News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Nugent

Re: A hole runs along the length of an active driving range...
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »
okay, if lights are to be employed, consider you only see the lit part of the ball.

1) down lighting on the tee as you are looking at the top of the ball,

2) some of the lights on the down light poles need to point out at various angles to about 75-100 yds as the ball climbs up through lighted are you are looking at the side of the ball.

3) 3 rows of uplighting starting at the front of the tee (hence the tee needs to be about 5' above the floor of the uplight pit).  These will light the underside of the ball once it gets about 20' hit andclimbs out of the downlight illumination.

4) and this is very important, any target greens or drainage hollows will create black spots that can't be illuminated.  It's just as important to see the ball land as it is to see it's flight.  This is why it's good if the range is slightly uphill, you can bench the target greens in and they won't block the ground behind.  You can cut your down-range light-pits in behind the target greens and not even know they are there.

5) there are usually local ordinancs limiting light spillage or the # of foot-candles allowed at the perimeter of a lit piece of property.  Also, some may object to light if they have a house that can see them.
Coasting is a downhill process

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 02:23:58 PM »
Tim,

Thanks again...that is extremely helpful information.   

Kyle Harris

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
Kyle,

I hadn't the foggiest! 

But since you mentioned it, how does the netting work to prevent golf balls from soaring into your house and bar?   ;D

I've been there and don't recall feeling horribly constricted hitting balls, do you?

Mike,

My house is about a quarter mile up Street Road, but I've hit more balls at that range than anywhere else in the world. The heaters definitely make a difference.

High fades/slices of the Driver definitely carry the net and we used to play H-O-R-S-E with shotmaking into the various poles with higher flying shots carrying. It's definitely not constricted in anyway but I'd say a good 5% of the balls leave the netted area per week.

I've carried the back net maybe half dozen times in my life, all from the top deck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back