News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Ireland's best Golf
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »
Just got back from an 8 day trip to the Ireland. (What a great place to visit!) Sadly, no golf was enjoyed due to a pretty tight itinerary, and
a lack of even a second golfer in our group of 6. Daily rain did not dampen
our spirits (it is much drier in the pubs), but I did leave, longing to come back and play some day.

Among the courses I could "sniff" were Old Head, Ballybunion, Lahinch,
Doonbeg etc.  We basically covered from Westport on the west coast, to Dublin on the east, to Kinsale in the south and much in between.

What courses in the Emerald Isle are must-plays, and what are the typical weather prospects for a week-long trip? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:54:10 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Matt_Ward

Re: Ireland's best Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
Craig:

Given what you have said - if you have a max of a week - you'll need to determine what part of the country you care to visit and at that point determine the courses you choose to play. I have done the criss cross method to Ireland but it can exhaust even the most intrepid and die hard of golfers.

Likely alternates -- try the southwest corner via Shannon Airport or head to the Northeast / Northwest section in which you can include a few of the great layouts from Northern Ireland and those in the northwest corner.

The issue boils down to how much time you have. In regards to rain -- it's part and parcel of any time there. Keep in mind the rain will surface from time to time and if you're prepared it can be a minor inconvenience. But, no one should go there with the illusions the weather will be akin to Scottsdale or Palm Springs.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »
Craig

The best time of the year weather wise to come to Ireland is early september. The weather tends to settle for the first two weeks or so with some fine autumnal sunshine.

As for where to go, as Matt pointed out pick a portion of the country ie Southwest, Dublin, North or West/Northwest, and you'll find plenty of good golf to keep you occupied for a week.

For a first golfing trip I'd nominate the Southwest with Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville as must plays and then through in a couple from Doonbeg, Killarney, Dooks, Ceann Sibeál.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
What courses in the Emerald Isle are must-plays, and what are the typical weather prospects for a week-long trip? Thanks

I'd say 3:

- RCD in the North

- Lahinch and Ballybunion (Old) in the South

Les Cordes

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
i only know the north/northwest as an overseas member of ballyliffen..but a nice run might be ballyliiffin (old and glashedy..), rosapenna or portsalon, royal portrush, portstewart, castlerock...and then a finish at RCD on the way out from belfast or dublin......farther afield to the west and south a bit are murvagh (donegal), portnoo, rosses point and enniscrone ...outside of RP and RCD....the prices are not too bad.....southwestern ireland can be expensive...les

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
Craig -

If a golf vacation in Ireland has a downside (and it is just a small one), it is that the most highly regarded courses in Ireland tend to be spread out all around the coastline of the island.

If you are thinking about a trip of 6-8 days, I would suggest concentrating on just one or two areas.

The courses worth playing in each area would include:
Dublin: Portmarnock, the Island, the European Club (about 30 miles south of Dublin) & County Louth (aka Baltray, about 30-40 miles north of Dublin).

Southwest: Killarney, Waterville, Ballybunion & Lahinch

West Coast: County Sligo (aka Rosses Point), Carne (aka Belmullet) & Enniscrone 

Northwest: Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, Narin & Portnoo (there are a couple of others I cannot recall)

Northern Ireland: County Down, Portrush, Portstewart & Castlerock

Sean Arble has posted excellent pictures here within the past week of several of these courses. Scroll down to take a look.

DT   

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
I would add Dooks as a sporty course that is inexpensive and very friendly to outside play. Very engaging membership and probably the most unique logo-the natterjack-a toad!

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:36 AM »
As I always suggest, pick an area and try to stay in one place, maybe two.  Cutting down windshield time is paramount - its dead time.  There is no need to rush to the next great course when your car is already in the parking lot of great course - play it twice or thrice.  Rushing around to all the major hot spots is akin to hitting 6 major museums on a 7 day tour.  It all just blends together. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
 Craig,

I think it depends on what you find enjoyable. I have evolved from wanting to play the top classic links to wanting to play very good courses that are away from the tourists. Of course, I have played the top classic courses several times and can afford to move on.

I would suggest you play Ballybunion , Lahinch, Portmarnock, Rosses Point, and Royal County Down (Others would add Royal Portrush to the list.). After you do that tell us what you liked the best and what your thoughts were about your non golf time there. Then I could probably tell you where to go next.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back