News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

How much water do golf courses use?
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »
For the next time someone mentions that golf courses guzzle water......and thinks we can solve any future water problem by eliminating golf courses.

Of course the last statement will be criticized - with 11 acres of water on average, aren't golf courses wasting water through evaporation? ;)

The following environmental facts for U.S.-
based golf courses were distributed during the
National Golf Day:

• Golf course irrigation accounts for less than
0.5 percent of the 408 billion gallons of
water used per day in the U.S.

• Less than 15 percent of golf courses use
municipal water supplies as a source for
irrigation water

• Approximately 12 percent of golf courses
are already using recycled water for irrigation

• On average the standard 18-hole course
consists of only 100 acres of maintained
turfgrass

• Nearly half of all golf courses increased
their acreage of native/natural/unmoved
areas by an average of ten acres between
1996 and 2005

• Typical 18-hole golf course landscapes average
35 acres of dedicated forests, wetlands,
ponds, streams and other specialized
habitats

• Golf courses average 11 acres of water bodies,
nearly double the amount of dedicated
acreage used for maintained greens and
sculpted trees

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

Re: How much water do golf courses use?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:09 AM »
Jeff:

Yes, but has the acreage of turf under irrigation gone down or up in the twenty years since you and I have been in the business?  And has the total use of water gone down or up?  I know you don't have statistics on those topics, but the golf industry tends to only study the questions where they can find a positive answer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »
Tom,

No question this is a spin study, accentuating the positive.  My real aim was to show just how small a problem golf courses are in terms of water useage.  I mean, even if all golf coruses get cut off by half, we save 0.25% of our water useage.  I get the impression at public hearings that some folks think if we just got rid of golf there would be no water shortages.

I suppose we could do the math.  If acreage has dropped an average of ten acres per course, but there are 1500 new courses at 100 acres each......

Or, if a train leaves Omaha going 50 MPH heading west...... ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
Our new greenkeeper has pledged to try to use at most 30% of what his predecessor used.  Our course used to be kept wet and slow, and now it's firm and fast.  Plus the roots are much healthier.

I wonder what the typical greenkeeper is doing if he was over-watering so badly.  I hope he was a statistical outlier!

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
We have a major water problem here in Atlanta. I am on a committee at our club to study the issue. It is particularly critical for us because we are trying to implement a number of changes to the course before the GA state am in 2010. Thus the ability to water new sod is very important.

East Lake has a similar set of issues with its new greens and course changes. (The changes are interesting, btw.)

Dealing with the local authorities on these issues has been very difficult. Primarily because of the lack of reliable information about golf course water usage. What our course pulls from the municipal system - which is negligible - doesn't seem to matter much. What seems to matter to the authorities is the public perception that golf courses guzzle public water for a recreation for rich people.

We need better, more realistic and more timely information about the water usuage of golf courses. Everyone sees through spin.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »
Jeff - 
I can't think of a more important topic. The industry is going to have to do better in the years to come in cutting back on water, both in reality and in the way they describe that reality.  Using statistics like they do above (e.g. If all courses cut water usage in half we'd save .25% of usage) just BEGS people to dig further, especially those coming to the debate with preconcieved notions or a basic and automatic dislike of golf. Just one stat -- like the average amount of water poured onto an average golf course in an average year -- is what people will remember, and that number seems huge, and will be deemed unacceptable, no matter how unfair that is (i.e. because we're using recycled water and creating natural wetlands etc). And old friends of mine spent 6 years on a government commission made up of the 8 Great Lakes States and a couple of Canadian provinces trying to get all to agree not to divert water from the Great Lakes; that agreement still hasn't been finalized, and may never be, because of this argument from say, State X: "The water is partly ours, and if we want or need to build a pipeline down to New Mexico and Arizona and sell that water to them, we're not going to be told we can't by anyone else".  Now imagine if that pipeline is built? The first question, the first big headline in the papers in Chicago and Detroit and New York, will be how much of that water per day is going down there to irrigate golf courses.  And those numbers will seem big, and will have to be addressed head on.

Peter       
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:53:14 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
On the other hand...

