News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

The Logistical Side of BUDA: Compendium of Best Practice
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to list, for reference by future organizers, best practices in the preparation of BUDA. Let's do this now while memories are fresh.

What is a "best practice"? It is NOT personal preference or an untried idea. There is room for those but not on this thread.

This is for practices that have been tried, tested and found to be true.

A few to start:
1. Ideal date: first day of comp the day after the US Open final round. This allows for a prime time get together the night before - sometimes even the first night, too. Other benefits to this June date are: long days, few family holidays, pre-tourist peak (bad but not yet horrible), easier to get pass from warden owing to Father's Day proximity. 2009 US Open concludes 21 June, FYI.

2. Choose a hotel that A, we can "own," and B, has a good bar. Pub culture is a vital part of UK, so this makes BUDA's belly glow. Good to have our own communal spot.

3. As with practice 2 above, it is far better to choose courses where we will be treated with importance than to choose important courses. In practice, this means Rota courses probably get one day (or none) of the comp - the UK has such a deep bench of excellent courses this should go unsaid - added benefit is it weeds out anyone keener on ticking a course off a list than in joining fellow defectives. That might even qualify as an automatic sending off for failure to demonstrate wing nuttery, whether or not dipped in chocolate.

4. A speaker of some authority adds a lot not just to the dinner but to the event.

5. Formal dinner must be on Monday. Raggedness / knackeredness sets in after that.

6. Competition rules should be adopted if they serve to engineer a fantastic finish, discarded if they serve the opposite purpose.

7. Pairings should serve first the opportunity for people to play with and against as many as possible. But personal preferences should be honored by captains, particularly where satisfaction is sought for a past crushing!

What else?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:56:30 AM by Mark Bourgeois »

Mark Pearce

Re: The Logistical Side of BUDA: Compendium of Best Practice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »
Not sure 1 is yet proven best practice.  2011 would give us a chance to compare a September date (many of the same advantages and links courses, in particular, likely to be at their absolute peak) with a US hosted Ryder Cup finale on the Sunday evening.  That could improve even on last Sunday's atmosphere.

Otherwise agree on all these.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »
Cap'n Mark - I would agree with all your points.

Consistent Mark - whilst I agree that links courses are generally in great condition come September, the light available by the third week (generally when the Ryder Cup is held) would make it difficult to play 36 holes a day if we had as many attendees as this week.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »
Cap'n Andrew,

We had similar numbers at Alwoodley (and further South) and managed.  There is always the possibility of starting a little earlier (as we did at Elie), of course which might save some people the trouble of going to bed at all.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »
Please take with ocean of salt - this is coming from someone who never has attended a Buda and sadly may never....

But are any of the US participants fathers with smaller kids?

If so, having this around Father's Day would make it a NON-starter - that is, being gone on that day will not fly.  The little ones want to honor Dad, not have him choose to be gone.

If there are none of these, then oh yes that's a great time to do it.

I love all the other best practices in any case!  We shall adopt and adapt to our US events.

TH

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
Tom

Being a good father in England means sending your son off to boarding school, where his education will consist of experiences such as having his head jammed into a flushing toilet and being pummeled by Flashman...

Paternalistically - or is that patronizingly,
Mark

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
8. Match results shall be held in confidence by the competitors, placed in an envelope and sealed. Envelopes to be opened at the day's end.

(Thanks for the reminder, Bryan I.)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
Tom

Being a good father in England means sending your son off to boarding school, where his education will consist of experiences such as having his head jammed into a flushing toilet and being pummeled by Flashman...

Paternalistically - or is that patronizingly,
Mark

LOL!  Oh I get that.  I was just speaking about American visitors.  Those with younger kids, well... let's just say going to the UK for golf instead of being there to accept gifts and meals and adulation would not be taken kindly.

But I have a feeling this doesn't really apply, at least not to many.

So great stuff!  I especially like nos. 6 and 7.   I've tried to apply those to The King's Putter.  In the end what I found is that keeping the competitive aspects up is mostly just an organizational help... people know when they play, with whom... likely more of an issue here than there though; tee times and the like being more regimented here.

One question though:  what's the purpose behind keeping the match results secret?  I can see that it must be a lot of fun as they are opened... but it's pretty darn fun also knowing how things stand as one plays... clue me in on that.

TH

TH

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
Tom

It offers a formal recounting of the day (envelopes are read after each day, not at the end of the total comp), allowing for a House-of-Commons type of, uh, conversation. Lots of "testiculating" (waving your arms whilst talking bollocks).

But let's build the list. Do you have a #9?

Mark

PS People leak like seives and results do trickle out before formal announcement. Generally of a "Jeff Matey is a bandit / best partner ever - took 8 holes off me / X." Good stuff.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
Tom

It offers a formal recounting of the day (envelopes are read after each day, not at the end of the total comp), allowing for a House-of-Commons type of, uh, conversation. Lots of "testiculating" (waving your arms whilst talking bollocks).

But let's build the list. Do you have a #9?

Mark

PS People leak like seives and results do trickle out before formal announcement. Generally of a "Jeff Matey is a bandit / best partner ever - took 8 holes off me / X." Good stuff.

