News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

New UK/Ireland Links Courses
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »
Trying to plan a trip overseas for this fall and want to make sure I am not missing anything significant or going out of my way for anything that isn't. Other than St. Andrews Castle, Machrihanish Dunes, Doak's course at Muirfield and Gil's course are there any links built in last 5  years?

David_Tepper

Re: New UK/Ireland Links Courses
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
Jeff -

By "Gil's course"(Gil Hanse, I presume), are you referring to the new course at Castle Stuart? The course will be available for VERY limited play this fall. It will not be open for business till next June-July.  It is worth a look (assuming you are in the area), even if you will not be able to play there. I toured the course 4 weeks ago. It is quite an impressive project.

Other new(-ish) courses in Scotland are Dundonald (Kyle Phillips, which I believe is not available for daily fee play) and the 2 new courses at Archerfield (next to Muirfield and the Doak project at Archerfield).  I have not seen them and cannot comment regarding whether they are worth seeing and/or playing.

There have been a good number of courses built in England & Ireland in the last 3-5 years.

DT

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »
Yes I meant Castle Stuart.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »
Jeff -

Castle Stuart is certainly worth a visit if you are headed to the Highlands to play Dornoch, Nairn, Brora, Golspie, etc.  My understanding is the Castle Stuart course will only be available for a very limited amount of media access play in September-October.

DT   

Scott Whitley

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
Dundonald was available for public play in August 2007 - so assume it may still be.

I think Rosapenna Sandy Hills qualifies (just) under you definition - opened in last five years.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »

I think Rosapenna Sandy Hills qualifies (just) under you definition - opened in last five years.

I will do a photo report.   This was my surprise in the 7 Ulster Courses I played this April.  Next year the resort adds 9 holes by Doak.  Time to revise your plans?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:40:23 AM »
With so many classic links courses to choose from I'd exhaust them, then look at England and Wales before looking at the newbies.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back