News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

Ordnance Survey Aerial.
Interesting to compare the Old Course, etc. with today. How parts of these auld courses have changed during the past 70-years. For example, Muirfield's bunkers look a tad larger.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:42:14 AM by Tony Ristola »

Tom_Doak

Re: FYI Google Earth sports 1945 aerial for much of coastal Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
Tony:

Is Turnberry included?  It would be great to see what was really left of it just after the war.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »
Tony:

Is Turnberry included?  It would be great to see what was really left of it just after the war.
Unfortunately not. Hopefully they will add that section one day.

Saying "much of coastal Scotalnd" might have been a stretch. It would have been more accurate to say much to the east and north of Edinburgh, around Glasgow and other bits and pieces. Considering Turnberry's wartime role, it's a little surprising it's not listed.

Chris Buie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
Here's a contrast for you to consider Tom. The fairways are quite a bit wider in the earlier versions.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
Chris

Many thanks for posting. I had tried looking on Google Earth but failed to come up with anything. Can you tell me the relative dates of these photos ? The older bunkers look a lot bigger and a good bit more rugged.

Niall

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »
Hi Niall, I'm afraid I don't really know when the images are from. I just typed the subject into Google Images and they came up.
Here's the website they came from:
http://www.maybole.org/places/turnberry/airfield.htm

Emil Weber

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »
very interesting photos conernig Turnberry. that bunker short of the 10th green looks delicious!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »
Chris:

Thanks for those pictures.  I doubt they are from BEFORE the war and are most likely from just after the course re-opened.  But they show the fairways being MUCH MUCH wider than I've ever seen on pictures of a links course.  Just look at the change at the 13th!!

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
With the incredible narrowing and the ridiculous modification/elimination of the bunkering this is the Scottish version of Augusta. But at least they left the streams alone instead of removing them and putting in a bland, character free bass fishing pond - like they did at ANGC 15.
I would definitely recommend they get some of those fabulous artisans that are around these days to reinstate the fantastic bunkering of yesteryear. That early bunker on 10 looks amazing aesthetically and playing wise, does it not?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back