I spent the weekend in Durango, Colorado with an old friend from D.C. who retired a few years ago from the World Bank, where he was an economist and country manager, a very respected guy apparently.

During the course of a lot of conversation he mentioned that there is more potable water put on the 140+ courses of the Coachella Valley every year than available to the entire nation of Bangladesh.

I had no way to refute that statement so quickly changed the subject and asked for another glass of wine.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:54:23 AM »
Bill,
That may be true, but the story reminds me of my old parochial shool lesson - "eat everything on your plate because little children in China are starving."

It's not like we could get the water from the Coachella Valley to Bangladesh, could we...

Then again, our friends in Southern California have started talking about a mega-aquaduct to get water from the Columbia River to LA.   Needless to say, the citizens of Washington and Oregon weren't thrilled with the idea.

I really think that water rights are going to be more important than oil in 2100.   

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
Bob,

Certainly a national report can only give perspective.  I shared it just for the idea of negating "public perception," or if you will "spin" from the "other side" if there is such a thing.  Right now, your water issues are very regional and very real.  For your particular situation in Atlanta, you would need pump reports from a cross section of courses/clubs. That is becoming more and more availalbe as new pump and control systems come on line, and in some areas, water useage is required to be reported.

Bill McBride, I don't know how much water they use in Bangledesh, but what the heck does the fact that there are municipal water shortages in third world countries who haven't built pipelines and water plants in Africa have to do with our situation?  They certainly get enough rain there to have water.  That comment is a non starter.

Dan,

I think a lot of overwatering comes from old irrigation systems with poor control.  The industry will need to get new systems in place as a major tool to reduce water useage and improve turf at the same time, by elimination of the need to overwater some areas to get proper water on others.  New systems can save 23-46% water over a 20 year old system through better control.

Peter,

And the answer to that question will be "less than 0.5%!"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »
Bill,
That may be true, but the story reminds me of my old parochial shool lesson - "eat everything on your plate because little children in China are starving."

It's not like we could get the water from the Coachella Valley to Bangladesh, could we...

Then again, our friends in Southern California have started talking about a mega-aquaduct to get water from the Columbia River to LA.   Needless to say, the citizens of Washington and Oregon weren't thrilled with the idea.

I really think that water rights are going to be more important than oil in 2100.   

Dan,

Water will definitely be more important since the oil will all be gone by 2100!   There could be wars fought over water if we aren't careful. 

I think my friend was merely calling attention to the need to change practices.  I do remember being quite pissed off when I saw my brother hosing off his driveway in Orange County years ago when we were in a serious drought in Northern California - 1978? - and water from Northern California was being sent to Southern California via the aqueduct.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:01:44 AM »

Bill McBride, I don't know how much water they use in Bangledesh, but what the heck does the fact that there are municipal water shortages in third world countries who haven't built pipelines and water plants in Africa have to do with our situation?  They certainly get enough rain there to have water.  That comment is a non starter.

I did start my post by saying he worked for the World Bank, right?  ;)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »
Good subject, not many answers to the problem.  They are prepping us in Northern California to get ready for water rationing so I'll assume that most courses are not prepared for this.

I would also like to know how much electricity golf courses use?   Recently I was in the pump house at a 45 hole golf course and the buzz of power was so loud you couldn't talk.  It takes huge pumps and much electricity to power those pumps.   On average, whats the electric bill of a golf course.   Of course I am leaning to golf courses to install wind or solar power generation systems which as far as I know, only a few have.   Clint Eastwoods course in Carmel, Tehama may have been the first.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:56 AM »
For our projects here in  the Northeast, we need to prepare water budgets for construction, grow-in and annual operating maintenance BEFORE we can acquire the necessary permits for construction to begin....these budgets are prepared by a hydrogeologist with input from our superintendent, as he/she needs to live with  that water budget for the long term.....on average we get about 75%-80% of what we ask for in the water allocation permit and make due.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
Jeff -
please don't misunderstand: I think and I'd like to think that industry folks are taking this seriously and doing good things and making good progress. But if you think the answer to my hypothetical question will be "less that .5%" instead of "50 million gallons" (or whatever the actually figure is) I think you're wrong.

