News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Taylor

Windsong Farm
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
Since Tom Lehman just joined GCA, it reminded me of my visit earlier this month to Windsong Farm while on a trip to Minneapolis with another GCAer.  It is a Fought-Lehman design outside of Minneapolis that was one of the biggest surprises for me in a long time.  I had never heard of it before and after playing it, believe it should be much better known.  Here is a link to the club: www.wsfarm.com which has a great feel.  It has wide fariways with a lot of movement and strategic options, combined with large greens with a lot of contours and chipping areas around them.  Every hole made us think and there was a lot of variety to the holes on a beautiful piece of farmland.  One of the most enjoyable modern courses I have played in a while with a grat low key atmosphere.  Has anyone else played this course or have any thoughts on it?

Jason Topp

Re: Windsong Farm
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
Dan:

Windsong is a terrific club with loads of outstanding players and a number of terrific holes.  Nonetheless, I have never been able to unqualifiedly endorse the course. 

Based on five rounds there, I think the front nine par fours are a real weakness.  Other than the wonderful 3rd, the holes consist of a series of repetitive long slugs on fairways that are wide but because I am so preoccupied with just trying to get to the green, there is little reason to veer from the direct line to the green in order to get a better angle.  When playing there, I just slug it as far as I can off the tee and then slug something between a 5 iron and a three wood to get to the green.

The front nine is very challenging but the holes run together for me.

The back nine is about as good as it gets in my view.

On both nines, the greens are outstanding, and I am a fan of both the par threes and par fives.  Nonetheless, the repetitiveness of the front side keeps Windsong from being in the top pantheon of courses for me.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:51:45 PM by Jason Topp »

Adam_Messix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
Windsong is a fabulous place.  The tee shot on the first hole is a real attention grabber with the amount of movement and the general firmness (maybe I should say, hardness) of the conditions.  They were not afraid to try some different stuff, like the fallaway green at the 2nd, and the multiple options that are offered the player on the 3rd.  The green sites on 13 and 14 are awesome.  The course has an open, linksy feel to and is maintained to play firm and fast throughout.  I'll be curious to hear what others think, but the course the club are both excellent.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:39 PM »
Dan,

Its strong and I loved it. I believe its stated goal is to be the next Hazeltine and someday hole a US Open.  While I also like HN a LOT better than its reputation around here, I liked WF a lot better than that.

I always thought John Fought (and Tom when they work together) does some imaginative bunkering, like the 6th (I think) where the fw bunkers just keep pinching the fw from the right.

If I have to add the obligatory negative comment, I would say that the approach to 18, after the fabulous tee shot, is a bit dissapointing.

Its one of my favorite courses in MN, although there are a few further north I like a bit better! ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Jason--

I'm surprised as to your comments regarding the front nine.  No doubt the course is long, but the a correctly positioned drive down the left side of one and six are handsomely rewarded and drive down the right side of two is required to approach the fallaway green.  Totally agree about three, it's an awesome hole. 

What is your view of the finisher?

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Jason--

I'm surprised as to your comments regarding the front nine.  No doubt the course is long, but the a correctly positioned drive down the left side of one and six are handsomely rewarded and drive down the right side of two is required to approach the fallaway green.  Totally agree about three, it's an awesome hole. 

What is your view of the finisher?

Adam:

I understand that there is some marginal benefit to one side of the fairway or the other but I can't worry about that in any sort of wind.  I just try and slug it near the green somewhere.  The same challenge is repeated on 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8.  All are straight, play in the 440 yard range (I don't have a scorecard) and, with the exception of 2 all play back and forth.  There is not enough difference between those holes in my view.  I would like more variety in length, more variety in direction and something to spark more interest off the tee.

I like the finishing hole, even though it is a bit out of place compared to the rest of the course, appears very artificial and is a bit awkward.   Nonetheless, it is such a terrific continuous heroic challenge and is such a memorable finish that I like it. 

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
Dan, I don't think I've seen you post here for a while.  How goes it!

I really like Windsong, which I have only played once.  Rather than pick out the things I didn't care for like Jason, I backed into it the other way.  Describe the traits of a course you would like and Windsong has it - at least for me.

Playable, interesting, fair, and varied.  Works for me.

(Jason's a member of a terrific club.  One that bears no resemblance to the modern Windsong.)

JWinick

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:20:01 AM »
I played it last year - great course in a beautiful, natural setting.  Looked like the club was struggling, but you couldn't see it on the golf course.   I believe it's ranked fifth in the state, so it has received some critical acclaim.  It's 30 miles or so west of Minneapolis, so a bit of a haul for some people.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
This isn't exactly a surprise as I've posted this way previously about WF, but I really, really like the place.

Part of it is because it's a club that's about golf and not about being rich (unlike a certain club a few miles east on Hwy. 6). But part of it is because it's a really good golf course.

I see Jason's point about the front being super tough and 5, 6 and 8 certainly fit in that. That said, I think 3 is very interesting and I like both of the par 3s on the front. No. 9, the only par 5 on the front, is really hard, but I like that it's generally downwind.

The back nine is really good and is certainly sportier. 10 is a good par 3, 11 is a hole where you can make birdie if you put your tee shot in the right place. 12 and 13 are holes where you can also think about making birdie. But it's not easy either as 14 and 15 are man-sized, 16 is a solid par 3. I like 17 in that on a course where wind plays such a major role, you get to the second-to-last and you play a hole that runs in a different direction than anything you've played all day.

I don't love 18. It's the only tee shot where it's difficult to know where to hit it and the 2nd shot always seems a little awkward.

In terms of WF v. Hazeltine, I like WF much more. It's more interesting, varied and fun. I don't hate Hazeltine, but it is a serious brute. Very, very difficult. I do like that it's also another place that is really about the golf and not the rest of it.

We're very fortunate in the Twin Cities to have a number of really good and varied courses. WF is certainly the best of the modern courses in town, IMHO.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
This isn't exactly a surprise as I've posted this way previously about WF, but I really, really like the place.

Part of it is because it's a club that's about golf and not about being rich (unlike a certain club a few miles east on Hwy. 6). But part of it is because it's a really good golf course....

We're very fortunate in the Twin Cities to have a number of really good and varied courses. WF is certainly the best of the modern courses in town, IMHO.
I'll second Jeff's point, it's all about the golf.  WF has been more than generous in "giving up" their course for numerous junior golf events over the past several years.  My teenage daughters have played it more than I have and they both love it too.  I, too, feel it's the best modern course in the MPLS/St. Paul metro and for an enjoyable day at the course prefer it to Hazeltine as well. 

Another factor in it's favor is their National or "out of county" membership program.  I'm not sure if it's still at the same dollar amount but the downstroke was reasonable and the monthly dues downright cheap.  The only caveat is you have to reside more than 100 miles away from the gate. 

I understand that the membership is in the process or has purchased the course back from the Rehbein family who originally developed it along with Troy Burne in Hudson, WI.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back