News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Birkert

Re: Congratulations to the USA!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
Kalen,

The one thing the European fans do have is a wide variety of songs, many of which originate from either football (soccer) or cricket.

However, in fairness they tend to be reserved for when the player arrives on the first tee, or when a hole is finished.

It's one thing I've never understood about all American sport - the lack of wit / originality in the songs from the fans.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
Kalen,

The one thing the European fans do have is a wide variety of songs, many of which originate from either football (soccer) or cricket.

However, in fairness they tend to be reserved for when the player arrives on the first tee, or when a hole is finished.

It's one thing I've never understood about all American sport - the lack of wit / originality in the songs from the fans.

Tom,

Fair enough, maybe they do have more songs....But if thats the case, why do they only break out "ole, ole, ole"?

The way I see it.  The Euros and USA is 1-1 when it comes to chants/songs, etc.

If you ask me, its a bit of sour of grapes to bitch about all the USA chants.  For gods sake until this year 4 out of the last 5 wasn't good enough for ya'all?    Would it kill you guys to let us have one every now and then?  ;D  ;)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
Tom,

Fair enough, maybe they do have more songs....But if thats the case, why do they only break out "ole, ole, ole"?

The way I see it.  The Euros and USA is 1-1 when it comes to chants/songs, etc.

If you ask me, its a bit of sour of grapes to bitch about all the USA chants.  For gods sake until this year 4 out of the last 5 wasn't good enough for ya'all?    Would it kill you guys to let us have one every now and then?  ;D  ;)

I don't mind the USA chants at all, I just wish there were some more imaginitive ones... I don't know what feed you got over there, but with the Sky coverage we were treated to hearing the players arrive on the first tee, several of whom have their own chants, such as "Walking in a Poulter wonderland" and "There's only one G-Mac".

I've attended baseball and American football games and the lack of imaginitive chanting is a real negative in my opinion (especially with some of the things professional athletes get up to your side of the pond!).

And the win was richly deserved and I think 2010 will be better because of it. Shame about the course it's going to be played on.

Tom Yost

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 12:47:35 PM »
Well done boys, a well deserved victory.

Alas...  the victory comes with an asterisk.

(* No Tiger)
 ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
I've attended baseball and American football games and the lack of imaginitive chanting is a real negative in my opinion (especially with some of the things professional athletes get up to your side of the pond!).

Then you have not been to collegiate baseball and, especially, football games. The chants and cheering during a college games is on a whole new world compared to pro games.

It is also a part of the reason why I love college games so much.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
Tom,

Fair enough, that could very well be.  We get the NBC feed over here so it was likely not even included. 

But in the end, I ask myself, why do I attend a professional sports game?  To listen to witty little chants, or take in the athelticism and games at hand and cheer on the team?  As a general rule if I want to hear some singing, I'll go to an opera or a rock concert!!  ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
It was just nice to see a competitive, well-contested event for a change. Other than making Sergio happy :), I don't think blowouts help anyone. Unlike the last few, I'm actually already looking forward to the next one.

Poulter and Rose..two really bright spots for the Euros..those two should split a few Majors in the not to distant future.

Poulter, maybe, but I'd like to see Rose hold one lead in any US event before I predict any for him - and I'm a big Rose fan, I root for him to come through every time he's near the lead. I fear a Monty-like career for him (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
It was just nice to see a competitive, well-contested event for a change. Other than making Sergio happy :), I don't think blowouts help anyone. Unlike the last few, I'm actually already looking forward to the next one.

Poulter and Rose..two really bright spots for the Euros..those two should split a few Majors in the not to distant future.

Poulter, maybe, but I'd like to see Rose hold one lead in any US event before I predict any for him - and I'm a big Rose fan, I root for him to come through every time he's near the lead. I fear a Monty-like career for him (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

I had the opportunity to meet Justin last year at a tourney..he is a very nice,  considerate young man, and we had a pleasant chat-up for a good half a hours time..I hope he ends up with a major ...or a few...

Chris Pike

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »

I had the opportunity to meet Justin last year at a tourney..he is a very nice,  considerate young man, and we had a pleasant chat-up for a good half a hours time..I hope he ends up with a major ...or a few...

Agreed!  Justin Rose has a great head on his shoulders.  Met him at a Pro-Am and found him to be very personable and an easy guy to get along with. 
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
If you were the 2010 American Captain, would you even bother having Tiger back?

