News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Go to Pebble Beach for the Food -- NY Times
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
Interesting story in the New York Times. Now I know the paper is trying to aid the destruction of the American Dream, Democracy and the family, all the while supporting terrorism and not supporting our troops, but this is an interesting piece.

Anthony

IN 1947, Bing Crosby summoned his pals to Pebble Beach, Calif., for a boozy golf tournament by the bay. The event, officially the revival of the National Pro-Amateur Golf Championship, was called the Clambake. But no one came for the cuisine.

Over 60 years later, golf remains Pebble Beach’s bread and butter; tee times at its namesake course sell out a year in advance. But this scenic coastal stretch two hours south of San Francisco is staking a claim beyond its fairways. With an influx of headline chefs, a splashy culinary festival and restaurants that showcase the region’s bounty, Pebble Beach is trying to rebrand itself as a golf mecca gone gourmet.

The biggest news springs from Pebble Beach Resorts (www.pebblebeach.com), which in late March hosted the first Pebble Beach Food and Wine festival, a four-day alignment of culinary stars. The festival drew more than 250 wineries from around the world and a roster of such leading chefs as Thomas Keller, Todd English and Jacques Pepin.

Patrons paid $4,750 for all-inclusive access to a rare wine auction, wine-pairing dinners and cooking demonstrations. At a charity golf tournament with celebrity chefs that opened the proceedings, Dom Pérignon and lobster sandwiches were served near the first tee.

True to its reputation for extravagance, Pebble Beach has added other culinary programs priced and pitched toward upscale travelers, the idea being that golfers who spend $475 on a tee time might want more than hot dogs after a round. For those who ask, the Lodge at Pebble Beach will set up leather chairs beside the 18th green of the Pebble Beach Golf Links, a tranquil spot to sip rarefied spirits or smoke a pre-embargo Cuban cigar.

At Club XIX, an elegant restaurant overlooking the course, the new chef, Ressul Rassallat, formerly of the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills, has revamped a French-accented California menu with prix-fixe dinners that can include anything from foie gras ravioli to braised short ribs with truffled potato purée.

Mr. Rassallat has dotted the restaurant’s calendar with special events, including a June 12 appearance by Michel Escoffier, great-grandson of the famed chef Auguste Escoffier. He and Mr. Rassallat will serve a $105 five-course dinner based on classic Escoffier recipes. In mid-October, the start of spiny lobster season, Mr. Rassallat will offer a special menu featuring the coastal California catch.

Pebble Beach is well positioned to play a greater culinary role. It is in Monterey County, one of the largest wine-grape-growing regions in California, with over 45,000 acres of vineyards, and the Salinas Valley, which runs through the county, is known as the state’s “salad bowl.”

A sign that food may attract more visitors to the area lies a few miles inland from Pebble Beach. Michel Richard opened a branch of his Washington restaurant Citronelle at Carmel Valley Ranch (www.carmelvalleyranch.com) in January. Similarly to Mr. Rassallat, he offers what the ranch calls “a delectable union of French elegance and regional California flavor” on the grounds of a (recently renovated) golf course.

“People around here will always think of San Francisco first when it comes to food,” said Ming Tsai of Blue Ginger in Boston, another top chef who attended the event. “But Pebble has the ingredients to become a serious culinary destination.”

Bill_McBride

Re: Go to Pebble Beach for the Food -- NY Times
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
The Tap Room might be the golfiest dining experience in the country.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
The Tap Room might be the golfiest dining experience in the country.

It is, with prices to match the golf course.  I found out after paying $10 for a simple pint of SN Pale Ale...

Joe Bentham

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »
ever hear of posting a link instead of copy and paste?

Matt Varney

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »
When I played Pebble Beach the first time I dropped about $400 for the golf, caddie and tips then dropped almost $500 in the pro shop buying things for family and friends.  My wife and I walked over to The Tap Room to have lunch and it was a great experience eating a great burger and drinking a couple beers from The Tap Room mug that I purchased.

I agree The Tap Room has a great feel and after completing your round it is the best place to sit and talk about it over a couple beers.  I think lunch (a couple burgers, a couple beers and a couple iced teas) was like $55.  Then again what is $55 when you spend a $1,000 in 5 hours playing golf and buying keepsakes in the pro shop.  It doesn't make any sense that is why you do it for the experience of playing Pebble Beach.  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
Joe:

I have thought of that.

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
Don't open this link if you are offended by reality or my pompous and dogmatic observations about rich folks excesses... sorry in advance if it offends... and I do know that we are all part of the same hypocrisy... but still...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1060000/images/_1064978_starving300.jpg
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
Best deal is the giant chocolate chip peanut butter cookie, about 1200 calories each
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:55:47 PM »
My wife and I had dinner Friday evening at Club XIX at Pebble . As we were celebrating our 10th anniversary the price wasn't an issue. The quality of the food and service was top shelf. The ambiance of watching players finish as the sun set on 18 was spectacular. Just a perfect evening! On the other hand this would not be the place to take a casual date given the very pricey menu- a special place for a special date.

Matt Varney

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:02:14 PM »
I agree with Jack about food and dining at Pebble Beach.  This place has a unique setting unlike many courses you will ever play.  When I played the first time it was in October Sunny about 70 degrees and I had the first tee time that morning walking in the dew with a caddie was the closest thing to being in heaven.  When you finish your round you just don't want to leave the place it is that special.  So you head over to The Tap Room and just enjoy the experience so that you can remember it forever. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »
I have had many an experience at Club XIX for well over forty years with more than one companion, however, the last thirty five have been with just one.

Many years ago the restaurant had a young Italian guitarist who took over the corner near the window and we would dance to Ah, di La or whatever the popular song of the day was. The ambiance was unbelievable and the price was right. The best room in the house was seventy five dollars a night.

The only time I go now, is if I am a guest of someone from Europe who thinks that the price is right.

If you like a Picasso painting on a plate, fine, but for a good meal try elsewhere.

Curmudgeonly  Bob.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
Wow, $4750 just for access to the rare wine auction!  If I had to spend that at Pebble, I think I'd rather have the 10 rounds of golf.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »
Is it possible to have a topic about something on this site without it turning into a "pricing bitch"?

Good things cost money... some of us are excluded from experiencing such things as frequently as we would like... get over it.

I guess it is true that when the masses complain you know you have made it.

Not everything is for everybody.

If Pebble were a $150 golf course it would enjoy better reviews by many on this site... is that just????

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back