News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Brentwood CC in Los Angeles?
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »
Probably going to do my U.S. Mid-Am qualifier there this summer. What's it like? Big greens, small? Firm and fast or soggy 'n' mushy? Hilly? Flatish?

Thanks!

Bob_Huntley

Re:Brentwood CC in Los Angeles?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
David,

Surprisingly a very good test. I haven't played it for many a year but lived within a mile of the club.

I am not sure, but was told that at one time that the property was a public course and was swapped for Rancho Park some sixty years ago. Seems unlikely but I am sure others can comment on this.

I do know that together with Hillcrest C.C. they have the best dining rooms in the State.

Bob

Gerry B

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »
played there once. Quite tight (trees can be penal if you spray your drives) with some nice green complexes - when they are fast and firm can be a challenge depending on the pins. some very average holes but some standouts as well. a good club for the members who reside in west la and as previously the food was great and the staff very friendly.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
Definitely flatish.  Kikuya fairways.  There's a grassed creek running through the course that comes into play on several holes.  I haven't played it since the Harbottle work but here are some holes of note:

1- Short, dogleg right par 4
4- Longest par 4 but wide and usually plays downwind
5- Par 5 with an alternate green.  The one on right is the primary green and is probably the narrowest approach on the course
6- Uphill dogleg left.  Toughest hole on the front IMO
11- Good 430? yd par 4.  Angled green slopes front to back.
14- Unreachable Par 5.  Fairway slopes left to right.  Layup placed between two trees.  Green is severely back-to-front
16- Nice Par 4 with approach over deep valley to elevated green
18- Straight, 400 yd Par 4 uphill, into the wind
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:29:16 AM by Robert_Ball »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
David:

Everything others here have already said remains true. What I would add, and is of a crucial nature, is the grain direction of the greens. The greens are trickier than they appear and often near contradictory in reads.

I've played here many, many times (lots of college friends remain members) and we always have a caddy named Patrick Moore. He's been there for over a decade, can play a bit and knows every inch of the place. Good luck!!

Steve
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:02:54 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
Steve Lapper may be able to confirm this. When an applicant comes up for membership, the vetting can be quite vigorous. When they ask about your charitable contributions it doesn't pay to say that you plonk in a few bucks to the Salvation Army kettle.

Bob

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »
Bob:

As is usual, you are 100% correct!!

The club practices (like many other clubs of similar persuasion) a very deliberate examination of a prospective member's charitable habits. They look for a contribution threshold that reflects no less than a healthy percentage of your annual income and grant weight to those that benefit certain culturally-biased groups. The club is quite diligent with this process and take pride relative to their peers in the SoCal area.

David:

I did neglect to mention that BCC went through a through irrigation and drainage renovation last year and have managed to increase the year round stimp speed of their greens. Putting skill on these surfaces will ultimately the premier delineator.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back