryder Cup.  One of our inspirations has been the exchange between the policeman (John Cleese) and the girl (Eric Idle) in the following classic Monty Python sketch.

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode07.htm

Hope this helps.

Rich

TX Golf

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »
Kyle,

Sounds great.... they don't like me much at Hotel Lumen because I always park in their parking lot when I have classes on that side of campus!!! Anyways, I'll get it touch with you and lets try and plan something.

Robert

John Moore II

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »

5- Has there ever been any fist fights at the get togethers?

I think I nearly got into a fight with the group in front of me and Kalen last time we played in Utah. For some reason, I doubt they were pleased that I hit into them on 2 straight holes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »
Sean:  I never said it would be easy.  That doesn't make me want it to happen any less.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back