News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Harris

Lancaster Country Club
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing all 27 holes at Lancaster yesterday.  Though completely different from the Flynn original 18, I found the Highland 9 very enjoyable to play.  My host told me that a majority of the members don't like the Highland and it gets little play when it's not in the "rotation".  I attempted to do some research and found that the club's website didn't even mention the architect.  I found some references to Brian Silva, but he doesn't have it listed on his website.   
Does anyone have any information about the Highland 9.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Lancaster Country Club
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
David and William Gordon in 1959 according to GW as LCC is ranked at 72 in Best Classic:

www.golfweeksbest.com/GolfweeksBest/article.asp?ID=125

The club attributes Flynn for all 27:

www.gapgolf.org/clubs.asp?cmd=&cid=57

Paging TEPaul
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
 I played here twice in the last two weeks thanks to the kindness of Rory Connaugton. It is the "best presented" Flynn I have played in the Phila. area. The classic feel has been enhanced by the recent bunker work and the elimination of little crappy trees.  I came to appeciate how meaningful to the look and playability this kind of sensitive bunker work can be.

I hope to get back there when the green speeds can show off the contours of the greens.

I thought this was the most par four intensive Flynn I have played. There is a great mix of short and long ones with many different angles of play and green complexes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:12:42 AM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Mike.  When viewed together, Rolling Green and Lancaster really highlight the very broad scope of Flynn's talent especially the ability to create wonderfully strategic holes regardless of length.  We were very fortunate to have Ron
Forse and Jim Nagle work with us on our bunker restoration project and we continue to consult with them.  Like you, I'm looking forward to the time when our greens can be maintained at reasonably higher speeds on a consistent basis.  Our superintendent Todd Bidlespacher has done a great job restoring healthy turf throughout the course over the last few years after a dark period and we still need to be somewhat careful with the greens this time of year.

With respect to Mr. Harris' question regarding the Highlands 9, it was constructed in the 1990's.  Brian Silva was the architect.  As individual holes they are enjoyable.  There is however enough of a stylistic disconnect as to make playing the main 18 preferable if given the option.

I'm not sure where the Gordon attribution originated. I believe that William Gordon was Flynn's construction supervisor for holes 3 through 6 (constructed shortly before Flynn's death but almost 25 years after the original layout). I believe that they were involved in the modification of the 16th hole and possibly 2nd in the 1960's. They also created the Sunset Six course.  Wayne Morrison is probably more knowledgeable than anyone else on this issue and I defer to him.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
 Rory,

Did you catch the part about wanting to come back !!!?

AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back