News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: Jersey Shore Twofer - Galloway and Atlantic City CC
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
 The routing was really a joke. Why not place the tees near the greens when you are building the whole course artificially anyway?

Also, the two par threes on the front run along the water back to back ; one with the water on the right, the other with the water on the left. How inspired is that ?

A few comments on the photos based on my experince of playing there:

The second photo (the bunkers on the left) shows a common example of nonstrategic bunkering.

The hole with the tree left and the bunker right leaves me asking "what choice do I have" besides hit it down the middle.

The next photo presents a v shaped fairway just short of the green. What's the strategic purpose? If you hit it there you bounce into the bunker on the left.

These are just a few specific observations to support my view.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:15:54 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

tlavin

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
They both look worth the trip. In some ways, Galloway reminds me of the Dunes Club, Mike Keiser's nine-holer (where I am a member).  It strikes me as an obvious homage to Pine Valley, as does the Dunes.  The routing issue is not a small one, however.  I can appreciate the conundrum faced by the architect, but a 350 yard walk in between a green and a tee is irritating indeed, sort of like the walk at Bandon Trails.  Doesn't mean that the course is too contrived or too difficult, just means the architect chose to accept the obvious grief the customers would later provide.  To me, this again shows that a talented architect can step outside of his "normal" style and create an architectural milieu that is contrary to what is expected.  That is what Keiser got out of Dick Nugent at the Dunes Club and it appears that Galloway National is helping prove that Tom Fazio is eminently capable of building this kind of golf course.  I'll leave it to the purists to tell me if some of the fairway bunkering is antithetical to this look.  To me, it looks very appealing in the photographs.

mike_malone

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »
 If I were to attempt to emulate Pine Valley the number one thing I would do is to have angled bunkering off the tee and on the approaches that create options for the player.

Terry,

These bunkers are pretty but not very important in one's preshot tactics.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back