News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Average Design Fees
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
Does it not surprise anybody that RTJ II is working for 500K?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
I have a strange feeling that these numbers need to be understood within the entire project cost.

There is always a design services contract (explicit or implict).

How much work are they really doing in the field vs when does the design process really stop?

Do other contracts (irrigation??) come under their umbrella?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
Carl,

Some times the irrigation design contract comes under the gca and other times the owner pays separately. I would guess its a 50% proposition, maybe a little weighted to the gca paying as part of his fee.

Field time varies.  I believe JN and TF put full or nearly full time field coordinators out, and have senior design associates visit once a week or more.  Some gca's might only visit once a month and let the contractors have at it, but probably not in that group.  As to design-builders, Tom Doak might answer better than I.  But, I think that Pete Dye took whatever his fee was, and the Owner hired his people separately for on site field time in addition to the fee.  In all cases, the expenses are extra, including any machinery, which is probably rented by the owner.

But, it can vary every time.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
Jeff, beer is expansive... but free beer is free ;D

Ok... I get Ian Andrew for a 99 cent box of Kraft dinner? Or Philippe Binette for a $40 case of beer?

Tough call  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »
Here's another factor that not everyone is aware of...above/beyond the fee for the work is the expenses going to/from, which, depending on how hands-on the architect is, can really add up.

I recall being given a tour of a high-end GC in Mexico a few years back. The Head Pro told me the architect made thirty-five site visits during construction, and each time they were on the hook for business class airfare from the US.  His desire to be on the ground in MX so consistently really added a few bucks to the overall cost of the project.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »
Well, Dan Maples at 1 million is high. And Norman as far as total course quality is high, but for the revenue he can generate, its in line. Other than that, none seem really out of line.

Dan is a super guy and an institution down there in Pinehurst.

Mike_Young

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 09:17:40 AM »
KPMG or whomever....this entire list is pure speculation and BS.....each deal is different.....and based on how much one wants the job and what the competition is charging..... ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »
There are too many variables to this for it to carry any weight.

Here are my variables:

1. Is it a great site - because I'll work for a lot less thinking down the road.
2. Do I have enough work - beats starving especially since I have a new cook ;)
3. Is it in an area that I would like to work in
4. Who's involved - price goes up or down accordingly
5. Are there side benefits - certain cities or countries have appeal since I like to travel
6. What is the associated travel with taking this on and will this wear me out.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
In the case of the range of Dan Maples, I don't know, but I suspect that the range might be because he will work plans only, plans and occaisional supervision, plans and full time supervision, and maybe even plans, full time supervision and shapers.  I think most gca's would do standard services for around $250K, but could find enough add on services for an owner willing to pay for them to get them to $1M.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back