News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Have Prevailing Winds Shifted in Your Area?
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »
We have a Southeast wind today.  I used to consider such a wind a rarity. 

The last 3-4 years it seems that prevailing winds in Minneapolis have changed from NW/SW to NW/SE.

I don't really want to start another global warming argument but the winds are more like they were in Des Moines than they usually have been here.

Anyone else have the same impression in their area?  Is there a source to tell me whether my impressions are consistent with actual data?

Dan Herrmann

Re: Have Prevailing Winds Shifted in Your Area?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »
Jason,
I too have noticed a lot more NE/E/SE wind here near Philly.   This is likely due to a La Nina condition in the Pacific the last couple of years.

I know our course plays quite difficult with an E wind.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
You must be sending these winds across the pond via the gulf stream as I have noticed a shift in wind patterns in the last few weeks making my home course play very differently to the norm.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
I haven't notice a change in the wind direction here.  But what I have noticed is the increase in wind velocity since the first of the year.  It seems that every day we have a 15 to 20 MPH wind velocity in the Indy area. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
Is there a source to tell me whether my impressions are consistent with actual data?

See http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMNPLYMO6&day=19&year=2008&month=5&graphspan=year

Begin clicking on "Previous Year." This might  (or might not) help.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:41 PM »
 8)

I notice more wind blowing out of the north and northeat during winter and bad weather periods while its nice and warm down here in se tx
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
I don't really want to start another global warming argument but the winds are more like they were in Des Moines than they usually have been here.

Hmmmm.

Washington, D.C., and Nashville, Tennessee are both southeast of here.

Just a coincidence?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
A lot of it has to do with El Nino/La Nina, the North Atlantic Oscallation, and the abundance of cut-off lows.  There's a nasty cut-off up north of Lake Ontario that's been reaking havoc with the NE and Mid-Atlantic USA (and S Ontario/Quebec too) for a week now.    Just look at your barometer if you're in one of those regions - We haven't seen >30" readings for quite a while now.  Right now, we're at 29.62, which is really low for this area.

With a cut-off low, you also have a chance for an Omega Block, where the jet stream across North America looks like a big Greek Omega character.  It blocks systems from moving.  If you're in the ridge area, you get warm sunny days.  If you're in a trough, you have crappy cold rainy weather.

All these definitely affect wind direction.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »
Not so much the direction but the frequency and the velocity.  Seems like everyday we are double digits in wind and it seems to be just the last couple years this as cropped up.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back