News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Mandel

Re:Applebrook Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 10:33:22 AM »
Mike,

For starters I would say the MAINTENANCE BUDGET ;D

I happen to like Applebrook better.  I don't neccesarily think the property is better but I like the overall feel of the place.  There are some really, really good holes out there.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 11:27:19 AM »
Mike,
Obviously, Applebrook has more funds in their maintenace budget, and it shows.  When you look at the initiation fee of FC vs. Applebrook, you can see where the funds come from.  And that's OK - both are built on different economic models.

But concitioning @ FC is definitely getting better - I think our ownership saw the deficiencies and is working hard to address them.  I've seen marked improvement this year - better equipment, better maintenance staffing, etc.

I think that Gil had better ground for golf at Applebrook - not as many forced carries (I only remember one, and even that one wasn't too bad) or long walks.  In fact, I loved how the green --> tee walks were so short.  The following teeing area often melded seamlessly from the prior green - very nicely done.

Obviously, Gil had some significant environmental regulatory issues when building FC, and that's why you see it as 3 "islands" of golf.  Island "A" is holes 1-2-3-9-10-16-17-18.  Island "B" is 11-12-13-14-15.  Island "C" is 4-5-6-7-8.

French Creek was obviously a lot more hilly and probably more difficult to build.  Interestingly, I think that leaves FC with a more visually pleasing golf course, but Applebrook with the better overall layout.  

But we could easily tell that Applebrook was a Gil Hanse design.  Some of the flows of the green surfaces reminded me of holes at FC - not that they were duplicates, but you could tell that they were designed in the same vein.  Both have a short/quirky/fun hole (FC #15 and Applebrook #3).  Both have really a super set of par threes.

But best of all, both are courses that I'd love to play over and over.  There is no opportunity for boredom at either course.

I also liked how Gil's As-Builts were framed and hung in the clubhouse between the pro shop and the locker rooms.  Shows to me that the membership "gets" golf architecture.

Personally, I feel that Applebrook is a fantastic golf course that should be considered to be in the top tier of Philly area courses.  Hopefully, with TLC and time, FC will grow into the same tier - we aren't there yet, but we're making progress  :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 02:05:29 PM by Dan Herrmann »

mike_malone

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
 Dan,

I am glad you mentioned the tee to green relationships and the forced carries as differences. However, I would add that as a result of the hills, that FC has some more challenging shots than Applebrook.

I also agree that what I call Gil's "sense of humor" exists at both places. FC is a wonderful place to play for you guys in the "ruburbs" (my father-in-law's expression).

AKA Mayday

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »
Judging from the aerial, it seems Gil amalgamated the tee and green complexes on numerous occasions at Applebrook. This is rarely seen because of the obvious safety concerns it poses, but if a private club is to have little play, then this certainly contributes greatly to the flow and feel of the golf course.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=100+line+road,+malvern,+pennsylvania&ll=40.002208,-75.530480&spn=0.005944,0.007510&t=k&hl=en

(you must cut & paste url to properly link to aerial)

???
TK
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 01:30:20 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 02:12:19 PM »
Tyler - you're absolutely correct.  It was a great experience walking less than thirty yards on fairway length grass to the next tee.  In fact, the 'fringe' of the green led seamlessly to the next teeing area.  

Pretty cool stuff.

Gil does some neat things with teeing areas.  FC's #1 doesn't have any dedicated teeing area, and our #17 has it's back tee almost at a 45 degree angle to the desired playing line.

Ed Oden

Re: Applebrook Golf Club
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
This is the most recent thread I could find on Applebrook and it is three years old.  Does anyone have an update on the course or played there recently?  I had never heard of it until I started looking to fill out a trip this weekend/next week with a round on Monday, when most other clubs are closed.  Applebrook seems to be very much worthy of playing.  Correct?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ed

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
 Ed,
    I'm not familiar with your tastes but Glen Mills is a more intriguing idea than Applebrook by a small margin. Since it is public Monday is no problem.
AKA Mayday

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
I'd say it is more than worthy of playing. In fact, it would be great if you did and then started a new thread sharing your thoughts and experiences. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ed Oden

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
Mike, thanks for the suggestion.  I am undecided as to whether I will do 36 at Applebrook or try to play both there and at Glen Mills.

George, I'll see what I can do.  No doubt I will be far less capable in that endeavor than many others on this site.

Ed

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
One thing that may sway things: I can't imagine many courses are better walks than Applebrook. To my recollection, almost every tee was situated right next to the previous green.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
    I think it's the best Philly new course.  Better than Stonewall and Galloway;  maybe equal to Hidden Creek.  Lots of fun; fair; nice walk; lots of variety; great shape.  Hard to believe Hanse built Applebrook and Inniscrone (arguably the worst new course in Philly).

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
Ed, for me it's an easy choice - Applebrook.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back