News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

RIP Tommy Bolt
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
Golfweek's website reports that he passed away on Aug . 30
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RJ_Daley

Re: RIP Tommy Bolt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
Has anyone read Mr. Bolt's book, “The Hole Truth"?  Don't tell me Sir Boab has played with Terrible Tommy, as well!  :o :D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
I think he spent most of his last years at Black Diamond Ranch in Ocala, FL.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bruce Leland

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »
I think he spent most of his last years at Black Diamond Ranch in Ocala, FL.

Correct Steve.  He had an honorary membership there and was beloved by the membership.  I missed an opportunity a few years ago to play with Tommy due to illness.  I'm sure it would have been a memorable round.  Sad to hear of his passing.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
God needed a club thrower. RIP. One of the great legends.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
Very sad to hear. As a sometime club thrower myself I could certainly relate to him.

My favourite Tommy Bolt story goes like this.

Coming towards the end of the round Bolt says to his caddie "What do you think we need here?"
Caddie says "Three iron Mr Bolt."
Bolt says 'C'mon, you know old Tommy don't need no three iron to get to the green?"
Caddies says, "But Mr Bolt, its the onlyest iron we've got left!"

I swear its true!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:48:09 AM »
I read an interview with Bolt this year, where he said the temper tantrums were an act.  He learned early on it created lots of p.r.   

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 07:12:07 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
Ninety-two is such a good innings; may we all be so lucky.

Interesting ... it will always be Tom Kite, never Tommy Kite, and always Tommy Bolt, never Tom Bolt. Tommy Bolt’s case was so indicative of many of the best players: he only started to win once he kissed goodnight to his hook. Henry Picard, Jimmy Demaret, Hogan, too, are solid cases in point.

Hogan addicts will know that Bolt was very much liked by Bantam Ben, and admired, too. But not for the usual reasons that Hogan may choose to take a fellow professional into his corner, although there were precious few. Hogan liked the way Bolt acted around him; he gave the little Texan lots of "grief", sledging his character for fun, wisecracking about Hogan's addictive nature. More than anything, Hogan was amused that Bolt wasn't the usual “kiss-ass” type of US pro at the time. It's a story for another day, but much of the mystique of Hogan developed by Hogan thinking he had to act that way; that people expected to be some type of deity; that when he became semi-unstoppable people started to act differently around him, and so he did, too. But Bolt didn’t, and was one of the few who didn’t lay down the carpet.

Bolt’s summation of the relative merits of Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan is both telling and succinct. Said Bolt, famously: ‘I often saw Nicklaus watch Hogan on the range; but I never saw Hogan watch Nicklaus’. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »

Bolt’s summation of the relative merits of Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan is both telling and succinct. Said Bolt, famously: ‘I often saw Nicklaus watch Hogan on the range; but I never saw Hogan watch Nicklaus’. 

Paul,

Hogan did indeed watch Nicklaus. It was in the 1960 US Open at Cherry Hills. He was mightily impressed and said "The kid should have won by a mile" or words to that effect.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
My God, I thought Tommy Bolt died some years ago. This is a bit like what happened with Howard Hughes, a guy I was fascinated with some years ago. He actually had to die to convince me that he wasn't dead already.  ;)

I remember Bolt pretty well personally because of my Dad and particularly my Dad's connection to Dave Ragan, a fellow contemporary tour player of Bolt's.

I can tell you, as a kid or whatever, I was a bit intimidated by Bolt---he actually pretty much looked as explosive as he actually was.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
Bob H:

What Hogan actually said about Nicklaus in that 1960 Open at Cherry Hills when he played with him in the last round was: "If he'd understood how to manage his game he would've won this championship by 10 shots."

I heard Nicklaus comment on that Hogan remark about him in the Open (I think it must have been on that really good hour long documentary on the 1960 US Open) and he said in his opinion Hogan was absolutely right about that---eg he did some really stupid things he would learn later never to do again.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
If Bolt wasn't a nut job is there a chance he would have made the hall of fame?  Seems like one major and 15 wins is the thinest record in the hall.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Bolt
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:32:24 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Paul_Daley

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »
Hi Bob: Yes, it's well known that Hogan and Nicklaus played together in the US Open at Cherry Hills. It may have been missed in my comment, but what Bolt was saying was that Nicklaus took time out (while practising) to observe Hogan, but that Hogan was never spotted watching Nicklaus beating balls on the range.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back