News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Re: Best opens of the last ten years
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
1999 got to take it, but you have to amit that the US Open is pale in comparision with the Open. It may just because i'm Irish but lasts years Open was the best major in the last 10 years by a country mile!

Mike Mosely

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »
Brad, I don't think I can agree this was the third bast Open ever, but it was really exciting, amazing, and it overachieved on a lot of levels.  I'd have to agree that '82 was better and 2004 - even though it was a collapse in was historic and grand theatre, so was snead taking an 8 to blow the open that one time, just because it isn't a happy ending doesn't mean it wasn't epic in its own way.

Over all time?  Well I missed quite a few back in the day ;) but 1913, 1930, 1954 (withered hand!), 1960, 1966, 1963, 1981, 1973, 1983 are all vintage years.  Those are just from memory, if I had a list in front of me I could be more thorough.

I also like the 18-hole playoff.  What's good for TV is often bad for golf.  Moreover, they underestimate how dramtic a playoff can be.  one writer called it "pistols at dawn" and that's cool.  What other sport does that?  TV should embrace it and build it up. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »
1999 got to take it, but you have to amit that the US Open is pale in comparision with the Open. It may just because i'm Irish but lasts years Open was the best major in the last 10 years by a country mile!

Maybe one of the best for gagging.  Every one of the contendrs bogeyed or double bogeyed the last hole of regulation. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back