News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Sherer

WORST ISSUE OF LINKS MAG!
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »
A LINKS magazine "Special Issue"!? I realize that this magazine has routinely pandered to golf-related real estate sales and advertisements, but in the past there was at least decent articles actually pertaining to golf course design. After seeing this recent 116 page brochure for real estate sales, I fully plan on canceling my subscription. After waiting what seemed like months for this next issue, they send out this rag (which was promptly sorted in the appropriate waste basket).

Has LINKS "jumped the shark"?

adios
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Ronald Montesano

Re: WORST ISSUE OF LINKS MAG!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
Yes, Fonzie, they might just have jumped the shark.  It happens to all second-tier mags eventually.  Look at what happened to Washington Golf Monthly...used to be a great pub and now is split among five or six markets.  Despite the noose, GolfWeek remains the best of the lot.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:46 PM »
Adam,
As a contributor to Links, I have to defend the gang by noting that this stand alone real estate issue has been done before. I'm not sure how many years running, but this is at least the third.  I'd hate to see you give up on it simply because they send you something in addition to the regular issue (your Nov./Dec issue is on the way I bet....this was not in lieu of that!).

Frankly, I think it's a wonderful collector's item that 50 years from now will have people giggling at little folks paid for a golf course lot!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »
A LINKS magazine "Special Issue"!? I realize that this magazine has routinely pandered to golf-related real estate sales and advertisements, but in the past there was at least decent articles actually pertaining to golf course design. After seeing this recent 116 page brochure for real estate sales, I fully plan on canceling my subscription. After waiting what seemed like months for this next issue, they send out this rag (which was promptly sorted in the appropriate waste basket).

Has LINKS "jumped the shark"?

adios

Adam,

I received my copy today, took a look and thought I was on a Realtors solicitatation list. I was most disappointed because in the past I held the magazine in high regard because of its production and concept.

This was a throwaway product.

Bob

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:41:49 PM »
Adam,
As a contributor to Links, I have to defend the gang by noting that this stand alone real estate issue has been done before. I'm not sure how many years running, but this is at least the third.  I'd hate to see you give up on it simply because they send you something in addition to the regular issue (your Nov./Dec issue is on the way I bet....this was not in lieu of that!).

Frankly, I think it's a wonderful collector's item that 50 years from now will have people giggling at little folks paid for a golf course lot!

As a first time subscriber this year, this is good to know that this doesn't count as one of my regular issues.  They should type that in giant bold letters on the cover instead of disguising the cover as a regular issue...  It's pretty amusing that the cover price is $7.50. 

Is some non-subscriber actually paying for this garbage?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »

Hate it!!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »
Broke the record for inbox to circular file.

It's usually okay but this one was just a big ad.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:43:13 AM »

Yes, this annual issue of real estate ads does suck.  It seems to me that Golfweek used to do the same thing every year also.

john_stiles

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
They have done this for maybe 3 years now.

Sort of interesting to see who is in the issue and who is not.

Always amazed at the number of high end developments, even after seeing discussions of many on GCA.   Absolutely a staggering amount of high end courses.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »

Is some non-subscriber actually paying for this garbage?

People do not buy trade publications over the shelf.  But lets not throw stones here.  In a search for FAS-FIX numbers in an attempt to gauge the health, or heart beat, of the golf magazine business I found this little ditty:

"Golfweek's" Definitive Guide To The Golf Life Is Definitively Big.   December 17, 2007
November special's 212 pages/156 ad pages are the most in its 32-year history.

More amazing to me, and far less interesting, is that just yesterday on the putting green my eminent opponents quoted a recent Golfweek article proving that their new Taylor Made putters were the best ever made.  After watching them both three putt the 6th I informed them I would be writing a letter of thanks to the editor.  If you are out there Mr. Editor, please consider this from me... "Thanks".

Could anyone with skills beyond mine please post the FAS-FIX numbers for the golf magazine industry.  One source I did find put the circulation of Golfweek at 160,000 without saying how many of those are paid subscriptions or compdedoodles.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »

Maybe it was the picture of The Donald and his swing that turned everyone off so...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
LINKS needs to make money on "special issues" like this.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to put out the regular magazine that many people enjoy.  The publishing business is brutal.

This is the same old argument about commercials on network TV.  You might not like the intrusion of the commercials when you're watching "Everybody Loves Raymond," however you like the fact that's it's free (and you don't have to pay your portion of Mr. Romano's exhorbitant salary) because of the commercials.

A subscription to LINKS  is just a few bucks a year because of ad revenue.  You should be rooting for them, not against them.

Lighten up and be happy LINKS publishes some articles you like in their regular issues!

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Didn't like the issue myself, but canceling your subscription seems over the top. Like canceling SI for the swimsuit, or deleting your GCA login account due to a heated debate on here.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
LINKS needs to make money on "special issues" like this.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to put out the regular magazine that many people enjoy.  The publishing business is brutal.

That says it all.

-30-
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
Adam:

I'm also a regular contributor and I'm a bit surprised at your outrage. This necessary moneymaker has been an annual issue, as others have pointed out. In some circles very important to the life of Links, this is a much-anticipated issue.

To put your comment in perspective, what was THE BEST ISSUE OF LINKS MAG! in your opinion?

Anthony

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
It was an advertising supplement - what is shocking is that they think we are a targeted demographic for all that high end real estate.

I enjoy Links but I have always found it to be a teaser - good articles and photography but far too short. 

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

I just renewed my subscription: 3 years for $15. You can't beat the price!

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
Adam:

I'm also a regular contributor and I'm a bit surprised at your outrage. This necessary moneymaker has been an annual issue, as others have pointed out. In some circles very important to the life of Links, this is a much-anticipated issue.

To put your comment in perspective, what was THE BEST ISSUE OF LINKS MAG! in your opinion?

Anthony

I think they did an Australia issue not too long ago - that was my favorite (although that may have been T&L Golf...). I know they've done at least a few issues dealing primarily with architecture in a fashion that goes well beyond what the other mags have done.

I actually think Links and T&L Golf have both improved immeasurably over the last few years. I enjoy them more than the big 2.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
Excellent magazine...they got bills to pay, respect them for that, and if u don't like the issue, throw it away...if any of us owned it, we would do the same
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Adam Sherer

Re: WORST ISSUE OF LINKS MAG! New
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

As a contributor to Links, I have to defend the gang by noting that this stand alone real estate issue has been done before.

Geoff,

I'm glad you chimed in because one of the things that I always like to read in LINKS is your "whats going on" section.  I have subscribed to LINKS for about 5 years and apparently never noticed these annual real estate issues.

Adam:

Anthony

Anthony,

Good point. I should have qualified what was good to justify what is bad.

The September 2003 cover is a classic (West Coast Heavyweights issue).
The Irish "Pitch and Putt" article from the Jan 2004 issue, is a great 'off-the-beaten-track' highlight.
Jan 2006 issue has a great juxtaposition of the new architects vs the old ("On Site Training" vs "Common Vision, Uncommon Ground" respectively).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cancel my subscription, but the recent issue rubbed me the wrong way. And Clyde, I agree that the $15.00 annual subscription cannot be beat (but I sure as heck would not pay the $7.50 cover otherwise).

P.S. who cancels SI because of the swimsuit issue?  I would have to guess that the swimsuit issue is the #1 issue in SI annual sales. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:37:49 PM by Adam Sherer »
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back