News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Jim Vernon - rules official?
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
Was that Jim Vernon making the ruling on 17 for Phil's greenside drop?  Sure looks like him.  I believe Jim scored a 98% on the rules test so he's certainly qualified to follow the marque group as the official, but I just thought he's be sort of busy today.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:16:45 PM by Peter Wagner »

JohnV

Re: Jim Vernon - rules official?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
Not a surprise, if the USGA President is rules certified he would certainly get the marquee group the first day, especially when it is being played in his backyard.

TEPaul

Re: Jim Vernon - rules official?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
I believe I heard from someone who certainly would know that Jim Vernon is really good on the Rules of Golf---really, really good. Those are the kinds of officials that go out with those kinds of groups, because "on course" they are very good, and that's what you want and need.

If I were out there in the US Open with a group like that (and I've been officiating for years) and Tiger or Phil asked me for a ruling, here's what I'd say:

"Well, what are the facts of this particular situation and what are you trying to accomplish, and are we talking about match play or stroke play here because the Rules application can be quite different, you know?"

;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:58:59 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back