Fantastic - totally understood - great idea - I am gonna suggest this for our US events.

TH

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:01 AM »
Cap'n Andrew,

We had similar numbers at Alwoodley (and further South) and managed.  There is always the possibility of starting a little earlier (as we did at Elie), of course which might save some people the trouble of going to bed at all.

Not only that, the Sept weather at Moortown served to trim the field nicely.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
Mark

Firstly, thanks for taking this conversation of ours and Andrew at Lundin forward.  As for the particulars:

1.  Agree that mid-June is best, but the event has worked well at other times too.  The US Open was a bonus this year, but now that Tiger maight be hors de combat for a long time, who cares about Majors anymore?  As for Father's Day, Huckaby can do what Jason Topp did and bring the whole brood over with him, or what I did which was to spend the first part of the day with them and then leave them at home.

2.  BUDA Central Hotel idea is ideal, but we will not always be able to get a place as good for our needs as the Crusoe.  We should keep trying, however.

3.  Disagree.  Hoylake was the perfect host, as were Dornoch, Littlestone and Alwoodley (even though these are only on "minor" Rotas).  So was Painswick, even though the only Rota it will ever be on is the GCA Wingnut MINI-Tour.

4. and 5.  Agree

6.  Part of the Spirit of Buda is that the highest rule is that there really are not any rules.  In this way it is very similar to the Parable of the Assasins........

7.  Agreed in principle, but I think that long standing grudge matches should be given more precedence.  This will encourage players to become repeat offenders (oops, "participants"), which is good.

8.  This was a great idea of Andrew's.  Long may it live.

9.  I'd try to think of more rules, but I keep going back to my interpretation of Rule 6.......

Cheers

Rich

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
Rich:

Regarding my Father's Day thoughts, again, take with ocean of salt being I am a non-participant and sadly will almost certainly stay that way.  My note was just a bit of a reality check in case there are others with smaller kids; and for those, it's likely unrealistic to bring them all to the UK and then abandon them for several days of Daddy-only golf and craic... But all kudos to Jason Topp!

Thus IF the thought is to do the event around this weekend, well... you may well lose these types.  But it doesn't sound like there are that many of them, so it likely is no matter.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
Mark

Firstly, thanks for taking this conversation of ours and Andrew at Lundin forward.  As for the particulars:

1.  Agree that mid-June is best, but the event has worked well at other times too.  The US Open was a bonus this year, but now that Tiger maight be hors de combat for a long time, who cares about Majors anymore?  As for Father's Day, Huckaby can do what Jason Topp did and bring the whole brood over with him, or what I did which was to spend the first part of the day with them and then leave them at home.

2.  BUDA Central Hotel idea is ideal, but we will not always be able to get a place as good for our needs as the Crusoe.  We should keep trying, however.

3.  Disagree.  Hoylake was the perfect host, as were Dornoch, Littlestone and Alwoodley (even though these are only on "minor" Rotas).  So was Painswick, even though the only Rota it will ever be on is the GCA Wingnut MINI-Tour.

4. and 5.  Agree

6.  Part of the Spirit of Buda is that the highest rule is that there really are not any rules.  In this way it is very similar to the Parable of the Assasins........

7.  Agreed in principle, but I think that long standing grudge matches should be given more precedence.  This will encourage players to become repeat offenders (oops, "participants"), which is good.

8.  This was a great idea of Andrew's.  Long may it live.

9.  I'd try to think of more rules, but I keep going back to my interpretation of Rule 6.......

Cheers

Rich

Where else but Painswick and Hoylake did the club have a dinner for us?  Painswick even brought forth the wonderful Delia with her eternal ode to GCA, followed by Peter McEvoy as after dinner raconteur.  The dinner at Hoylake was memorable.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
I remember eating a nice dinner at Alwoodley, wearing a jacket and tie and hearing from Nick Leefe concerning the course's history.

Or perhaps that was a fever dream after my drubbing on the course earlier in the day...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
The Hoylake and Alwoodley dinners were awesome.

The only advantage to drinking (and by extension eating) where you sleep is the reduced possibility of sleeping in a govt owned bed.

But that's neither here nor there when it comes to Buda knife fights.  The Parable of the Assassins: that's the one with lawyers isn't it?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
Rich:

Regarding my Father's Day thoughts, again, take with ocean of salt being I am a non-participant and sadly will almost certainly stay that way.  My note was just a bit of a reality check in case there are others with smaller kids; and for those, it's likely unrealistic to bring them all to the UK and then abandon them for several days of Daddy-only golf and craic... But all kudos to Jason Topp!

Thus IF the thought is to do the event around this weekend, well... you may well lose these types.  But it doesn't sound like there are that many of them, so it likely is no matter.

TH

Tom:

I agree.  I would love to be part of the BUDA someday...but it will be another 8 yrs before I could disappear on Father's Day....It just rules it out entirely until my kids are older.

Bart

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
Rich:

TH

Father's Day is a marketing scheme to sell ties and underwear!

Celebrate the day on Saturday instead of Sunday, then catch a plane for the Buda (which should be part of your Father's Day gift, by the way). How excited would your kids be waiting to get a call each day from the Buda Cup to learn about your adventure... that they (partially) gave you for Father's Day!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back