News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Yost

The Broadmoor GC and The Senior US Open
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
The USGA website indicates that the US Senior Open is being held on the East course.  My understanding is that the East and the West courses are made up of a conglomeration of original Ross holes and later RTJ holes.  But it seems like I remember reading here that they were going to use a mix of holes from both courses for the open, perhaps to give an all Ross layout?

Anyone know if that's the case, or if it is even possible to do?  Are there 18 Ross holes and 18 RTJ holes?

What will we be seeing on TV?

THANKS!
Tom

BCrosby

Re: The Broadmoor GC and The Senior US Open
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
For regular play, the Ross and RTJ holes are mixed.

From the routing on the USGA Senior Open site it looks like they are using a different mix of RTJ/Ross holes than the mix for regular play.

I too would like to know more.

Bob

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
When I was there a couple of times last year they certainly made it sound like they would be playing the East Course (half Ross, half RTJ) as the tournament course, but I didn't ask specifically about every hole.

JNagle

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
I may be off by one hole but I believe the routing is 1-6 are Ross 7 - 16 are Jones and 17 & 18 are Ross.  The work done in recent years was to take the bunkers on the Jones holes and give them the appearance of the Ross bunkers as they appeared in the old photos.  Many of the Ross holes had bunkers reinstated, mounds added and some new tees.  No new greens were constructed as the Jones greens are pretty good.

In a few short years the West Course will also take on a different appearance.  More extensive work is planned on the West due to topography. 

Ron and I played East two years ago and were blown away by the greens.  We spent a bunch of time and were interested to see how the Sr. would play some of the green, specifically the 4th.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mike Bowline

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:07:25 PM »
The full East course will be used, which is nine Ross holes and nine Jones holes. A road divides the course (Ross on the north side - holes 1-6 and 16-18) and Jones on the south (original holes 7-15)

For the Open, the routing has been slightly changed by making the real hole #11 be #7 for the Open, due to crowd routing concerns across the road.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
Be curious to know what the configuration was for the classic 1959 US Am final between Coe and Nicklaus. Jack has talked extensively about that match and his epic approach shot to the final green when he defeated the extremely talented Oklahoman.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
I dont understand how they go to the RTJ holes in a big tourney.The lightning comes up faster than any place I have been.Ther are some shelters,but that does no good for spectators.It is a common afternoon happening,and it is scary.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »
I cover some of the architectural history of the Broadmoor East Course in my article in the championship program.  You can read it here (it's on page 60)...

http://vincentpublishing.v1.myvirtualpaper.com/USSeniorOpen/2008071801/en/

I think Ron Forse and Jim Nagle did a fine job on a difficult task.  They have created a much more consistent feel to the golf course.  It used to be a jarring experience to go across the road to the Jones holes.  Today, the Ross features - especially the bunkers and the green surrounds are extended throughout.  A great enhancement, in my opinion.

If you want to play all Ross at the Broadmoor, go in the winter, when they play only the lower holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back