News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

I Need Some Help on Tommy Williamson
« on: December 24, 2007, 04:54:04 AM »
As others have pointed out (and I have discovered first hand), this site is great for the dissemination of information.  So I have another query.  

I am currently researching information on a local Nottingham Professional, named Tom Williamson.  He was born in Grantham, England in 1880 and died in 1950. He was Pro at Notts Golf Club but designed many courses throughout England and was responsible, I understand for designing a course in Zurich in 1907 (I believe Dolder).  At the time that one of his brothers, either Edmund or Hugh was professional at the Club.  Can you please help me?

If you do have information I would be obliged if you could let me have details. I thank you in anticipation.

Ciao

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:54:17 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

Re:I Need Some Help on Tommy Williamson
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »
Hi Sean,

I am living about 1 hour from Zurich and know Dolder quite well though I haven't played it for several years. If you let me know what sort of information you want I will see if I can find anything out. Also, the scottish GCA John Chilver-Stainer who often posts on this site redid the greens there in 2004 if I remember rightly so he might be worth asking.

Let me know,

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
Hi Sean,

I am living about 1 hour from Zurich and know Dolder quite well though I haven't played it for several years. If you let me know what sort of information you want I will see if I can find anything out. Also, the scottish GCA John Chilver-Stainer who often posts on this site redid the greens there in 2004 if I remember rightly so he might be worth asking.

Let me know,

Jon

Jon

I am looking for any information about the man or his courses that may (or may not) be interesting.  Its sort of a reconnaissance mission at this point.  Thanks!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
Okay Sean,

I'll see what I can find out.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 05:35:07 AM »
Havent seen Mark (ask the Oracle) Rowlinson round these parts in the last few days, but reply no 33 below suggests he may know more.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=29949;start=msg581421#msg581421

see you Friday.  cheers
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »
Tony, I know little about Williamson, other than that he seems to have designed or at least had some influence over much Nottinghamshire golf. It is a county I occasionally have to pass through by car and its towns (such as Mansfield) are largely ghastly. I can't wait to leave the county, which is a shame because Notts is a great course, Sherwood Forest and Coxmoor well worth a visit, and Worksop is well-reputed. For that matter Lindrick is in part a Nottinghamshire course, although it is staunchly Yorkist as far as county allegiance goes. I remember the cricket commentator Brian Johnston enthusiasing over Radcliffe-on-Trent, which he played on his day off - remember when Test Matches started on a Thursday and finished on a Tuesday with Sunday taken as a rest day? One of the recent Australian test cricketers drove the 11th green at Notts on a day off from a Headingley Test - 360 yards STEEPLY UPHILL! The story goes that they played there the day before a Headingley Test and asked if the club would accept visitors on Sundays. The reply came in the form of a question, 'Aren't you playing a Test Match on that day. Surely it's due to finish on Monday.' 'We'll have finished the English off long before that,' was the Australian reply. Sure enough, they were free, having demolished England soundly.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »
Sean, a lot of people have asked that question, especially the folks at my church.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back