Peter

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
Peter,

I understand that 50,000,000 gallons or an average of 300,000 gallons a night per golf course sounds like a lot of water.  That's why the golf industry puts that out in % to counterdemonstrate what the effect really is. It may be a losing battle, and it has been so far, no doubt.  But thats why its so important for the golf industry to give some perspective.

I think most people would allocate 0.5% of water resources to a healthful outdoor activity.  I think most figure golf courses use about 30% of the total water consumption of a city.  BTW, that can happen in a small town with limited water supply, i.e., Colbert Hills.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »
Jeff:

My initial questions were not referencing the total number of courses in America but the individual courses.  My experience is that newer irrigation systems, while theoretically more efficient, are designed to water many more acres of rough than they used to be, and as a result may use MORE water than before.

Don't your courses today irrigate more of the rough than the ones you worked on for Killian & Nugent?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »
Tom,

That is true in many cases. I did an article for GCI last month and in my research found that many courses were using more efficient irrigation not to save water, but to water more area, as you suggest.  Of course, with good enough control, the can water roughs far less, and even turn them off when conditions dictate.

The other perception problem that golf faces is that water is short everywhere. In northern MN, that will probably never be the case, as it is in PS.  Of course, a lot more people want to live in PS than MN!

Yesterday, on a spring grow in visit on a TX project, we agreed to have the contractor install more irrigation in some rough areas that were to go native, but which weren't grown in properly. It does seem that a resurgance of the "temporary irrigation" model for native areas does need to make itself known.  Right now, it seems grow in crews have forgotten how to hand water so no future irrigation is necessay.  They can be native, but I can understand the perception that some future super might feel the need to water the natives once in a while, or gasp, even return it to turf.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »
Jeff,
The biggest problem is always with people's perceptions. When you say that a course uses 300,000 gals of water per day someone else translates that into 1,500 gals. per day per player(at 200 pp/pd).
That's a lot of water per person, don't you think? I don't even care if 90% of it is effluent at the 12% of courses that use reclaimed water, it still sounds like a lot.
Every faction that uses water cites every other faction as 'just as bad' or worse. 'Golf' should just present the facts and let people judge for themselves, i.e. when they realize that they use over 21,000 gals.(est) of water on their own lawns they might judge golf less harshly.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
Jim,

Yeah, but think how little water that is per grass plant! ;D

My whole point is that it does sound like a lot of water, sure, but its not in relation to the total water used.  Kind of like worrying about (or understanding) the enormity of Billions in consumer Debt vs. the Trillions of dollars of our total economy.  Its a big number but (matter of opinion) possibly a reasonable number.

As to the general overwatering perception, and as an additonal response to TD's question, most of the courses I know actually have irrigation systems that can provide far less water than a turf plant actually needs.

In theory, based on evapotranspiration, a DFW course with 100 acres of turf needs about 260 AC-Ft of water a year but I know many that get by with less than 200 Ac-Ft simply due to irrigation system limitations.

If so, these typical courses are getting by on less than the optimum, not overwatering.

That said, when computer irrigation first came out, with the ability to estimate a certain ET value every night, many supers simply put that amount down, say 0.25". I always argue that anywhere it rains that they should put down 80-90% of actual loss, hoping for rain to make it up at some point. 

Greg Chambers

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
I feel we could benefit from educating the public on just how sophisticated our irrigation systems have become.  We tend to irrigate our golf courses when we need to, not just because we can.  And most times only areas of the course that require the additional irrigation (on top of what mother nature graces us with).  This is in stark contrast to areas around my region, where hay fields that are thousands of acres large are flood irrigated all summer long.  What a waste of water that is.  Or the irresponsible watering of parks and recreation areas, where they are just left to water the same amount every night, no matter the weather conditions.  We as golf course managers are far more responsible with water than many other industries.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Ken Moum

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
FWIW, there's a lot of good info on the EIFG site. Two places to start looking are:

http://www.eifg.org/water/default.asp

http://www.eifg.org/portal/portal/portal.aspx?menu_type=category&identifier=1

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »

Here are some excerpts from a recent Golf Industry Column of mine:

When looking at the cost benefit ratio of infrastructure, there is little question that upgrading your irrigation system often pencils out as the best investment you can make.  And, the numbers continue to get better.  The irrigation industry spent its formative years working to let superintendents irrigate more turf more reliably.  But with water restrictions proposed or reality in many areas, irrigation companies focused effort on reducing total irrigation needs. 

