News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Christensen

Summer Hilton Head Trip advice
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:35:46 AM »
Hows it going. Heading to Hilton Head with my father and brother in a few weeks for a pure golf getaway. We have access to all the clubs because of summer reciprocity deals so access won't be an issue. We played Long Cove and Colleton River Nicklaus last year along with many rounds at Belfair (Member). We want to try out some new places this year to switch it up. We are thinking Chechessee Creek, Secession, Colletion Dye if aeration isn't going on out there, and Old Tabby along with rounds at Belfair East. We plan on doing 36 a day for three days and then 18 at Belfair East before heading back. We would go out to Long Cove but they always do extensive aeration out there the week we plan this every summer.

Anything you guys see that we are missing or should take out and switch with something else? Also if you have played any of those courses recently, how was the conditioning. Thanks for the help.

Kyle C.

John_Conley

Re: Summer Hilton Head Trip advice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 01:41:48 AM »
Haig Point is pretty neat and Melrose is quite good even though it kind of gets lost in an area with so many good tracks.

I think we need to somehow merge this thread with the conditioning-architecture one.

May River is on my wish list if I ever get back.

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
I'll second Haig Point.  I liked it much more than I expected.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »
Get to Old Tabby if you haven't been before (or even if you have).  It's fantastic.

WW

james soper

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »
secession is a great time. may want to check out cherokee plantation if access is not an issue. wonderful facility with a linksy style course. close to beaufort south carolina.

Joey Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 11:31:17 AM »
The Robert Cupp course at Palmetto Hall is something to see if you've never seen it...
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

bill_k

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 01:00:55 PM »
Kyle,

For my money, Chechessee Creek is the best of the bunch. Very low profile, understated, and fun.
Secession is more about the experience than the golf...it's ok but not good enough to tear me away from any of the others you have mentioned.
 Dye at Colleton River is fun regardless of green conditions. Unlike anything else around and very demanding when the wind blows.
Spring Island is beautiful, secluded, and worth visiting once-the golf course IMO does not measure up to Chechessee right down the road.
Practice facility at Berkeley Hall is world-class but the golf is pedestrian. Hampton Hall has some cool holes.
I was pleasantly surprised by Pinecrest across the street from Hampton Hall. It will never make anybody's Top 100 but it has some interesting holes (especially on the back 9) despite poor drainage-but every bit the equal of Berkeley Hall North design-wise.
The Marshwood (Tim Liddy) and Palmetto (Hills) courses at the Landings in Savannah are 45 min. from Bluffton and both are better than anything on HH island except Long Cove and Harbour Town-definitely worth the drive if you want to try something new.

Brian Joines

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
I would definitely consider May River. I played 36 holes there this February and loved it.  Ran's write-up on May River is great. http://www.golfclubatlas.com/mayriver1.html

I love Old Tabby and Spring Island in general. However, from a purely golf standpoint I prefer May River.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
Loved May River, Haig Point was a dissapointment but I played it about 3 years ago and I heard they renovated it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

KBanks

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
Kyle, Bill K is right about Chechessee Creek. Whatever else you do, don't miss it. It's a wonderful course.

Ken

Brock Peyer

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »
Don't miss May River if you have the chance to play it.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »
When we go to HH playing Harbor Town is a must. The shot values are worththe steep greens fee. The set of par 3's are as good as any on tour. We like to stay in Palmetto dunes. They have 3 courses that are good but not great. Worth playing if you are looking for a 2nd course after playing Harbor Town on the same day.Have Fun,    Jack

archie_struthers

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:02 AM »
 8) 8) 8)

Bring plenty of light clothes and lots of H2O   ....man it's hot this time of year

lol

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
As a regular Hilton Head visitor. I would say Harbour Town is a must go for the experience. Make sure you have a caddie as they will tell you which part of the fairway is the right one otherwise your next shot will be blocked by a tree!

I have played the Melrose (Nicklaus) and Bloody Point (Weiskopf) courses on Daufuskie Island. Its well worth the money and the boat trip is a nice extra!

There is a new Pete Dye course - 'Heron Point' which replaced the old Sea Marsh course. The local pros at Harbour Town say that Heron Point is tougher off the back tees.

http://www.seapines.com/golf/sea_marsh.cfm (weblink)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back