News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: O/T Dogs & Golf
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:51 PM »
On the Sunday morning I played at Huntercombe there were numerous singles and couples accompanied by dogs. One fellow was playing along with his retriever at heel and when he'd approach the putting green the dog would sit about 20-30 yards away until the golfer finished putting. Then there was some signal involved for the dog to come meet the golfer at the next tee.

On one green the guy must have 3-putted or something because he hustled over to the next hole without remembering the dog, looked down and then around and finally spotted his faithful companion back in the previous fairway waiting expectantly. He gave the signal and the dog was obviously overjoyed not to be left behind after all.

Good dog. Fine club.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
A good number of Superintendents raise dogs for the golf course. In fact, this years Turfnet Calender is devoted to those dogs.

I've always wanted to, but then I see the 9 foot alligator next to the 11th tee and I reconsider.

Jason Connor

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I take my dog about everywhere. But I've never taken him to the course. He's mellow and would be great, I've just never asked an owner.

Here he is after a romp in the mud.

The super of the course I lived on in Indiana brought his chocolate lab out all the time.  Every morning I'd see the super's maintenance cart going by with the dog in full sprint.  The dog had to be in great shape.

If I'm walking or driving and see a stray dog, I'll always stop, see if the dog has tags, and try to return him safely.  Once right by my course I saw a yellow lab. I stop my car, go up to him, and was looking for this tags when I guy yells at me.  Turns out it was a new maintenance guy bringing his dog out.  I had to explain this is what I do because I love dogs, I wasn't trying to steal him!

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
Brent,
What a funny story.  I can easily picture the dog's reaction when he finally got summoned.  My dog is pretty good, but I can't imagine her waiting for me like that one.  Of course, I haven't really had the chance to train her for golf.

Kyle,
Something tells me dogs & gators aren't a good combination.  I have seen a lot of supers with dogs, but not in Florida.

Jason,
Great picture.  Looks like a lot of personality there.  I try to do the same thing with strays and haven't gotten yelled at yet.  I did get in a minor argument with some idiot whose dog I returned that didn't seem too concerned about the dog being in the street several blocks away, but that's about it. 

John Keenan

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
John M

That dog you returned to the less than happy owner may not have been lost dog rather sadly an abandoned one.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
We played Royal Dornoch last Sunday afternoon with our little shitzu Marley in tow.  The next day we left him in the car as I didn't think Rich Goodale would appreciate it.  Marley has ridden in a cart for maybe 600 rounds (in Jamaica) but this was his first time walking 18 holes.

It's pretty common to see dogs on the Old Course or other courses around here.  More common than kids.

Dornoch was everything you all (GCA) have been saying, loved it.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »
Go to reply No. 40.

Amber , my Yellow Lab, retrieved a dozen Pro V1s  from the hedges alongside the 18th hole at Pebble Beach last Sunday morning.

She was well rewarded.

Bob

John Mayhugh

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:58 PM »
Bob,
I wish that I could name a single thing that my dog has done in financial contribution to her upkeep, but I can't.  Amber sounds like she's quite the hunter.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »
I hope that Tom Doak will see this and tell us the story of the cover photo on the Confidential Guide.

Ron Farris

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »

Last month my son and I played nine with his dog.  I was taken back when the pro looked at me as if this was a complete breach of rules.
Perhaps he has not been across the pond.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
It bears repeating that we have asked a few people to leave the course, but never a players dog. 

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
The best "rounds" of my life were shared with my dogs.

Each Thanksgiving and Christmas I would take them out with me to The Walker Course at Clemson University (ah, "winter" in the south). The course was closed those days so we didn't have much to worry about.

One year, playing particularly early, one my dogs bolts away from me and I start sprinting after him. Turns out he spied a fellow canine a fairway away and went to play. As I reached the two rolling around with one another, the other dog's owner, bag in hand, looks at me, and says "Merry Christmas. It doesn't get better than this, does it?"

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, no my dogs never trampled on the greens. Has anyone met a dog that prefers nice short grass when they could roll around in nearby bushes, ponds, etc?
                                                                                       Peter

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »
Brent,
What a funny story.  I can easily picture the dog's reaction when he finally got summoned.  My dog is pretty good, but I can't imagine her waiting for me like that one.  Of course, I haven't really had the chance to train her for golf.

Kyle,
Something tells me dogs & gators aren't a good combination.  I have seen a lot of supers with dogs, but not in Florida.

Jason,
Great picture.  Looks like a lot of personality there.  I try to do the same thing with strays and haven't gotten yelled at yet.  I did get in a minor argument with some idiot whose dog I returned that didn't seem too concerned about the dog being in the street several blocks away, but that's about it. 

