News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Murray at Riviera
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:02:05 PM »
I hope it is true that Jim Murray, the late, great Los Angeles sports columnist, actually said the following about the 10th at Riviera:

"[The hole] is a shameless little harlot that just sits there at the end of the bar in her miniskirt and mesh stockings and winks at you."

Because it is one of the best descriptions of a hole I've ever read.

It also give new meaning to the term "scoring spreads."

Bob

Bill_McBride

Re: Murray at Riviera
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
I've heard that quote many times but never saw it in print (in the L.A. Times).

This could be because I've been lucky enough to never live in L.A.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
I hope it is true that Jim Murray, the late, great Los Angeles sports columnist, actually said the following about the 10th at Riviera:

"[The hole] is a shameless little harlot that just sits there at the end of the bar in her miniskirt and mesh stockings and winks at you."

Because it is one of the best descriptions of a hole I've ever read.

It also give new meaning to the term "scoring spreads."

Bob

Bob,

I have the article from the L.A. Times somewhere in the house and will try to scan and put it up here.

Jim Murray and I had adjacent lockers when I was at Riviera, a very nice man indeed.

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
Bob -

He was also a brilliant and under appreciated writer. The snippets I've seen by him on golf courses are always delightful.

I would love to hear your recollections of him.

Does a collection of his golf pieces exist?

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
How could a guy who wrote for a living that was a member of Riviera be considered underappreciated?  I bet he even owned a house.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
Bob,

Here is a good link for information on Jim Murray. I am not sure about the under appreciated, he did enjoy his Pullitzer Award.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0405/1167972.html

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:08:36 PM »
Bob -

Anyone can (and usually does) win a Pulitzer. ;) But there was only one Jim Murray.

For someone who grew up a continent away, he was a real discovery several years ago when I happened across his writing while putting together a golf calendar. I used everything I could find.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:11:22 PM by BCrosby »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »
I recall a fantastic piece about him in SI by Rick Reilly -- lemme see if I can get the link...

...here it is -- huh, this happens to be the issue with Reilly's awesome writeup of Nicklaus's 1986 Masters (the one with the arm out the scoreboard and the lady in high heels climbing a tree, if I remember correctly): http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064748/index.htm

Mark

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »
Mark - Wonderful. I had not seen the article before. I love the Marilyn Monroe story. Thanks. 

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »
I have read this description of 10 before. He had a way of describing things. I love his description of Spyglass Hill.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
Bob

JIM MURRAY
Sports; PART-C; Sports Desk
1995 / 77th PGA RIVIERA Don't Sell It Short, Especially No. 10
JIM MURRAY
1603 words
10 August 1995
Los Angeles Times

...Therefore, gentlemen meet Riviera!

Hole No. 10-We'll start with No. 10, not because it's the toughest hole on the golf course, but because it's the sneakiest. This is a shameless little harlot that just sits there at the end of the bar in her mesh stockings and miniskirt and winks at you. It's only a little over 300 yards long and looks as driveable as the 405 Freeway. Don't go for it. Take your four-iron and hit it safely-and sensibly-left. The peninsula green will open up from there. If you try to drive it, you will find that green as narrow as a burlesque runway and guarded by traps front and back. I saw Lew Worsham, who was defending champion at the time, take a 10 there in the U.S. Open. Went from trap to trap. Tell your caddie not to hand you your driver even if you threaten to kill him if he doesn't.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back