News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Miller

Played Tanglewood Park Championship today
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:29 PM »

I played RTJ's Tanglewood Park Championship Course (just south of Winson-Salem) this afternoon and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bargain and a real test of golf.  

It only cost $31 to walk and as a twosome on a Sat. afternoon we got around in under 3 hours (I think a lot of people play the Reynolds course due to the Championship's difficulty).  From the tips, the course gave me all I could handle and more--came as no surprise Trevino won the 1974 PGA out there at 4-under.   Walking off the 18th green, I had the feeling, "Man that was fun but I am beat!".

From a purely architectural standpoint, the course has its plusses and minuses.  It's a wonderful driving course--some beautiful vistas and you really to have to work your ball a number of different ways to get in the garden spots.  At the same time, green complexes seemed a little monotonous--all heavily-sloping greens surrounded by deep red clay bunkers (I'm going to dream about red clay bunkers tonight).  And the course IMO could have used a change of pace hole, say a short par-3 or risk-reward 4 or 5.  

All in all though, at $31 it's probably one of the best deals in the country, and I hope to get back there in the near future.

(I wish I had pictures but I forgot my camera!).

Tim Bert

Re:Played Tanglewood Park Championship today
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
I played a few years ago.  I thought I had more photos on my computer, but if I do I can't find most of them.  The thing that remains in my mind from the course is the bunkering.  It's all over the place, and there are some dangerous ones around the greens.

Here's a picture of the bunker death march up the hill at 18...

Bill Gayne

Re: Played Tanglewood Park Championship today
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
Anyone been out to this course lately? I'm playing it on Saturday for the first time so any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Brian Cenci

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
Tanglewood Park - Championship is a fabulous course and quite possibly the best "deal" in the country.  The course in my book is every bit as good and IMO better than another RTJ course, Hazeltine National.  Tanglewood's bunkering fits the overall landscape and layout perfectly.  There really is a great variety of holes and shots that need to be played out there.  I haven't played it this year but I have opened my season the previous 3 years at Tanglewood.  IMO it's on the verge of a top 100 classic course, since I think it was built in 1959.

-Brian

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
I honestly think Tanglewood is top 100 if they could put more money into conditioning, since I feel that has to be a part of the criteria. But its a great course, might be one of the 5 best I have played.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
I played the course on Saturday and it is a sensational course that is flying completely under the radar on this website.  It's in a county owned park with a $31 walking green fee and $47 riding.

It's wall to wall bermuda and was in great shape. Fairways are generous but there is definitely a strategy as to which side you want to be on. The bunkering has a reddish clay color, broad shoulders, and the occasional ragged edge. The Bermuda greens had some nice undulation and the speed was set right. If they ever converted to a bent grass it would probably be too much.

Plenty of opportunity to get in trouble but if you think your way around you can post a nice score.

If you're within a four hour drive to Winston Salem NC or travelling I85, I would highly recommend seeing this course.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »
How is it this course has flown under the radar...

Anyone else have some imagery?  I am always interested in learning of a new RTJ course.....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matt Bosela

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:24:46 PM »
I agree that this course doesn't get its due here.

It's been a few years since I was down there but it truly was a pleasurable place to play.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »
Bill G. I agree with eveything you posted except the greens are bent, not bermuda. I have played there a bunch including 72 holes this past Friday,Saturday & Sunday. Very fun golf course at a good rate. I must say though, that has to be one of the ugliest cluhouses I have ever seen ???

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »
If you out-of-towners like Tanglewood, you should try the Bryan Park - Champions Course about 40 minutes away in Greensboro.  The course is hosting the Pub Links in a couple of years and just went through a nice renovation.

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
I played the course on Saturday and it is a sensational course that is flying completely under the radar on this website. 

Sounds like a "hidden gem"!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
Having played both Tanglewood and Bryan Park Champs, I'd do the ten round differential at 6-4 in favor of Tanglewood.  Both are good, but I prefer Tanglewood.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »
Greg,

Thanks for the clarification on the grass and I concur on the clubhouse.

Bill

Brian Cenci

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
If you out-of-towners like Tanglewood, you should try the Bryan Park - Champions Course about 40 minutes away in Greensboro.  The course is hosting the Pub Links in a couple of years and just went through a nice renovation.

Jay,
    I'm not a huge fan Bryan Park.  With 10 rounds I'd go 9-1 for Tanglewood.  Bryan Park has some solid holes in a stretch along the water on the back 9, but other than that it is pretty boring.

-Brian

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
I played Tanglewood for the first time in about 14 years today, and I have to say I was unimpressed.  While there are several top-notch holes, there are also some major "what the hell" holes out there.  And they are in serious need of some tree work. 

For those of you that play it regularly, what is the deal with hole #3?  that may be the worst hole I've ever played on a "championship" golf course.

Dan Chapman

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 07:04:45 PM »
I used to play Tanglewood all the time in college and it's definitely one of the best deals you can find.  The course can really beat you up if your game is off.  As for hole #3, I scratch my head every time I play it.  My friend likes to think of it as a 3 shot par 4.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
I played it with a local, who said everyone there calls #3 the shortest par-5 in the state.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back