John

You can take Brent's story to the bank.  I have been to Huntercombe many times and the dogs on the course (and there are loads of them) are the best behaved beasts I have ever seen.  Still, the star of the show Huntercombe are the Red Kites.  They add fantastic atmosphere to a round.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »
Several years ago, my brother and I drove to Hot Springs to play the Lower Cascades.  We were playing on a weekday as a twosome, and the parking lot was virtually empty.  As we loaded our gear, one of the staff members said "Sam Snead teed off about half an hour ago.  It's probably best not to play up on his group."

On the fifth hole, we noticed a group of five carts, each carrying one person and one bag, on the adjacent sixth.  We stopped and watched Mr. Snead hit from the tee, then from the fairway, before we proceeded.  We were, under no circumstances, going to appear on the same hole he was playing.

As we made the turn, we stopped for a bite and to waste some time, since we were intent on not catching the group ahead. J.C. Snead was practicing on the putting green, and said, "Uncle says for you two to play through."  On the tenth tee, we were greeted by a member of his group, who passed along the same message.

On the twelfth tee, the other members of the group waited on us.  They instructed us to play, even though Mr. Snead's cart was within range in the fairway.  By the time we hit, he had driven near the green on the par five.

I hit two solid shots, and was within twenty feet of the hole (off the green) as we drove up.  Mr. Snead and his golden retriever were standing on the green, and he was tending the pin.  We said hello and proceeded to our balls.  Mr. Snead's dog was laying on the green, about five feet above the pin.  He didn't ask her to move, and neither did I.  I hit a soft shot that caught the edge of the hole and finished about five feet behind it.  Mr. Snead removed the flag, I made the putt, and he said "If it hadn't rained last night, that son of a b***h would have rolled off the green," to which I replied "Thank you, sir."

As we drove to the next tee, all my brother could say was "I just knew you were going to skull the shot, hit the dog, and get beat up by Sam Snead."

Now that would have been a story.

WW

James Bennett

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »
Go to reply No. 40.

Amber , my Yellow Lab, retrieved a dozen Pro V1s  from the hedges alongside the 18th hole at Pebble Beach last Sunday morning.

She was well rewarded.

Bob

Bob

what are you going to do with a dozen Pro V1's?  Is this likely to be a regular occurrence?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:48 AM »
I recently played a muni where a veterinarian plays often. When asked why the dogs in neighboring yards never bark at him, he produced a box of Milk Bones he carries in his bag.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Michael Powers

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
We have a policy against members bringing their dogs on the property at my club.  There are just too many issues with dogs.  The club is not interested in taking on the liability.  Do you walk around with plastic bags in your pocket so your prepared when your "best friend" leaves a present in the rough?
HP

Jason Connor

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Do you walk around with plastic bags in your pocket so your prepared when your "best friend" leaves a present in the rough?

Reach into  any pair of shorts or pants pocket or any jacket pocket in my house and you're likely to find 1, probably 2 plastic bags.

I've also been known to confront other dog owners, offering a bag, and asking "Would you like a bag to clean up after your dog?" in such a tone that means, "Here you better clean that up."

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »
Go to reply No. 40.

She was well rewarded.

Bob

Bob

what are you going to do with a dozen Pro V1's?  Is this likely to be a regular occurrence?

James B

Go to reply No. 40.

She was well rewarded.

Bob

Bob

James B

James,

You bet. The hedge on the right side of the fairway is like an ATM.

Bob

John Mayhugh

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
We have a policy against members bringing their dogs on the property at my club.  There are just too many issues with dogs.  The club is not interested in taking on the liability.  Do you walk around with plastic bags in your pocket so your prepared when your "best friend" leaves a present in the rough?
I always pick up after my dog.  On the rare times I've taken her on the golf course, I've had plastic bags in my golf bag. 

I understand why most courses wouldn't permit players to bring their dogs and know there are plenty of reasons not to.  However, I don't really think cleaning up should be one of them.  I would rather see a pile of dog crap on a golf course than carelessly discarded cigarette butts. 

tlavin

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
I always pick up after my dog.  On the rare times I've taken her on the golf course, I've had plastic bags in my golf bag. 

I understand why most courses wouldn't permit players to bring their dogs and know there are plenty of reasons not to.  However, I don't really think cleaning up should be one of them.  I would rather see a pile of dog crap on a golf course than carelessly discarded cigarette butts. 

This may represent a new low in gca commentary.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »

This may represent a new low in gca commentary.
A new low?  Depends on your perspective.  I don't want to see either one of those on the course, but at least one of them is biodegradeable.

tlavin

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »
John,

Nothing personal (I'm a dog lover), I just never thought we'd be talking about dog dung here.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:05 PM »
John,

Nothing personal (I'm a dog lover), I just never thought we'd be talking about dog dung here.

No problem.  I think we talk about dog sh** fairly often on the site, but it's usually as a description of a course.  ;)

tlavin

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
John,

No problem.  I think we talk about dog sh** fairly often on the site, but it's usually as a description of a course.  ;)

And that, my friend, represents a new "high" on gca commentary!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back