The U.S. is 1-4 with Tiger in the lineup.  I think that stat is very telling.  I would keep him for Sunday singles, but probably not play him in team events; certainly not foursomes.

I will agree that the U.S. needs to figure out some new chants.  The US Men's National Soccer team has some good chants at their games, but they're not all that much better than U-S-A.

mikes1160

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
You should go easy on our chants......after all, we didn't really appreciate rock 'n roll until you Brits "invaded" us.......and Jimi Hendrix had to start his career in England before he got respect in the States.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »

The U.S. is 1-4 with Tiger in the lineup.  I think that stat is very telling.  I would keep him for Sunday singles, but probably not play him in team events; certainly not foursomes.

I will agree that the U.S. needs to figure out some new chants.  The US Men's National Soccer team has some good chants at their games, but they're not all that much better than U-S-A.

Phil Mickelson was 2-5 going into these matches, we should have kept him out too right?

Chad Campbell 0-2, can't use him either.

Stewart Cink 0-3, damn no good.

Furyk also 1-4, he must sit too...crap!!

Even Kenny Perry was batting .000 at 0-1.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
There is no European chant that can come close to the biting wit and sheer originality of:

"Tastes Great! . . . Less Filling!"

Perfect in its simplicity.

Sean Leary

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »
What a flat out stud Poulter was during these matches. Woulda liked to see him vs Kim in the singles.

Tim Bert

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:22 PM »
What a flat out stud Poulter was during these matches. Woulda liked to see him vs Kim in the singles.

Or better yet, Poulter vs. Weekley.  Matching scorecards on Sunday, I've got Boo up 2 on Poulter.  Would have been fun to see the intensity face off against the "horseback rider."

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »

Phil Mickelson was 2-5 going into these matches, we should have kept him out too right?

Chad Campbell 0-2, can't use him either.

Stewart Cink 0-3, damn no good.

Furyk also 1-4, he must sit too...crap!!

Even Kenny Perry was batting .000 at 0-1.

And look at their records now w/o him  ;D  Team camaraderie goes a long way and you won't see that in any stat.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 10:34:56 PM »
Man forget golf.

With all your spin, you guys should be on Keith Obermans show..  ::)  ::)

TX Golf

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
It isn't as if those guys played great now that Tiger is gone. Phil still sucks at 1-2-2. Cink wasn't any better at 1-2, and Furyk, Perry and Campwell all played well but not great at 2-1-1. I highly doubt Furyk picked up an extra point this year over the other years because Tiger was sitting at home. Furyk and Perry aren't thinking about the camaraderie in the locker room when they happened to make a couple putts down the stretch this year. As discussed before, the difference this year was the rookies on the team, not the veterans playing better because Tiger was gone. The veterans still played average golf. It wasn't like their golf games took of in the absence of Tiger. The guy is a great golfer and the shortcomings of others (folding in his presence) shouldn't be blamed on him.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »
Robert,

I'm amazed at the level of over-confidence as well.  If westwood, garcia, and padraig would have all just played mediocre golf, they would be going home with the trophy.  But not one win between the 3 of them was beyond pathetic.

I suppose these guys on this thread wouldn't want them on the next euro team either..  ::)  ::)

TX Golf

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 12:01:54 AM »
Kalen,

I know what you mean. Not only is the score much more misleading than the matches actually were as Harrington and Westwood fell apart after Europe had officially lost, all of Europe's best players played horribly. For those three to not win a point is just unbelievable and we should count our blessings. I was never as down on the US as many others also have happened to be for the same reasoning. For a few years in a row the US players just didn't play well. Simple as that. This event is about quality golf, not team chemistry. Like I mentioned earlier, I am not buying the fact that the professional athletes made the clutch putts this year because the had some laughs and a fun game of ping-pong the night before. If that is the case, then shame on them. They should be able to perform no matter what the situation, especially now that they are being paid to play. Boo telling jokes didn't help the team. What helped the team was Boo winning points. Like you mentioned, lets not get too confident going into 2010 back on European soil. We are supposed to win back here in the US.

Robert

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:16 AM »
Man forget golf.

With all your spin, you guys should be on Keith Obermans show..  ::)  ::)

...or O'Reily's show, or Limbaugh's show, or Hannity's show.  You know... not everything has to get political on here.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back