News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Stupid Trees at Oak Hill
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
My pet peeve in golf architecture has surfaced in the 31 May issue of Golfweek on page 12 in an article re: the recent Senior PGA Championship that was held there.

Bernhard Langer: "I hit a real good tee shot down the right right side....but the tree is overhanging one-third of the green......"

Jim Thorpe: "The trees are pretty much...hanging out in the fairways now."

Oak Hill needs the Winged foot treatment so that the course challenges the player FROM THE FAIRWAY as Donald Ross created it ON THE GROUND and not with the addition of "bunkers in the sky".

The 18th at Pebble has been a lousy influence on this subset of golf course design strategy, IMO.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Stupid Trees at Oak Hill
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »
chip - I'd agree.  But Oak Hill has a good deal of emotional attachment to those trees.

IIRC, recent ice storms have done a fair job at pruning out some of the trees.  However, that's obviously not the best way to go.  My brother lives aout 3 miles from the course, and he had a big tree come down and almost damaged his home.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »
I thought Fazio cleared out a few hundred trees a few years ago?   

This may be a problem of trimming and prunning to appease members and it backfires within a few years.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
Interestingly, didn't th tree management program at nearby Monroe go well?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
I think what is needed is a pruning of overly abundant dendrophobes!

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back