News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Waldorf

Re: Torrey Pines.... I should've listened
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »
Ryan:

Looks like your second to last picture at Rustic is the 12th green. Was that pin in the middle (just over the hump)? Or all the way back. Hard to tell from the picture. Curious as to your opinion of that pin and green. The hole is a favorite of mine, because it's so understated, and because you can pretty easily manage a 2 some days (well a 3 for sure), but doubles and triples are also very easy to come by if you're not careful. It was designed with the 10th at Riviera in mind, I believe, and does have some of that hole's playing characteristics.

Cheers,
R

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 01:32:25 AM »
As someone who has played over 100 rounds at Torrey South (post renovation) I feel the need to chime in here.  I grew up in San Diego and a high school golfer could play either course at Torrey for $10/month!  I am sure that they changed this policy after the U.S. Open, but it was a great opportunity and allowed me to see all sides of a great course.

The South course gets a bad name on this site because the Rees changes were geared toward the U.S. Open and not the average golfer.  The course is brutally difficult but that was kind of the point.  Despite its length and narrow fairways, there is still quite a bit of strategy involved.  For example, the tee shots of 3, 6, 7, and 17 provide the golfer with subtle strategic decisions.  The more aggresive one's line, the more one brings the canyons or other trouble into play.  There are a lot of situations in which the prudent player is tempted to take a shorter club off the tee, leaving a dreadfully long approach.  The 13th hole is great little par 5 that tempts the longer player to stupidly go at an elevated, well guarded green with his 3 wood because the safe play is not a bargain either.  The routing at Torrey makes clever use of the natural site, canyons, and ocean views.  If I could suggest improvements on the course, I would suggest that the canyons be brought into play more often and that there be at least one shorter par 4 (as they created on 14 in the U.S. open).  Additionally, I am not a fan of Rees' greens, which consist of many dramatic tiers and humps but are virtually flat on each level.   

I am afraid that many posters on this site unfairly equate difficulty with the lack of strategy and architectural interest.  Would anyone here hold the same view of Torrey if not for the outrageous greens fees?  Would you feel the same way had you played the course from 6800 yards?  What if the course had been conditioned like a private club?

I have also played the North course dozens of times and Barona a handful of times.  It is preposterous IMO to rank either of those courses ahead of the South Course.  Architecturally speaking, neither can hold a candle to the South.  If I had 50 rounds to play between the North and South, I would play all 50 on the South without batting an eyelash.  I can legitimately say this because I have done this.  The dozens of North course rounds came when I had to play the course in tournaments or when I could not get out on the South.

I am very fond of Rustic Canyon, but comparing Rustic to Torrey is truly an apples to oranges comparison.  What's the point?

Matt Day

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 04:21:34 AM »
I'm going to have a look in February as Torrey Pines has a number of similarities with what I manage (apart from the US Open/PGA Tour bit)

Looking at the google earth photo the fairways seem to be very narrow with some no more than 20 metres wide. Is that normal for Torry Pines or is the aerial taken during tournament time?

Tom Yost

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:44:52 AM »
Is Torrey South being maintained with the "open setup?" (i.e. narrow fairways and high rough)

Martin Toal

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
Just got back from San Diego, we played Barona Creek, Torrey Pines North/South, and made the drive up to play Rustic Canyon.

As everyone on here said Torrey Pines is overpriced as well as overrated, reading all the posts on here I wasn't expecting a whole lot but even those expectations weren't met.

In general all the rounds were slow 4:45-5:15

If I had to rate them based on my overall experience it would be

Barona Creek
Rustic Canyon
Torrey Pines North
Torrey Pines South

Either way I was just happy to be golfing in December.Will post some pics soon!

That beats either of my past rounds at Torrey by a good hour. I was rather underwhelmed by Torrey.

My favourites in the area are Maderas and Meadows Del Mar

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
Ryan:

Looks like your second to last picture at Rustic is the 12th green. Was that pin in the middle (just over the hump)? Or all the way back. Hard to tell from the picture. Curious as to your opinion of that pin and green. The hole is a favorite of mine, because it's so understated, and because you can pretty easily manage a 2 some days (well a 3 for sure), but doubles and triples are also very easy to come by if you're not careful. It was designed with the 10th at Riviera in mind, I believe, and does have some of that hole's playing characteristics.

Cheers,
R

Yah we played that as our 3rd as we started on the back, the pin was almost at the back, I can see some people seeing the green as unfair but I had a lot of fun with the greens that day even with all my 3 putts, I had 30-40 yards left after my drive, first chip rolled off, second chip was a few feet from the pin, made the putt to save par. I also enjoyed the 3rd hole(our 12th), drove the green but 3 putted for another par which was disappointing.

Alex Miller

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
Is Torrey South being maintained with the "open setup?" (i.e. narrow fairways and high rough)

The rough is no where near "Open" rough. Fairways look the same to me, though the right side of 4s green is less shaved down.

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
Glad you had a good time, Ryan. I always like to hear what people think of 12, as it can seem like an odd little hole, especially when you stand on the tee and there's pretty much nothing to aim at. Which is one of my favorite features. I have always loved how Gil and Jim and Geoff showed so much restraint there -- it would have been easy to add a bunch of stuff to that fairway to give you more obvious visual cues. There's just something wonderful about not having them. The you get to the green and things can get a little dicey!

I like 3 also. Personally, I'm not a big fan of playing the nines reversed at Rustic, as I think the course builds beautifully from the front through the back nine. But if you put a decent score up for the back nine and then head to the front, you can wind up with a good day, since it's definitely a few shots easier.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Torrey Pines South

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
I'm going to have a look in February as Torrey Pines has a number of similarities with what I manage (apart from the US Open/PGA Tour bit)

Looking at the google earth photo the fairways seem to be very narrow with some no more than 20 metres wide. Is that normal for Torry Pines or is the aerial taken during tournament time?

Matt,

Fairway width stays the same year round. Once it's established for the PGA Tournament they just don't bother to change it back. There are indeed some fairways that are less than 20 yards in certain spots. The rough is mown down to about 1.5 inches a month after the tournament. Feb. rough can be brutal, after they give it a little fertilizer and we get a some rain.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt Day

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
Pete
Thanks for that, seems to be pretty tough for the average golfer? Is the straight fairways a standard thing as well, seems like a slight change in mowing patterns might bring more of the fairway bunkers into play?

Can't wait to have a look, 4 weeks to go :)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
Torrey Pines South

Ryan, great pics.  I don't know why Torrey gets so little love.  A great course.  The pics make me want to play it again.  It is tough, but a great course.  Have to play well, shot making is important, and there is certainly stategy involved.  If the correct tee is played, it can be fun.  It ate me up, but I didn't care (usually I do) because the course was playing difficult (wet, we played too far back) as the experience there was well worth it. 

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »
We played the white tees 6600-6700ish, which was a comfortable but still challenging length, quite easy to loose a ball in the rough even  5-10 feet off the fairway.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my day, I'll take golfing in sunny California over the 2 feet of snow on lawn any day, I just think the non resident rate($215-$259) is way out of line. Bethpage is somewhat comparable being city run, host of the us open although probably a little more difficult to get on, and they charge $100-$120.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back