News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

St Mikes - Good original OTM, bad modern extension
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »
Played the original Old Tom St Michaels on a lovely sunny day (with an incredible temperature inversion 'haar' sliding up the Eden) yesterday.

Extended from the original 9 in 1992ish, the course plays over two distinctly different pieces of terrain.

The new nine are quite possibly among the poorest pieces of golf design it has ever been my misfortune to experience (and I've played Drumoig!). Quite dismally dull and boring parallelism at its worst on the flattest old ex-farmland fields with nary an attempt at shaping. Only barely excused by one or two decent greensites. What a shame.

Back 9 - OTM wondrousness. Terrific par threes - one (15th) is about as dramatic a use of the Fife landscape as its possible to do. 150ft drop over about 120yds to a WILD green with an almost punchbowl quality. 16 and 17 are two short par 4s which I felt had to have been a GREAT par 5 at one time. (I know nothing of the course development so can only guess).

Some truly terrible tree planting and ridiculous blobs of long fescue rough only added to my general misery. I was too depressed to even think of taking pictures.

Still, as a 2-for-1 it only cost us 15quid a head to experience. Which was nice.

When next in St Andrews, don't bother...

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Benham

Re: St Mikes - Good original OTM, bad modern extension
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
Do you mean that this is not the original clubhouse?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Marty Bonnar

Re: St Mikes - Good original OTM, bad modern extension
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
Mike,
the quality of the clubhouse architecture is a fair reflection of that of the new 9 holes! Did you play it when in St A?

However, I take my original comment about missing the course back. The good holes are worth a visit. (Get some 2 for 1 vouchers first though!)

Melvyn also passed me some nice info on St Mikes and Old Tom's input. How cool is it that we have such a great source to hand!!! Thanks, Melvyn.

cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back