The newest generation of irrigation systems offer substantial reliability upgrades with better gear drives, solenoids and grit resistance from their predecessors.  More importantly, new sprinklers offer substantial cost savings in water and electricity use.  The advances are so broad, that any course with a system over ten years old should consider some new components or possibly and entirely new system.  If your system is 20 years old, it’s nearly certain that a new system will be worthwhile. 

Improvements have come in sprinklers, control systems and designs that allow laser like precision in applications.  The newest generation of sprinklers has distribution uniformity of 88%, versus 67% or less a few years ago.  DU is a measure of uniform water application within a sprinklers coverage area, with 100% being perfectly even application.  At 67%, you need to run the system 1.5 times that required to assure adequate coverage everywhere. (1/.6666 = 1.50)  At 88%, additional running time is reduced to about 14%.  Thus, simply replacing worn out sprinklers may offer water and electrical savings of 23%.

Some courses have experienced another 23% water savings by installing a new system designed for “precision application.” Irrigation designers know that more sprinklers equals less water usage.  Tighter spacing increases DU, and fights wind effects.  Using back to back part circle heads - once thought to be a luxury between greens and surrounds – is now used commonly to increase control differential for fairways and roughs. Using part circles on the border between turf and native areas eliminates unnecessary irrigation of native areas.

New irrigation system designs also focus more on control flexibility.  This allows the superintendent to fine tune the system to irrigate different micro climates, such as hill and valley, shade and sun, much better than designs a decade ago, which focused on minimizing pipe and wire.  Better control not only reduces water use, it reduces annoying wet or dry spots enhancing both turf health and play quality.

Irrigation control no longer requires guesswork and systems never have to run while it’s raining.  Newer central controllers are “smarter” and use real time evaluation and data from past experience to constantly and intelligently adjust, cancel, pause and/or resume irrigation programming in response to changes in temperature, wind and precipitation and ET.  Central control systems can monitor system flow to keep pipes running near capacity.  This shortens watering time, saves water and energy, reduces pipe and pump wear, and completes watering sooner, allowing earlier mowing to beat the crowd.

New “Wireless Soil Monitoring Systems” which allow superintendents to determine irrigation need on actual on soil moisture, salinity, and temperature measurements, rather than computer calculations of ET, show great promise for further water savings.  Naturally, location of these devices in representative micro climates makes them the most effective.

In one instance, the superintendent has documented 46% water savings on a per acre basis, by after installing a new system based on modern components and precision design. Some clubs use water savings to water more acreage and improve turf, others choose the cost savings of using less water, and a few use new systems simply to survive newly imposed water restrictions.  I recently proposed a “precision watering” system for a course that will eventually add nine holes to avoid the cost of rebuilding their supply line.

Precision systems do cost more up front.  Irrigation consultant Terry Little of Aqua Engineering in Ft. Collins, CO notes, “While long term savings will no doubt offset up front expense, in the current economy, many courses still opt for less expensive systems. Like many irrigation innovations, the new technology seems more common in the west, where water needs are often most critical.  But, it works everywhere.”

Mike Lacey

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
Some Phoenix area numbers as a point of comparison.

A golf course built up to the allowable turf and water feature restrictions imposed by the Arizona Department of Water Resources will be granted an annual allotment of 457 Acre-Feet (4.9 AF/acre for turf up to 90 acres and 6.2 AF/acre for up to 2.52 acres of water feature). 

That equates to an average daily water use of 408,000 gallons.  It is enough water for the annual needs of somewhere between 3 and 4,000 people. 

Peak water use can easily exceed 3x that amount in June/July and for rye establishment during overseed. 

Allotments are based on the physical features of the golf course.  Some have less turf than ADWR allows and have correspondingly smaller allotments.  Older courses built before 1980 have no acreage restrictions and can have much higher allotments. 

There are incentives (additional allotment) for the use of reclaimed water.  Courses built on Indian reservations are not subject to the restrictions. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back