News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

We need a London based GCAer who is interested in historical research to help us with our Mackenzie project, on both the Timeline and Courses fronts. As none of us are in London (Nick Leefe is the closest in Leeds) there are a few items we would like following up on and having a London based person would make a number of things easier.

Firstly, we need someone to go into the NMR Swindon offices (part of English Heritage) to view a collection of some 16 oblique aerials of Hendon Aerodrome and the London Country Club that date from 1919-1926 and determine which, if any show the Mackenzie course originally built for the London Flying Club. As a follow up, research in the local newspaper microfiche would be needed to see what mentions there may be of the golf course and the LFC in general to help us build the story.

I suppose the primary part of the research would be to go to the British Library to glean whatever Mackenzie mentions there may be in the early golfing periodicals such as 'Golf Illustrated', 'Golfing' etc from the start of Mackenzie's career around 1907 until his death in 1934. This is I believe the big hole in our research to date and is likely to be fairly time consuming.

If there are any volunteers passionate (=silly) enough to take on this poorly paid (=nothing) task, please either email me on neil@golfstrategies.com.au or send me an IM. Thanks in advance!

cheers Neil

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: London based GCAer needed for some historical Mackenzie research
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »
British Library may prove tricky. I used to have a card when I worked for the BBC, but it's lapsed and I don't think they'd let me have one now. The main problem is calling material up. You have to order what you want to see in advance and there is a limit to the number of items you may look at on any one visit, so if you order up 8 Golf Illustrated or Country Life, you have to wait until the next day to view more. They may be more helpful nowadays about photocopying etc, but it was tiresome in may day - but that was in the 80s and 90s. (1990s, not 1890s, you understand).

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
Thanks Mark
Appreciate your comments on the foibles of the British Library and hopefully this has changed since 'the old days'. If it hasn't, all the more reason to ask for a London based person to help us, as they could arrange for some items to be brought up in advance, then spend a couple of hours going through them, and then possibly do it again on a week or two when the person had a bit of time. It would be frustrating if you were an out-of-towner trying to do this over a few days.
Appreciate the tip.
Neil

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
Neil I would loe ot help and be in some way part ofwhat you are doing but alas time does not allow.

Good luck

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:11:54 PM »
British Library may prove tricky. I used to have a card when I worked for the BBC, but it's lapsed and I don't think they'd let me have one now. The main problem is calling material up. You have to order what you want to see in advance and there is a limit to the number of items you may look at on any one visit, so if you order up 8 Golf Illustrated or Country Life, you have to wait until the next day to view more. They may be more helpful nowadays about photocopying etc, but it was tiresome in may day - but that was in the 80s and 90s. (1990s, not 1890s, you understand).

Mark

It's much easier now...you can just hand in multiple request slips as the day progresses...they bring the books to your table after about 10 mins or so.  It's a pretty impressive service, but no self copying!

The digi copy service is way too dear, the ordinary photocopying is much cheaper but may be off limits for some of the older bound journals.

All the best stuff is at Colindale.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:46 AM »
Tony
Thanks for the thought though!

Paul
Do you know which site of the BL the old golf magazines are located at? You refer to Colindale - is this where the periodicals are? I know they have Golf Illustrated, but what about Golfing? And any others?

Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back