News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

I noted how cool it is when an architect's work
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
reflects the character of the people who live in the geographic area of a course. I think Champions Cypress Creek is such an example. Ralph Plummer deserves credit for bringing that out in his design. Can one think of other examples? I think the original Augusta National was a wonderful reflection of the affluent class in the deep south. Does Carnoustie reflect the Scottish character? Is Swinley Forest uniquely London? Or is there a much better example?

George Pazin

Re: I noted how cool it is when an architect's work
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
I haven't had the pleasure, but there is a book called Lazy Days at Lahinch (or something like that) that certainly implies a link between the course and the people who reside there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »
Pinehurst #2 seems to fit right in with the resort and its buildings, fencing etc. It is a good feeling.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
  I'd have to put Lahinch in there. A playful lot - though I stayed in Doolin up the road.  It's sort of a Mecca for golf travellers and the folks in town are quite surrounded by golf.   Give Old Tom credit for that? Sure, why not.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
Tiger,

I was not aware until now that Houstonians were big flat people who consumed lots of greens.

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
Hmmm...how about the opposite (since it is my home course, I'll give it a bash!):

1995: a rock quarry where local kids used to hang out and party (the line in the middle left of the photo is literally the county line, the proverbial "tracks):

2008: post Brian Silva, we have an extremely enjoyable course, and a nice place to live. As for reflecting the character...well...hard to do with a fancy-schmancy country club. The neighbors hate us.  ;)

mjw
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:56:48 PM by Matt Waterbury »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
Tiger

You might be onto something. During research for my book on 9-hole courses I noticed that most were built in areas inhabited by short people.

Anthony

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »
I've also noticed a predominance of dogleg-right holes in red states and dogleg-left holes in blue states.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »
Brad I noticed on courses in very Red states that the holes were all very straight.

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
I think there is a certain architect (ODG) who's greens were always easier to approach from behind......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
Joe:

Is that a comment on the designer or, in staying with the thread, residents of geographic area?

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
Joe:

Is that a comment on the designer or, in staying with the thread, residents of geographic area?

Anthony

Maybe both. An architect does his or her best work when coupled(pun intended) with clients with similar goals.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »
lol I am glad to give Brad and Anthony a good laugh today. 

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:07 PM »
Tiger:

A good laugh? I coughed an entire Cool Ranch Dorito chip out my right nostril!

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back