News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Multiple courses on the same plot of ground
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
During research recently, I came across what I think might be a record for number of completely different golf courses occupying the exact same piece of ground.

In 1926, Roxborough Country Club opened a new course off of Ridge Pike in Lafayette Hills, PA.  It was designed by professional Herb Jewson.

I'm not sure when that club went under, but in 1982, CIGNA Corp. opened a corporate retreat and built a new course by Rees Jones called Eagle Lodge.

That course lasted up until 2003 when ACE bought the property and had Gary Player and Warren Henderson design another brand new course, called the ACE Club.

So, three completely different courses on the same land.

Anyone know of any other similar scenarios?   I can think of quite a few with 2, but none with 3 or more.

Anyone have a topper?? 

Joe Bausch

Re: Multiple courses on the same plot of ground
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
And there is no truth to the rumor that as the iterations of the golf courses at that site continue, it hasn't improved.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
Don't have a topper, but Harlowton CC was replaced by Jawbone Creek CC, with a different routing ruining at least the best hole!

:(

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:55 AM »
Pinehurst #4 and........Pinehurst #4. Two completely different courses and routings on the same piece of land. I can think of other times I have heard this as well, but I can't remember what specific courses.

BVince

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »
I got one for you.  Jim Hardy and Peter Jacobsen rerouted the old El Dorado Golf Course (formerly designed by Jim Riviere in the 1960s) and added three new holes giving it a new name under the Redstone Country Club in Humble, Texas.  It hosted the Shell Houston open for two years (02-03) before moving to a brand new location at the same club.  They have two courses at Redstone; the Members course and the Tournament course.

The El Dorado course was an ok layout.  It had a few interesting holes but was destroyed over time without investing in any upkeep of the property.  The ground is normally hard and fast making it play shorter than the yardage on the score card.  I believe Steve Elkington used to play there quite a bit before making it big.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Gerry B

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
My home course  - The National Golf Club of Canada in Toronto is situated on the same land as a club that was called Pine Valley. The road adjacent to the course is called Pine Valley Drive  - hence the name.

When the original founder of The National hired George Fazio and his nephew Tom to design and build the course in the mid 1970's  - they insisted that he buy an additional adjacent piece of land -which i am told is the run of holes from 11-15. I cannot confirm, but was told that The National was the 1st course that Tom routed. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back