News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

Re:Favorite Tee Markers
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 07:21:27 AM »
    I agree with Wayne on one thing - Rolling Green's are hideous.  I disagree on the rest of his observations.  Sticks are fine. These are tees markers, not pieces of furniture.  All these artifacts are silly - worthwhile only for attracting comments from the daily fee clientele.  "Keep it simple, stupid."

Ray Richard

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »
The Captains Golf Courses in Brewster,Ma is a 36 hole municipal facility that uses sea captain lore as its theme. The courses are named the Port and Starboard and each hole is named after a famous Cape Cod sea captain.
 The tee markers are marine cleats, or tie downs,that are used to attached lines from a boat to a dock. They measure 10 inches long, and they have added 8 inch spikes to keep them upright, and are painted red,yellow,blue,etc.Credit long time superintendent Steve Mann for this idea.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »

luffenham Heath
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
The tee markers are understated but the 'bin' wins the prize.  How many people do you know who would never drop rubbish on a hike that will throw broken tees around like... well like confetti?  Give them a small and unobtrusive receptacle and they seem to use it. Class.

Royal Dornoch

Let's make GCA grate again!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 05:44:48 AM »

I like the US capitol buildings for Congressional, the "milk bottles" they have at Oakmont, and also whenever they use pineapples for an event in Hawaii.

Ones I do not like are as Joe mentioned - basically any tee marker upon which you do not know what tees you are playing unless you look very closely. Courses that I have lived on have an annoying habit of this....usually uniform granite blocks or stones with the club logo engraved inside, which inevitably fills in with dirt, making it hard to see what color the paint is. "Should we play the grey tees today, or the grey tees?".
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »
I will spin this to tell you about the worst tee markers. Bill Love designed a wonderful course for the Fairfax County (VA) Parks Depatment called Laurel Hills. The course is adjacent to the old Lorton Prison (Closed). The tee markers are small replicas of Prison Guard Towers.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 08:56:36 AM »
the small disc wins every time for me...

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
An original idea for the „alpine“ course near Zermatt, Switzerland - which incidently is flat - what else but small models of the Matterhorn (iconic mountain) in different colours - this is red for the ladies.

JESII

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »
In the Crown Royal Open at Royal New Kent, Seagrams provided actual bottles of Crown Royal on the last 5 or 6 holes (the ones on TV)...I thought that was unique...turns out only a few made it through the day...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 02:55:50 PM by JES II »

Andy Ryall

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 10:13:23 AM »
I have always liked the Congressional capitol replicas but also like the discs used at Saint Andrews and other clubs such as Windsong Farm.  

Kudos to Sutton Bay for its use of cattle skulls to denote where the tips are located.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
I like the ducks?/mallards?/birds? at Caledonia.

-Ted
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:46:17 AM by Ted Kramer »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 05:06:58 PM »
Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta has an interesting take on markers.  They are the the round which is not so unusual but they come in four intersting colors--green, green, green and green :D

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta has an interesting take on markers.  They are the the round which is not so unusual but they come in four intersting colors--green, green, green and green :D

I liked this idea for a private club.  We are now doing the same thing at Champions, except they are not painted at all.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »
Slightly off topic, but how 'bout a common flaw of some course tee markers these days:  you must get so close to them to know which tee box you are playing from!  I find it somewhat frustrating to be playing a new course, leave a hole and begin walking to the next, then having to guess where say the blue tees are b/c next to the black and green tees they aren't easily distinguished from more than 10 yards or so.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

Not so much that you can't tell the colors apart, but often they are elevated enough that you can't tell which is which without having a look.  I'm almost always playing the back tees so that's less of a problem (but sometimes what you think is the back isn't and you have to look around to find it)  But for my dad who would typically be playing the middle set on a course with five sets its a real pain for him.  And don't get him started on the courses that have white "regular men's" tees and grey "senior's" tees....did some guy who sees in monochrome think that one up??

I can't remember where it was now, but I once played a course in Missouri that had hot pink tee markers for the tips.  Maybe it was my imagination, but those teeboxes seemed a lot more pristine than they typically are, so perhaps their psychological ploy to keep overly macho bogey golfers off the back tees worked ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Brian Laurent

Re: Favorite Tee Markers
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
The cash registers at NCR are a nice touch.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Sean Leary

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 10:06:09 PM »
Horseshoes at Stock Farm in Montana.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
Diamond Hawk near Buffalo has heavy and large metal bird feathers in non-traditional colors.  One of my teams grabbed one and wrote their names on it, then presented it to me as a season-ending gift.  I sheepishly accepted it, determined that there was no way to restore it, and put it on my desk at home.  What is it that we do with kids?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »
Horseshoes at Stock Farm in Montana.

Ditto Bulle Rock in Maryland

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned the pieces of farming implenments at Tobacco Road- mining tools at The Pete Dye Club- yes, I think it is cool when the markers identify the personality and history of the land.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »
It's funny that I can't even picture the tee markers at most courses I've played, even ones that I've played a hundred times.

The most memorable ones I've seen are at The Crosby in the San Diego area.  They are all musical notes, in honor of the club's namesake.

Gerry B

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
i still think the bells  at accc are the best  - the mini baskets at merion are nice and the wood leaves at the National in toronto are great as well they put colored trim on the dges to identify the various tees - white / blue / black / gold plus the green tees (composite length ) which are used for the wed men's night matches

Rob Rigg

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 01:28:57 AM »
The Antler Tee markers at Pronghorn in Bend a pimp!

:o

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 05:14:54 AM »
  I like the horseshoes used at Chevy Chase Club.

Pat Burke

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
In what was the old Kemper Open, they used to have the Kemper Calvary guys as tee markers (minus the horses legs)
I found through a little experimentation (and a couple of straight right tee shots) that when you pooped your driver down on the back of the cowboy hat, the head and the hat flew a good 20 yards forward
Every year, TPC Avenal was filled with Kemper headless horseman by the weekend

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back