News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Dinkmeyer

The Club at LochenHeath
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
Apparently Grand Traverse Resort will manage the course for the 2008 season. I am unfamiliar with this course, wonder who designed it, when, and playability?

Thank you!

PThomas

Re: The Club at LochenHeath
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »
Smyers...a person who's opinion i value liked it A LOT!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »
I understand that Smyers has done some fine tuning of the course since it opened.  I played it the year it opened and was very disappointed.  It was on a good site but the routing seemed strange.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:10:10 AM »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
LochenHeath has struggled since its opening -- in fact you could say the day they opened was the day the golf market here became saturated.

Last year they moved a couple of holes on the front nine, apparently to create a few new lots to sell, but it doesn't look like to a passer-by that either the lots or the golf course are doing very well.

I thought it was a nice course although there were a couple of greens that were EXTREMELY severe -- if you landed a ball on the front of the green but not deep enough, it might come back 50 yards down the hill so you'd have a chance to do it again.  On the first of them, a par-5 (#12 ?), over the back of the green was also dead.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:14:18 AM »
Im totally shooting from the hip here so feel free to correct me.

It opened 5ish years ago, originally managed by Troon golf.  I think the goals was to whet the public's palate with high end public golf and then take it private.  Well, they took it private before its time and before they could sell many lots.

I guess the resort took it over a couple weeks ago after it had been dormant for the spring.  Its a bonus for those who are members of the resort because now you get 4 courses for your membership instead of 3.

Thats all I "know" as I havent played the course.  JT played it a couple weeks ago so he might have more insight.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
I like the course, but Tom's right about the greens. I count 5-6 greens with false fronts, a few of which trundle your ball down steep hills. Very difficult course with a few exceptionally good holes. I wouldn't want to play it every day.

Brian Joines

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
I played there last summer and really enjoyed the course. I never saw the original course so I cannot comment on the changes but the course we played  was a lot of fun. I seem to remember our caddy mentioning the new holes being the longer par 3 over the lake and the short, dogleg right par 4. I didn't find the any of the false fronts too severe so I'm guessing Smyer's work  was successful in the club's eye.

I will note that the facilities were really first class. The practice range had to have been very new. I had more fun hitting to those greens on the range than any practice range I've used in the past. The club is definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. We played 36 at Kingsley on Saturday, 18 on Sunday morning at Lochenheath and 18 at High Pointe in the afternoon. (High Pointe is only about a 5-10 minute drive.) It was a great weekend!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back