News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Where to St. Andrews???
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
I am planning a trip to St Andrews...any recommendations for where to stay?

Kevin Pallier

Re: Where to St. Andrews???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
TOC Hotel

CJ Carder

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
Rusacks... see what you can do about getting a "Course View" room so you can just gaze out the window or stand on the balcony and take in the 1st and 18th in all their glory.

Doug_Feeney

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:06 PM »
If you can get a deal on a course view room at the The Old Course Hotel it is quite spectacular.  Last year (last week in April) a group of us stayed there in Old Course Suites that were £170 per night.  They were absolutely amazing and directly overlooked the 17th hole. 

Believe it was an AMEX deal buy 2 nights get 1 free or something of the sort.  Another part of our group stayed at the Rusacks and the 2 didin't even compare!

View from the room...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:52:14 PM by Doug_Feeney »

Tim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
CJ, good call on Rusacks.  I'm sure after the faucet guy finishes TOC hotel the rooms will probably be on par with Kohler and it has a good pub (although the building is butt ugly) but Rusics has that 'old course' charm and atmosphere that will make your stay truely memorable.  Plus, it's right in the middle of the shops.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
My dad and I stayed in Crail (10 miles south of St. A).  It's an awesome little town with a couple hotels, if you might want to play some non-Links Trust courses.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »
15 miles away and plenty of BUDA aura about the place.  These are the views from the parking lot.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:37:59 PM by Jason Topp »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 01:21:37 AM »
If you are alone, stay at Rusacks and get one of the indentured servants rooms, sloping floor, small window overlooking the course and a shower that is sufficient to wet you down and you know that you are in the home of golf.

You are within fifty yards  of the first tee of the Old Course and nothing will ever get you nearer to the soul of golf than that.

Have a breakfast of porridge, bacon and eggs, a bunch of bangers and cold toast and you will have anough carbos and calories to last the day. Wash it down with some hot tea, milk and sugar and you'll have enough stimulant in you to fail the mandatory drug test on the first tee.

Bob

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
I am planning a trip to St Andrews...any recommendations for where to stay?

Is price a consideration?

We stayed one night at Rusacks--Sunday--because it was less than half the Sat. night price.

On Monday we moved to a B&B up the street, which cost even less, and included a full Scottish breakfast.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

kconway

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »
tim,

where did you stay in Crail??

what courses did you play up there?

kelly conway

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
I like the Vardon House on Murray Place - Tony Campbell fixes a great breakfast and you can walk to the first tee on the Old Course.  There are a lot of B&Bs on Murray Place and Murray Park (connect North St to the Scores), but I prefer the Vardon House.

www.vardonhouse.com/

I like staying in town, there are lots of restaurants, pubs, shopping on Market St and North St, the ruins of the cathedral and castle.  Next trip I may stay in Elie just to be close to my new favorite links!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
I really loved the "St. Andrew's Golf Hotel" (which is not the Old Course Hotel).  Excellent location, locally owned, clean, friendly and a great bartender named Roy.

Just one block away from TOC and right across from the water.

Bart

Gary Slatter

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »
Fairmont St Andrews is ideally located, next to the Castle Course, few miles from Kingsbarns, 2 miles to the Old Course and town, free shuttle, excellent practice area, great food in the clubhouse, comfortable rooms, etc.  The TORRANCE COURSE is closed and being renovated by Gary Stephenson in time for final Open qualfying 2010. The Devlin is outstanding now as it finishes using the former 17th and 16th of the Torrance (two superb par fours). During July and August the Fairmont Course will be in use, made up of the first 4 holes of the Torrance and the last 14 of the Devlin. The Devlin reopens in September, the Torrance next July.
DISCLOSURE:  I work there as DOG. 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

jg7236

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
The below is where my father and I stayed when we went to Scotland a few years ago.  Great place, great food, and great price.

http://www.shandonhouse.co.uk/

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »
The below is where my father and I stayed when we went to Scotland a few years ago.  Great place, great food, and great price.

http://www.shandonhouse.co.uk/

Next door to Ziggy's.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Give strong consideration to The Barns at Kingsbarns. It is a small bed and breakfast where there is a SHOWER & Toilet in EVERY ROOM!

They also have just about the BEST restaurant in the entire area. You'll see George Peper and other St. Andrews notables eating there... the food is fabulous and the deserts to die for!

Tell Ian the proprieter I said hello!

Chris Kane

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
I worked for nine months at Rufflets, where Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson stay when the Open is there.

It's a terrific hotel, only three minutes into town, and a very different experience to what you'll get staying right in the centre.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back