News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric_Terhorst

Why not build a template?
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
This week I received a postcard from the Glen Club, a Chicago area Fazio design I have played several times, and the pretty picture on the card featured the "signature" 11th hole, a par 3 wrapped around water that's a challenging hole, but ultimately just like the course's 17th hole.  See pics below.

The course was built on the site of the former Glenview Naval Air Station, and therefore was as flat as a pancake.  A lot of earth was moved to create  a golf course with some elevation changes and Fazio-ology that would enable achievement of the $175 peak rate.

My question is, if you're going to move a jillion yards of dirt, why not build a couple of template par 3s?  Since it's Master's week when I received the postcard with the pretty pic, I thought, Especially if you're Fazio, and you know way around Augusta National, you could direct your staff to "make a hole that plays like 12 (16) at Augusta."  You don't have to proclaim it to the world, just do it, and let people figure it out if they're so inclined.

Thoughts?

11th hole diagram  ~215 yd par 3

11th hole scenic view

17th hole diagram ~180 yd par 3

17th hole scenic view

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:17:41 PM by Eric_Terhorst »

John Moore II

Re: Why not build a template?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:30:54 PM »
I can see where you are coming from in using a template hole, but then again, I can certainly see why not. In certain cases I can see putting in a template hole, but usually, that is a mark of someone lacking creativity, unless its like TD in Bandon currently. Overall though I think a course will turn out better if it does not use a template hole, like saying build one like 16 at Augusta. It just shows a lack of imagination.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
Eric,
To a point I agree with you. The 9th at Longaberger certainly appeared to be a template version of #12 at Augusta and I'm sure there are many others. It was a pretty good hole although probably nothing like the original not having been to ANGC.

On some level just about everything is some kind of template. Its refreshing when an architect comes up with something totally new and different, but once you've played a few hundred courses its tough to find something that's radically different and unique. Most of that if its there is provided by the land itself.

In absence of interesting land features by all means use the most interesting templates you can think of. Those water holes at the Glen Club certainly aren't anything unique. They may or may not be good holes having not played the course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »
No problem on the template, but wonder why he did two of the same hole on one course.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:49:07 PM »
Maybe they got the holes mixed up when they pulled the green designs from the file drawer.  11 was supposed to be 17???!!!

From the pictures the 215 yard green complex looks more in tune to an 180 yard shot and vice versa!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back