News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Is architecture a function/product of the end user?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »
Jim Kennedy,

The question isn't about them being acceptable, it's about why they aren't exceptional.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
Pat,
Well, I don't know if any of the courses I mentioned(or any others) are more than acceptable. How do you know there aren't any exceptional ones out there, and if it's true that none are exceptional, I can only surmise it's because they don't have to be.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Moore II

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

Then, why don't great high end resort hotels developed in the last two decades have DECENT (my emphasis) golf courses ?

-- Are all the clubs at Kiawah not decent as you just asked? Or do I misunderstand the meaning of decent? And since we are talking 'decent' (per your own words) are the Wynn and Shadow Creek not 'decent?' And is the Ocean Course at Ginn Hammock not 'decent?'

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 09:37:35 PM »
Patrick:

I think I can answer your question just fine.

Right now I've got a potential client who is a huge international developer, and wants to hire me to build several high-end resort projects, in Mexico, the Caribbean, and elsewhere.  He doesn't understand me too well, so he thinks that it would be a great thing for me to have my name promoted throughout his projects.

The problem is, as a developer of warm-weather resorts, he doesn't think golf is the primary drawing card -- and, being a real estate guy, he knows it's not where the money is.  So setting aside good land for the golf course is third or even fourth on his priority list.  And the more we talk about it, the more I'm sure the deal isn't for me.  I want clients who understand what they have to give up, in order to get a great course.

Some of Mr. Nicklaus' projects in these regions, like Cap Cana and Cabo del Sol, are different; they let him build the course wherever he wants and then build the resort around it (at least until the second owner sells off the oceanfront holes for real estate).  But there is more to building a great course than JUST oceanfront real estate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back