News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pratt

Waverly Oaks
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »
I'm headed to Cape Cod in July. Is Waverly Oaks the best public access course in the neighborhood (within 45 minutes of Hyannisport)?

Bill_McBride

Re: Waverly Oaks
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
I played New Seabury about 18 years ago and enjoyed it in a brisk wind. Don't remember a whole lot else but the ocean was in sight on a few holes.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
Waverly is excellent, but Red Tail is even better.  Try red tail first...then waverly.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
Red Tail isn't near Cape Cod.

Waverly is good. Look into getting on Cape Cod National.

Marion (Mass.) Golf Course is near and dear to my heart, a 9-holer and the first design of George Thomas. No fairway irrigation, very quirky.

Also look into Plymouth CC, a Ross design.

Anthony

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:51 PM »
He said "within 45 minutes of Hyannisport."

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
The simple answer is yes.  Have played Waverly a few times.  Pace of play has been excellent and the golf likewise. Wide fairways, excellent conditions and lots of fun.  Brian Silva design inspired by Raynor. Enjoy it more than the nearby Pine Hills.  If you're in Hyannis the Captains courses in Brewster are worth checking out.  36 holes of quality golf by Brian Silva - one of his first if not first designs.  Both courses are similar but i'm partial to the Starboard.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
I don't drive as fast as you do.

MapQuest lists distance from Devens, Ma. to Hyannis as 117 miles.

Anthony

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
I'd go with Waverly, but Plymouth is fun. Haven't played New Seabury. What is that little nine holer that was renovated when they moved that light house? Supposed to be fun and quaint.

Whatever you choose, make your reservations now. Do not count on being able to walk on anywhere in July. Waverly and Pine Hills do a lot of outings. If you play Pine Hills, most prefer the Nicklaus, Jr. course, and I concur.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »
Peter

The answer is yes - Waverly is the best public access course on / near the Cape.

If you want to stay on the Cape proper I would recommend The Captains courses and Old Barnstable.

If you get over towards Buzzards Bay you must check out the quirk of Marion and take a ride down point road for one of the best drive by's in all of golf Kittansett.

If you head towards Newport, Newport National is the best of all of them.

A question for the others - anyone hear any news about the Nicklaus re-do Ocean's Edge re-do?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
Jay and Tony,

Heck, depending upon traffic, Waverly is more than 45 minutes from Hyannis!

Go play Highland Golf Links in Truro and Thomas' Marion course. 

Try Olde Barnstable Fairgrounds.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »
Tim:

How could I forget? Highland Links is an absolute must!

Anthony

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
If you are up for more of an excursion and avoidthe Cape Cod bridge traffic, you can take the Hyline ferry from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard and play Farm Neck. Cabs are waiting at the ferry and the course is right in Oaks Bluffs near both ferry ports. Very scenic and probably the best Cornish course out there. For marital bliss if you are married, your wife could shop in Edgartown at Vineyard Vines and similar. Not a cheap day, but a memorable one for sure.

The same is true for Nantucket, but I have never played that course.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael Powers

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »
Jeff,
If you can get to Fitchburg (Red Tail) from Hyanissport in 45 minutes, you gotta let me know what kind of helicopter you have.
HP

Peter Pratt

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the counsel, and Pete for the great pics!

Peter

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »
Have fun at Waverly Peter.

Mike...I think Jay's best bet may be Cape Air...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back