News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Has the role of putting gotten out of hand?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
Mark,

In theory, but not in practice, especially if the amount of traffic is substantive.

It's difficult to have small highly sloped/contoured greens.

# 1 at NGLA is an exception.

Highly contoured/sloped greens seem to work best in LARGE scale.

It allows for and/or accomodates the "greens within greens" concept better.

# 3 and # 6 green at NGLA are two great examples of highly contoured/sloped greens that work exceedingly well in the play of the game.

While # 1 is also a great green, excessive traffic could be a problem,  AND,
typically, there's not a lot of diversity in the approach shot.

The approach at # 1 at NGLA is basically a wedge.

The approach at # 6 can be a wedge to a 4-iron.

I suspect the range of clubs used on the "short" at OM will also be a good number.  If the green was 2,500 Sq/ft, it would be one club.

Mark_F

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
While # 1 is also a great green, excessive traffic could be a problem

Patrick,

I'm startled to hear that NGLA is having problems with excessive traffic.  Perhaps you will have to stop playing each hole half a dozen times each round. :)

Wouldn't the diversity of the approach shot be linked to the strategy taken from the tee? 

Is the Greg Norman strategy of driving into the front bunker and splashing out achievable for better players?  I see, unfortunately, a lot of amateur players, not necessarily scratch, that can consistently drive it 270 metres plus, so I have to assume such a beast exists in the USA, too.  :)

Depending upon the club chosen from the tee and the conditions, wouldn't a variety of shots, either high and soft, knockdown, pitch and run, have to be played?  I know it will obviously be with a smaller spectrum of clubs, but having to manufacture a range of shots with a lofted club provides more variety than a long iron to a back pin vs a short iron to a front one?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »

While # 1 is also a great green, excessive traffic could be a problem

Patrick,

I'm startled to hear that NGLA is having problems with excessive traffic.  Perhaps you will have to stop playing each hole half a dozen times each round. :)

Where did you hear that ?

I can eliminate a lot of things from my life, but, playing NGLA as often as possible isn't one of them.
[/color]

Wouldn't the diversity of the approach shot be linked to the strategy taken from the tee? 

Only Marginally.

Essentially, 3-iron equals wedge or sand wedge, driver equals L-wedge
[/color]

Is the Greg Norman strategy of driving into the front bunker and splashing out achievable for better players? 

Since I aim at the front right bunker with my driver and attempt to draw the ball to the green or front of the green, I've been in that bunker on more than a few occassions, and, it's not the ideal spot to approach from, especially with hole locations left or back.
[/color]

I see, unfortunately, a lot of amateur players, not necessarily scratch, that can consistently drive it 270 metres plus, so I have to assume such a beast exists in the USA, too.  :)

And, those fellows are left with one of their wedges on most occassions.
[/color]

Depending upon the club chosen from the tee and the conditions, wouldn't a variety of shots, either high and soft, knockdown, pitch and run, have to be played? 

At 327 from an elevated tee, the hole plays shorter, thus most approaches are played from 100 to 54 to just a few yards.  While there can be variety in shot selection, depending upon the location of the drive, it's a short little shot.

Whereas, on # 6, the hole can play from an L-wedge to a medium to long iron.
The wind is much more of a factor on # 6 than it is on the approach shot on # 1.

So, for every variation in shot selection on # 1, with one or two clubs, the same variation exists at # 6 with up to 9 clubs.
[/color]

I know it will obviously be with a smaller spectrum of clubs, but having to manufacture a range of shots with a lofted club provides more variety than a long iron to a back pin vs a short iron to a front one?

There's far more variation in club and shot selection than the two shots you mentioned.   The range of shots is just as great and the number of clubs required is exponentially greater.
[/color]

Joe Perches

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 02:12:20 AM »
While distance remains THE critical factor in putting, absent appreciable or substantive slope and contour, putting might become akin to free throw shooting, where golfers are expected to make them almost every time.

What concerns me is the possibility of high definition mapping of greens with some handheld skycaddy style device that removes the need to read contours and speed.  Imagine plugging in todays stimp, marking your ball, press a button, touch the pin, press a button.  Presto: the device gives you speed and direction to hit your putt.

I don't like that possibility.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back