News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Masters parking and new practice area
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:18 AM »

I found this story, http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/103008/gol_481414.shtml

and it states that "The so-called "big lot" used in the past for parking on Augusta National grounds, at Washington and Berckmans roads, is already being converted to a practice area scheduled to open for the 2010 Masters"

For those who have attended the Masters, what will this mean?

BCrosby

Re: Masters parking and new practice area
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
It's a very big change. I've parked for years in one of the lots on Washington Rd and entered through the main gate. We will now all enter from "side" entrances on Berckman's Road. ANGC bought up dozens on homes there. Sounds like they have converted those lots to a new parking area and the old parking areas will be used to expand the practice facility. 

I don't see how this helps with the congestion getting in and out of the the Masters. In fact, it might make things worse.

On the other hand, it will effectively transfer substantial parking revenues from property owners on Washington Road to ANGC. It will mean big, additional bucks into the ANGC coffers. 

Bob

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
... It will mean big, additional bucks into the ANGC coffers. 

Bob

Bob,

I didn't think ANGC charged additional for parking (at least not for practice rounds).  Every time I've been for a practice round, they let you into the lot free when you showed your ticket.

Andy

CJ Carder

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »
I didn't think ANGC charged additional for parking (at least not for practice rounds).  Every time I've been for a practice round, they let you into the lot free when you showed your ticket.

Andy

Yeah, when we went last year, we parked for free.  Granted, with their new parking areas, we parked about 3/4 mile away from the main gate, but it was free.  The time before that I went (2003), we were able to get there early enough to park inside the gates but that did not appear to be an option at all this past year.  What used to be a gravel parking lot was, as you might expect, manicured to perfection and paved, apparently for volunteer parking or for club / media parking.

From what I saw this year, I can't imagine it'll be a huge effect on existing parking.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Doe anyone have an ariel of the entire property.  I am wondering for the sake of wondering if there was enough land (parking lots, etc.) to create a second course if you took the land that the Par 3 course takes up. 

I am not sure how you incorporate the the tree lined driveway, but it would be a cool little project to come up with a second course on that land.

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »

Doe anyone have an ariel of the entire property. 

There is a company in Mountain View, California that produces aerials of golf courses, you can zoom in and out, really a neat tool ...

Golf Course Aerials

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
Ha ha...you snarky SOB!!!  It is sweet though..   ;D

Chuck Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »
It certainly wasn't to help the parking situation; it was purely to provide a larger, more modern practice area, period.

I wonder what will happen to the old practice tee?  Would they ever take down the nets along Washington Road?

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
I know Google is cool, but sometimes I like maps.live.com better.  Go find Augusta on that site and then use the "Birds Eye" tool - sweet!  :o

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=pkhf8784yhrr&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13799809&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back